You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

YOU TUBE

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat

Why does Sky Poker only have some " CLIPS " on you tube ?
It cost nothing, they could film it and when they stop filming it automaticly  uploads
costing NOTHING
They could have ALL types of games, tournies going but choose to put up some clips
Maybe TIKAY can explain

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Seeing as you put it so nicely I'm sure he'll be happy to explain 
  • edited April 2015
    I'd assume tikay/richs houry wage isn't cheap so i'd take a guess thats why. 

100% agree we could have loads up there if there was an alternative
  • edited April 2015
    I assume this is talking about the 2hr live shows and other material (eg UKPC, Sky cash game etc) that could, fairly easily(?), be added to youtube a week or so after the live showing... rather than recording new material specifically for youtube.

I can't imagine there are ever going to be repeats of the Tuesday show(?) so chucking it up on youtube may be a good additional way of advertising the site for very little effort?  Much the same as how some of the bigger name twitchers stick their stream (or highlights of a stream) for viewers to dig back into.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to YOU TUBE:
    Why does Sky Poker only have some " CLIPS " on you tube ? It cost nothing, they could film it and when they stop filming it automaticly  uploads costing NOTHING They could have ALL types of games, tournies going but choose to put up some clips Maybe TIKAY can explain
    Posted by bludreid11
    Hi bluereid,

Happy to (try to) explain, but I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

What exactly are you suggesting that Sky Poker TV should or could upload to You Tube?

FWIW, in addition to the short sharp clips which are currently being produced every Tuesday, & released daily, they are editing the Sky Poker UKPC in readiness for transmission next month.

The best viewing figures (in aggregate) for Sky Poker You Tube Clips are....

Sky Poker Cash Game (various editions).

Some of the stuff we shot in Las Vegas in prior years.

For current clips, the metrics tells us "short, sharp, high energy" secure the best returns.

I'm not a SEO expert, but I'm not sure that uploading wall to wall "uncut" MTT's, SNG's or cash games would be very viewer friendly, to be honest. Most of the content would be dead air, showing people passing pre-flop is just not viewer friendly.

If you could explain exactly what you mean, I'll try & give a better reply. 

PS - completely off-topic, but I have it in my imagination that you are an Everton fan. Is that so, or is it just further confirmation that I've lost the plot? 
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: YOU TUBE:
    In Response to YOU TUBE : Hi bluereid, Happy to (try to) explain, but I'm not sure I fully understand the question. What exactly are you suggesting that Sky Poker TV should or could upload to You Tube? FWIW, in addition to the short sharp clips which are currently being produced every Tuesday, & released daily, they are editing the Sky Poker UKPC in readiness for transmission next month.   The best viewing figures (in aggregate) for Sky Poker You Tube Clips are.... Sky Poker Cash Game (various editions).   Some of the stuff we shot in Las Vegas in prior years. For current clips, the metrics tells us "short, sharp, high energy" secure the best returns. I'm not a SEO expert, but I'm not sure that uploading wall to wall "uncut" MTT's, SNG's or cash games would be very viewer friendly, to be honest. Most of the content would be dead air, showing people passing pre-flop is just not viewer friendly.   If you could explain exactly what you mean, I'll try & give a better reply.  PS - completely off-topic, but I have it in my imagination that you are an Everton fan. Is that so, or is it just further confirmation that I've lost the plot? 
    Posted by Tikay10
    You tube is FREE, sky could film anything, edit it or send out with a delay
    I am no expert but im sure that if GAMERS can fill the screen with hours of content, im sure that a sophisticated outlet like sky could turn their mind to producing some interesting plays.
    I will get someone that understands better to give sky some idea of what they can do, again free of charge.
    there is NO storage costs, so they could film edit for a whole tourney, STILL AT NO COST
    But to only put up some clips seems to me they have NO INTEREST in customer wants
    No I am NOT an Everton Fan
    I AM A BAIRN, I HAVE SUPPORTED FALKIRK ALL MY LIFE
    WHY GROW UP WHEN YOU CAN STAY A BAIRN
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to YOU TUBE :  the metrics tells us "short, sharp, high energy" secure the best returns.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Like your 30 second segment on the Tue 21st show? ;-) Cut off mid-sentence haha

• edited April 2015

I was curious as to the answer to this one so I asked.

The answer comes in the first line. It most definitely does not cost nothing. The uploading of material onto YouTube involves a fella who works at Sky Poker TV taking time to do that. He could spend his time on putting up the Tuesday show in a pretty raw form, no editing just stick it up as it goes out, or he could use the time to come up with smaller segments and put them up.

Given that around 25,000 people tune in on a Tuesday (50,000 on a good night) and estimates are that maybe 2,000 would watch the shows via YouTube it has been decided that making lots of small clips that get between 2,000 and 10,000 views is a better plan. It is a definite view of Sky Poker that short videos do much better in terms of attracting viewers, particularly when shared on Facebook or through Twitter. The aim here is to get the material out to potential new players and the content is very much geared towards that.

I believe there are plans to take highlights from the Tuesday shows and make YouTube clips from them. 

The plan is definitely to have some educational stuff like the explanations of poker terms that Ryan has done, some poker analysis that Stu has done and some "magazine" style stuff like Tikay's A-Z of poker and Vegas tips.

I'm keen to get involved in doing some of these things but research has shown that short is way better than long in these things and we'll be searching for a nice concise format.  
  • edited April 2015
     I was curious as to the answer to this one so I asked.  The answer comes in the first line. It most definitely does not cost nothing. The uploading of material onto YouTube involves a fella who works at Sky Poker TV taking time to do that. He could spend his time on putting up the Tuesday show in a pretty raw form, no editing just stick it up as it goes out, or he could use the time to come up with smaller segments and put them up.  Given that around 25,000 people tune in on a Tuesday (50,000 on a good night) and estimates are that maybe 2,000 would watch the shows via YouTube it has been decided that making lots of small clips that get between 2,000 and 10,000 views is a better plan. It is a definite view of Sky Poker that short videos do much better in terms of attracting viewers, particularly when shared on Facebook or through Twitter. The aim here is to get the material out to potential new players and the content is very much geared towards that.  I believe there are plans to take highlights from the Tuesday shows and make YouTube clips from them.   The plan is definitely to have some educational stuff like the explanations of poker terms that Ryan has done, some poker analysis that Stu has done and some "magazine" style stuff like Tikay's A-Z of poker and Vegas tips.  I'm keen to get involved in doing some of these things but research has shown that short is way better than long in these things and we'll be searching for a nice concise format.  
    Posted by NChanning

I think you have put this very well, very honestly, you are stating clear as day current customers are no longer a focus for sky, we are but a number. Why put out the 2 hour show for those of us who want to watch it for enjoyment on you tube when daily short bursts will get more new players in and more views. Great to have you on board! Research and numbers do not always make the best business sense. I often tell my team that the work they do in the office on numbers is great, but the work they do with their people, their customers, that is what provides the business with the edge on others and a massive ingredient in the quest for success.

• edited April 2015

I'm confused. I read back what I wrote to double check I didn't at any stage say that current customers are no longer a focus for Sky Poker. It seems I didn't say that.

What I did say, and I apologise if I didn't make it clear, was that it is not correct to say that the YouTube channel is something that costs no money to produce content for, that resources are needed to update and upload things and that the decision as to which direction the YouTube channel would take is that there will be lots of short clips on there rather than spending a large amount of time on putting up the Tuesday shows.

I am aware that Sky Sports 4 is a subscription channel but I don't understand the view that it's not available for those that want to watch it. There are between 25,000 and 50,000 watching it each week and the estimate is that maybe 2,000 might watch it if the time was taken to put it on YouTube. Clearly most people that want to watch it are watching it.

I think what I said was that the emphasis on the YouTube channel was towards new customers.
  • edited April 2015
     I'm confused. I read back what I wrote to double check I didn't at any stage say that current customers are no longer a focus for Sky Poker. It seems I didn't say that.  What I did say, and I apologise if I didn't make it clear, was that it is not correct to say that the YouTube channel is something that costs no money to produce content for, that resources are needed to update and upload things and that the decision as to which direction the YouTube channel would take is that there will be lots of short clips on there rather than spending a large amount of time on putting up the Tuesday shows.  I am aware that Sky Sports 4 is a subscription channel but I don't understand the view that it's not available for those that want to watch it. There are between 25,000 and 50,000 watching it each week and the estimate is that maybe 2,000 might watch it if the time was taken to put it on YouTube. Clearly most people that want to watch it are watching it.  I think what I said was that the emphasis on the YouTube channel was towards new customers.
    Posted by NChanning
    Thanks for your input.
    Im sure you asked sky about their intentions, and they gave their stock reply.
    Yes there will be a wage cost, but going through what they have put on you tube, it must be minimum wage.
    Most of the content is from a long time ago, even put up a clip that was made by someone else, it was funny, BUT NOT SKY POKER CLIP. my main point is, that if some teenage gamer can sit in his bedroom and produce endless hours of his game on you tube, surely SKY could put out better than a few clips.
    On your point of attracting new customers, look at what they have uploaded, would YOU be interested ?
    Rather than have someone upload stuff that is years old, and was shown on sky poker TV, they could do the same as they used to do. In fact they could do more. In the past, they would edit and show BIG cash games, but with you tube they could film, edit  upload as much as they pleased.
    AT THE COST OF THAT MAN.
    It all depends what they want to give their LOYAL customers.
    Last point, have a look at the views they get
  • edited April 2015

When I first started playing poker, I joined sky, I looked at other sites but thought that sky seemed to be the most fun.
    I am not a big time player and never will be, I don't have the bankroll.
    I still play but a big plug seems to have been pulled and all the fun has been drained out
    To start with " team sky " with lolufold, glitterbabe, dantb10 and ljamesl showed me not only how to play, but make it a happy experience.
    There was the SHED, where some of the comments were sheer comic genius, but the shed police shut it down because they did not understand the humour.
    Then the " live " play, most of your players wanted the chance to see themselves on t.v. now that's gone as well.
    I do understand that its a business, but ALL businesses depend on customers, and CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.
    The best thing sky have done in recent months was to let Anna Fowler play on t.v.
    Not for big stakes but when she was at the table, there was a queue to get on, DO YOU WONDER WHY ?
    The shift to you tube COULD put the fun back into sky poker, I DOUBT IT, but at least they could try.
    Maybe the sky generals will look at you tube and see what a teenager in his bedroom can do
    and maybe increase the coverage of the tables.
    There is many a game at 2p 4p or 5p 10p that are worth showing, if only to show BAD PLAY
    Perhaps this gives you a better idea of what my original point was.
    It seems that sky just want to be a gambling site
  • edited May 2015

I've had a look at the number of viewers Blu. I think you could be right. Most of the short clips currently have a few hundred viewers and it's unlikely they'll get 5000 or more. They certainly are all intended to be non-time sensitive and can be used again though. I'm not so sure the whole show can be and so getting the one guy who is allocated to spend his time on YouTube stuff to spend 20% of his time on something that might get a few hundred views and will go out of date quickly, it has been decided, is not a good use of the resource. I don't believe that any of the Sky Poker TV guys are earning minimum wage.

On the subject of big cash games are you talking about online poker or the live cash games, one or two of which I played in, which ran for about three days and were filmed for the Sky Sports channels and are still seen on YouTube?

If it's those you meant, I agree they are very popular. I believe there are plans to do more of them in the future and I'm sure they will appear on YouTube. I'm not sure what made you think the production costs of those would be very low though. I don't really know but my guess would be high five figures.

In terms of gamers producing stuff in their bedroom I'm not sure that Sky Poker TV are planning to simply fill up the YouTube channel with lots of cheaply made stuff for the sake of having something there. They have a brand identity and I'm sure they would want to protect that. I don't quite understand how lots of cheap content would help that. If you simply want to watch hours of random people playing online poker with no commentary, analysis provided by people who may not even be winning players, low production quality, no editing then I'm sure the internet has thousands of hours of that stuff available. I'm just not sure why Sky Poker TV would want to consider going down that route and why you want them to. 
  • edited May 2015

Just touching on one point by Bluereid there, "look at the views they get". 

Viewers cannot possibly know how many views they get.

You Tube shows "views".

Poker Tube, who also distribute our Videos also show views, but these are not included in the You Tube views.

The biggest number of views come from Facebook, & these are not included in the totals shown on You Tube.

The 2nd largest come from the SkyPoker.com site - these views are not included in the You Tube views total, either.

As to recording Cash Games, such as those we done before, these get excellent views, + coverage on Sky Sports & Challenge TV, & we are well on with plans to do 2 more series, the first of which is likely to be done in a few months time. For the moment, most of the Sky Poker TV technical resource are working on the Edit for the last UKPC, which will go to air in a 7 part series starting next month, in parallel with developing the new Shows, & one or two other matters yet to be announced.

Sky Poker TV remains a big financial investment, & we convene as a Team every week to develop it, & report up to Senior Management on progress. How long it will last, I've no idea, but it won't be for lack of effort on the TV Team's part, or support from Management.

Of course, we are never all going to agree on the best way forward, but that goes with the territory.   

• edited May 2015
    If you simply want to watch hours of random people playing online poker with no commentary, analysis provided by people who may not even be winning players, low production quality, no editing then I'm sure the internet has thousands of hours of that stuff available. I'm just not sure why Sky Poker TV would want to consider going down that route and why you want them to. 
    Posted by NChanning
    So this suggests that Sky won't be jumping on the Twitch bandwagon for the forseeable future?
  • edited May 2015
    I don't think OP is suggesting posting raw un-edited footage - I think he means posting the live shows that are shown on Skysports on youtube?