You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Average starting hands and how to work out your odds on a hand...

Im just wondering if anyone can tell me more about how to work out my odds on a hand, how to know if I have the price to call etc. I know it depends on what hand I have got.

Also depending on how many people are at the table the worth of your starting hands can vary, was hoping to get some more information on that.

Thanks

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Blimey that's a small question that involves a huuuuge answer.
    Basically working out your odds means counting your perceived outs and working out the chance of you hitting one of them.  A rule of thumb is to multiply your outs by 2 for each card left to come..... so if you have 8 outs on the flop you have aprox 32% chance of hitting or 2-1 (8 outs x 2 x 2 cards = 32)

Obviously your starting hand would be dilluted with more players but you should be looking at this in conjunction with your position, previous action, players to act after you, and a whole host of other stuff
  • edited January 2010
    for example...... 9 handed you could hold AQ on the button.  UTG raises and a tight player in mid position 3bets (re-raises.)  Depending on yr chipstack it would normally be a fold.
    Same hand where MP super loose player raises you may want to re-raise yourself.
    There's just too much info to work with to go into specifics.

I suggest you google 'poker starting hands' or similar and do some reading.... there's bundles of info out there
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for the help.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Average starting hands and how to work out your odds on a hand...:
    Im just wondering if anyone can tell me more about how to work out my odds on a hand, how to know if I have the price to call etc. I know it depends on what hand I have got. Also depending on how many people are at the table the worth of your starting hands can vary, was hoping to get some more information on that. Thanks
    Posted by Chip_a_Dee
    If you buy "Harrington on Hold'em Vol 1: Strategic Play" you'll learn about starting hands, position, pot odds, hand analysis etc. A goldmine. (I am not on commission!)