You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky disconnect time

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat
Just lost a £30 hyper cause my internet went down which was enough time for my opponent to steal most of my blinds. It took me only a couple minutes to connect to portable hotspot and load the table but even by then I'd lost just over half my starting stack. 

I don't see why sky can't account for disconnects in HU games and allow you a reasonable amount of time (2 mins?) to re-connect? Obviously in a 6 max game then you don't want to slow down the game for everyone if 1 person dc's but also it's less relevant in 6max anyway since you aren't in blinds every hand and each hand maybe takes a little less than a minute on avg so you can only lose 1 and a half blinds max if you dc for 2 mins and are in blinds both times. 

But in a HU game especially a hyper one then you go through the blinds every hand and each hand takes about 5 seconds or less if opponent is mashing m-r as quick as possible.

Comments

• edited May 2015
  • edited May 2015

I read this. I wasn't ignoring it just pondering.

My first thought was "Why not?". I hate those people that blind you out in that spot. I never like to do that but if some people are nice and others are not then the others are getting a big advantage.

The reason I was pondering was I thought "Why don't they already do it?".

I guess the answer is that it takes a change in the software and that costs money and for the number of times it happens it maybe isn't worth the spend. 

I do remember one "top pro", (using very loosely), boasting to people during the height of the Isuldur being a massive mystery man and killing everyone over 50 tables for $1ms thing, that he waited for Viktor to type in "off to sleep now" and log off all his tables as he'd carefully had them all up and he saw one $10,000 HU table that was still there with Isuldur waiting for action. He left it ten to fifteen mins and sat and "beat" the absent Viktor.

I thought that was pretty disgusting but I don't know why it should be more disgusting than someone doing it for £10.

• edited May 2015

I view it as part of the variance. It probably levels out in the long run, your opponents will get disconnected roughly as often as you over a big sample, even if selective memory might convince you otherwise.

Once I was heads-up in an MTT here when my opponent disconnected and never returned. We were 60bb effective at the time. With hindsight I think he had to go out, the last few hands he played before vanishing he quickly moved all-in pre-flop regardless of position or action, nothing was said in the chat-box.

Another time I got disconnected when we broke to a BH final table. I had three times as many chips as the guy in second. I could rail the table, but couldn't take my seat no matter what I tried. It took nearly an hour for me to blind out in fourth place. At the time I was mid-way through my 1000 points to £1,000 BR challenge. Frustrating, but I'm sure there have been times I've forgotten about when it's an opponent who disconnected at FT.

• edited May 2015
    In years gone by when Online Poker was in its infancy and internet wasnt quite as stable as it is these days that part of the skill in poker was just how quick you could recognise and reboot your PC !!!

I dont agree with "abusing" a major disconnection especially when multiple people have dropped offline. I have been on tables where the remaining players (sit n go) played the clock to assist the other players and I have also seen people abuse it. The happiest times are when one of these guys goes all-in to nick some blinds just have a player reconnect with pocket aces !!

Thankfully although we all suffer disconnections it is a lot less then it was 10 years ago ...

• edited May 2015

This happened to me a few months ago when I was playing a SNG. I was heads up against FlashFlush and he was disconnected quite early in the battle. I decided to give him five minutes – folding all my small blinds, so that if/when he came back our stacks were the same as when he left. He came back after about three minutes and I think I lost after that! That’ll teach me to be nice.

Of course, if it was someone I didn’t like I’d just be mashing the raise button too.

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky disconnect time:
    I view it as part of the variance. It probably levels out in the long run, your opponents will get disconnected roughly as often as you over a big sample, even if selective memory might convince you otherwise. Posted by GaryQQQ
    I think this depends on how you view Monkey's post about abusing the situation though. 

If you are always the good guy that folds until the oppo returns but the oppos mash buttons to blind you out, it makes no difference that you lose connection as much as anyone else :/

Some sort of disconnect protection would be fantastic (for all games), but appreciate that it probably costs loads to change software and probably doesn't add hugely to extra income from Sky (given that the rec masses seem to want super-quick poker and probably like the fact they don't have to wait for an age for people to reconnect on Sky).