You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Would you call?

edited May 2015 in The Poker Clinic
Situation: MTT, blinds 500/1000 about 70 players remaining, 40 get paid.

Player 1: 12BB in Cut-Off
Player 2: 25BB on button

Neither player has appeared to be getting out of line.

Player 1 opens for 1000 

Player 2 3bets to 2500 with AJ offsuit
Blinds fold

Player 1 jams

Without a solid read on Player 1 I figure AJ is playable in position but I can't decide whether calling the jam makes sense in this situation. For me, in the early stages it's an insta fold to a jam but there must be a point when it becomes a must play hand. I guess it's an ICM decision but I can't seem to get a feel for the correct line.

My question is, if you are player 2 would you

a. Fold to the min raise
b. Flat call pre and re-evaluate the flop
c. 3 bet to 2500 (or some other amount) and fold to a jam
d. 3 bet to 2500 (or some other amount) and call a jam
e. 3 bet jam

If you think the correct play is a fold, at what point does that change?

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Would you call?:
    Situation: MTT, blinds 500/1000 about 70 players remaining, 40 get paid. Player 1: 12BB in Cut-Off Player 2: 25BB on button Neither player has appeared to be getting out of line. Player 1 opens for 1000  Player 2 3bets to 2500 with AJ offsuit Blinds fold Player 1 jams Without a solid read on Player 1 I figure AJ is playable in position but I can't decide whether calling the jam makes sense in this situation. For me, in the early stages it's an insta fold to a jam but there must be a point when it becomes a must play hand. I guess it's an ICM decision but I can't seem to get a feel for the correct line. My question is, if you are player 2 would you a. Fold to the min raise b. Flat call pre and re-evaluate the flop c. 3 bet to 2500 (or some other amount) and fold to a jam d. 3 bet to 2500 (or some other amount) and call a jam e. 3 bet jam If you think the correct play is a fold, at what point does that change? Any help is much appreciated.
    Posted by BarMan53
    Did the player min raise to 2k or limp?
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Would you call?:
    In Response to Would you call? : Did the player min raise to 2k or limp?
    Posted by MattBates
    Player 1 (Cutoff) opened with a min raise .

Player 2 (Button) with AJ bumps it up to2500

Player 1 jams with 11 bb
  • edited May 2015
    Yeah its a bit unclear what the crack is in the OP.

If he's m/r from a 12bb stack and you've 3bet, it has to be with the intention of getting it in. 3bet folding wouldn't be a great line!

As ever, it's gonna come down to in game flow and dynamic. Vs some players its an easy 3bet call it off, vs some it would be a snap fold to the initial raise. Other things to consider are the stack sizes in the blinds; if they have less than the original raiser, then a 3bet jam could be an option. However, if they have decent stacks then 3bet jamming could be a disaster if they have a premium hand lurking in the blinds.

In a complete vacuum, not many people on Sky (IMO) open raise light from a 12bb stack. Just folding, although it feels a bit weak, could be the best option. Not sure AJo plays that well vs villains range.

Bates will give you a better answer, but thems my thoughts :)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Would you call? : Player 1 (Cutoff) opened with a min raise . Player 2 (Button) with AJ bumps it up to2500 Player 1 jams with 11 bb
    Posted by BarMan53

if the blinds are 500/1000  and player 1 has opened with a min raise to 2000 then how can player 2 bump it up to 2500?? its pretty confusing....

if you mean he has opened to 2k and you have raised another 2.5k on top to make it 4.5k then you would have to call as you cant 3 bet then fold to a stack that size.

if he has just open limped for 1k and you have then made it 2.5k then you can fold if you think he has it.... generally its a very polarising range, he will either be doing it with aa/kk  or hands such as small pairs and j10s kjos etc.. i dont think players will ever do this with aq/aj etc so you will either be crushing,flipping, or a slight chance you are crushed.. it just depends on your opinion of the player whether you should call or not.
  • edited May 2015

Sorry, I suffered a senior moment!

Blinds 250/500

Player 1 (Cutoff): 12k Chips (24 bb)
    Player 2 (Button): 25k Chips (49 bb)

Bet sizing above is correct.

SB and BB are both average stacks, Player 2 is the big stack and Player 1 is the table short stack.
  • edited May 2015
    Sorry, I suffered a senior moment! Blinds 250/500 Player 1 (Cutoff): 12k Chips (24 bb) Player 2 (Button): 25k Chips (49 bb) Bet sizing above is correct. SB and BB are both average stacks, Player 2 is the big stack and Player 1 is the table short stack.
    Posted by BarMan53
    This changes everything ;)

Yeah pretty happy to 3bet here for sure, peeling also an option with position.

Not sure I call off a 4bet jam, would be entirely an in game decision plus any history. In a vacuum, I'd lean towards fold.
  • edited May 2015

I'm happy to 3b and get it in with AJ with less than 20bb. In this hand I am folding without some serious history/reads.

I'm am distinctly average.