You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bounty Hunter, ITM spot. What is your calling range?

edited May 2015 in Tournament Strategy
£5.75 Bounty Hunter, 11 paid. After a period of tight bubble play the short stacks are ready to double or bust now they've made the money.

With 9 players remaining you find yourself on the big blind facing a button shove and a small blind re-shove. You have both covered comfortably. Each has a bounty of around £4.50 on their head. You have a fairly aggressive image after abusing the bubble. You've also been seen to call (correctly, but lose) one all-in pre-flop shove post-flop since the bubble burst.

You recognise player A as a regular in these games, a fairly decent player. Player B is not known to you. What is your calling range here?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Small blind  400.00 400.00 4065.00
GaryQQQ Big blind  800.00 1200.00 19743.75
  Your hole cards

Fold     
 Fold     
AAll-in  4840.00 6040.00 0.00
BAll-in  4065.00 10105.00 0.00
GaryQQQ
1st £60.56
2nd £38.89
3rd £24.23
4th £19.66
5th £16.04
6th £13.39
7th £11.26
8th £9.14
9th £7.01
10th £7.01
11th £5.31

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Pretty wide here, Any pairs, Ax, suited kings, broadway combos and maybe hands like 910 suited
  • edited May 2015
    Slightly tighter here, but still pretty wide.

As Matt, except on Kings-K J/K 9s plus
  • edited May 2015
    I wouldn't call with any pairs here - certainly not with two shoves in front of me. Maybe 7s and above.

But perhaps that's too tight.
  • edited May 2015
    4-6bb swing depending on of we win the sidepot.  Might as well ask me what i wouldnt call with.  Its not unreasonable to suspect our oppos are sharing an out.  We likely have 30% with virtually ATC.  If its a mistake its not going to be a big mistake and we still have 18bbs in an antelees format if it goes south.  

I can find alot more reasons to call ATC than to find a foldable range.
  • edited May 2015
    Probably almost any 2. Might let complete junk like J2o go, but anything remotely playable or suited is a green light for me.

Think I'd much rather call with a J9s than A4o.
  • edited May 2015
    4k to win 10k means we need around 28% to make the call '+ chip ev' ?

That's before considering bounty equity.

I don't know how important the bounty factor is, but I'd set my line at looking for around 22/23% equity here?

There's no real difference in playability between a 25xbb stack and a 20xbb stack, and no real ICM considerations at this stage, so I think we can be abit more speculative here?

I'd give the shover something like 22+,A2s+,K6s+,Q8s+,J9s+,T9s,A2o+,K8o+,Q9o+,JTo...

The small blind obviously slightly tighter but still quite wide with 22+,A4s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,A5o+,KTo+,QJo....

Against these ranges all suited hands have a minimum of 23% equity, which makes them all good enough for me to call. 

Looking at non-suited hands the worst still have around 19%, which may well be enough to call I'm not sure? Not very good at maffs. 

Looks like 43o+ gives us > 22%

So I'd go with every suited hand, 43o+ and obviously all pairs. 

22 is a break even call against my ranges in a non-bounty hunter coming in at 28% equity, factor in the bounties and it looks like a really poor fold here. 
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunter, ITM spot. What is your calling range?:
    4k to win 10k means we need around 28% to make the call '+ chip ev' ? That's before considering bounty equity. I don't know how important the bounty factor is, but I'd set my line at looking for around 22/23% equity here? There's no real difference in playability between a 25xbb stack and a 20xbb stack, and no real ICM considerations at this stage, so I think we can be abit more speculative here? I'd give the shover something like 22+,A2s+,K6s+,Q8s+,J9s+,T9s,A2o+,K8o+,Q9o+,JTo... The small blind obviously slightly tighter but still quite wide with 22+,A4s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,A5o+,KTo+,QJo.... Against these ranges all suited hands have a minimum of 23% equity, which makes them all good enough for me to call.  Looking at non-suited hands the worst still have around 19%, which may well be enough to call I'm not sure? Not very good at maffs.  Looks like 43o+ gives us /> 22% So I'd go with every suited hand, 43o+ and obviously all pairs.  22 is a break even call against my ranges in a non-bounty hunter coming in at 28% equity, factor in the bounties and it looks like a really poor fold here. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    22 is always a poor fold :) 
  • edited May 2015
    JJ+ and 22 obv
  • edited May 2015
    4-6bb swing depending on of we win the sidepot.  Might as well ask me what i wouldnt call with.  Its not unreasonable to suspect our oppos are sharing an out.  We likely have 30% with virtually ATC.  If its a mistake its not going to be a big mistake and we still have 18bbs in an antelees format if it goes south.   I can find alot more reasons to call ATC than to find a foldable range.
    Posted by AMYBR
    +1
  • edited May 2015
    I'm with the just-about ATC guys.

I actually made the call with 52s, losing to player A's AQo. Player B was eliminated with ATo.

At first glance it might look terrible calling two shoves that wide, but after reviewing the hand history I'm satisfied it was the correct decision. Before posting the hand here I'd already estimated their ranges and run through the maths, coming to very similar conclusions to DOHHHHHHH.

As it was against their exact hands I had 33% equity, more than I expected, and a snap call if their cards were turned face-up.
  • edited May 2015
    I'm with the just-about ATC guys. I actually made the call with 52s, losing to player A's AQo. Player B was eliminated with ATo. At first glance it might look terrible calling two shoves that wide, but after reviewing the hand history I'm satisfied it was the correct decision. Before posting the hand here I'd already estimated their ranges and run through the maths, coming to very similar conclusions to DOHHHHHHH. As it was against their exact hands I had 33% equity, more than I expected, and a snap call if their cards were turned face-up.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

This is were you made your mistake.

If it was 52d you would have won
  • edited May 2015
    I disagree with dohh here i think there is a very big difference between 20 and 25bbs at this stage in the tournament with stacks so shallow, if you triple someone up then now they have a stack to hurt you, if they just double up then you can still pressurise them greatly... i consider myself a very loose player but id have a pretty tight range here as trippling someone up is a nightmare here as we want to be going for a win, if you are just doing the maths for the hand then you can convince yourself to call very light, if you look at how this hand affects the tournament as a whole then that changes everything greatly.

id be calling with 88plus and ace10 plus... also i may call with 89suited, 910 suited etc... but anything slightly junky would be an easy fold.
  • edited May 2015
    I disagree with dohh here i think there is a very big difference between 20 and 25bbs at this stage in the tournament with stacks so shallow, if you triple someone up then now they have a stack to hurt you, if they just double up then you can still pressurise them greatly... i consider myself a very loose player but id have a pretty tight range here as trippling someone up is a nightmare here as we want to be going for a win, if you are just doing the maths for the hand then you can convince yourself to call very light, if you look at how this hand affects the tournament as a whole then that changes everything greatly.

id be calling with 88plus and ace10 plus... also i may call with 89suited, 910 suited etc... but anything slightly junky would be an easy fold.
  • edited May 2015
    I disagree with dohh here i think there is a very big difference between 20 and 25bbs at this stage in the tournament with stacks so shallow, if you triple someone up then now they have a stack to hurt you, if they just double up then you can still pressurise them greatly... i consider myself a very loose player but id have a pretty tight range here as trippling someone up is a nightmare here as we want to be going for a win, if you are just doing the maths for the hand then you can convince yourself to call very light, if you look at how this hand affects the tournament as a whole then that changes everything greatly. id be calling with 88plus and ace10 plus... also i may call with 89suited, 910 suited etc... but anything slightly junky would be an easy fold.
    Posted by jordz16
    No offence but that's a pretty horrific calling range, dunno how anyone could even consider folding 77 here ever. I also don't get why you've included 89s but not much better hands to call with like QJ, KT, basically any paint cards.

Losing doesn't really hurt us, but winning (which will be a +ev call with nearly ATC) gives us like 35+ BB and 2 heads so puts us in a great spot to win. Can't pass this spot imo
  • edited May 2015
    With the odds offered, our stack, relative stacks and bounty equity/values involved here, this is my order of actions.

1)  Click call

2)  Look at my hand.

This MTT plays pretty shallow at the deep end and I feel our stack is just about big enough to spin this.  I'm considering the top end money from the non bounty prizepool is really what we want but the drop if we lose both pots is, imo, worth the risk from this stack when compared to reward on offer at these odds.  If we were on 10bb-15bb then I am a lot more twitchy about calling off as losing hurts our chances of winning the thing much more.

Also I love the fact the second guy has less than the first guy, the SBs range should be much more pair orientated so this gives us a much better chance to bink the side pot and scoop the bounty with a wider range.

Good call imo.