You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sorry that was awful

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat
You said you was going to follow the timed event on channel 4. When TK got knocked out you stopped following it totally. Not one single hand or any mention after that, unbeliveably you did not even give the result, I find it hard to belive that this happened it was disgraceful. I know I won so it will sound like sourer grapes, but here some good performances from other players too. We all know who actually wins is down to luck, but players like Bambus, TommyD, allagher< Cregster, Mikeycb etc did well but no mention. Obviously this can only come from someone who has done well, as those that have done poorly do not know as they are no longer in it. I want an explainaton please.

Comments

• edited May 2015

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure how to answer that.

First up, congrats on your win. I was on your table briefly, & you were positively rampant.

There was not, or not as far as I am aware, ever any commitment to follow that Timed Tourney from pillar to post, though I perfectly understand why you, & perhaps others, would wish that to be the case. A 50 runner (approx.) £11 MTT is not, in truth, the sort of thing that will offer a good viewing experience to Sky Sports viewers.

It's purpose on the Show is simply to follow the Studio Guest or Analyst. Unfortunately for all, that was me last night, & to say it went badly would be understating the case. And yes, "in before", I can't imagine why anyone would want to sit & watch me play a NLH MTT, but that's the basis of the Show at present, following those in the studio.

I don't recall exactly what Anna said at the top of the Show, but I would have thought it would be something along the lines of "....and we will also be following tikay's progress in a Timed Tournament".

If you wish me to pass it up to the Producer for comment, let me know, & I'll do so, though I can't promise they will respond. 

I do get your point, it would have been nice to at least mention the result, but the Producers need to have in mind the X0,000 Sky Sports viewers when deciding what to, or not to, show.

Anyway, that's not going to appease you, I fancy, but it's the best I can offer, & I'm certainly sorry to hear you were upset. 

Congrats on the result.   

• edited May 2015

i want to write something to make this better for sir-gary.  so here's my effort...

you might know that sir-gary is even more of a tv tart than tommyd. 

sir-gary is just miffed as this new tv opportunity passed by without anyone noticing. 

however, there is a new reality tv series starting soon.  it is either going to be called, "gary's got talent" or, "strictly sir-gary" or, "i'm sir-gary, get me on tv".

ps.  has your tan from punta cana faded yet? 
    pps.  mine has.

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Sorry that was awful:
    You said you was going to follow the timed event on channel 4. When TK got knocked out you stopped following it totally. Not one single hand or any mention after that, unbeliveably you did not even give the result, I find it hard to belive that this happened it was disgraceful. I know I won so it will sound like sourer grapes, but here some good performances from other players too. We all know who actually wins is down to luck, but players like Bambus, TommyD, allagher< Cregster, Mikeycb etc did well but no mention. Obviously this can only come from someone who has done well, as those that have done poorly do not know as they are no longer in it. I want an explainaton please.
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    iI dont know what your kicking off about buddy?
    Who cares who won the tournament?
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Sorry that was awful:
    Hi Gary, I'm not sure how to answer that. First up, congrats on your win. I was on your table briefly, & you were positively rampant.   There was not, or not as far as I am aware, ever any commitment to follow that Timed Tourney from pillar to post, though I perfectly understand why you, & perhaps others, would wish that to be the case. A 50 runner (approx.) £11 MTT is not, in truth, the sort of thing that will offer a good viewing experience to Sky Sports viewers. It's purpose on the Show is simply to follow the Studio Guest or Analyst. Unfortunately for all, that was me last night, & to say it went badly would be understating the case. And yes, "in before", I can't imagine why anyone would want to sit & watch me play a NLH MTT, but that's the basis of the Show at present, following those in the studio. I don't recall exactly what Anna said at the top of the Show, but I would have thought it would be something along the lines of "....and we will also be following tikay's progress in a Timed Tournament".   If you wish me to pass it up to the Producer for comment, let me know, & I'll do so, though I can't promise they will respond.  I do get your point, it would have been nice to at least mention the result, but the Producers need to have in mind the X0,000 Sky Sports viewers when deciding what to, or not to, show.   Anyway, that's not going to appease you, I fancy, but it's the best I can offer, & I'm certainly sorry to hear you were upset.  Congrats on the result.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    At a push, I understand showing a guest in a timed tournament but speaking for "others" there is no wish to watch a timed tournament on the show!

Congrats on the result Gary!
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Sorry that was awful : At a push, I understand showing a guest in a timed tournament but speaking for "others" there is no wish to watch a timed tournament on the show! Congrats on the result Gary!
    Posted by MattBates
    Personally, I don't disagree with that. However, the Producer wanted the third person - me on this occasion - to play something, so they stuck me in that.

I found it very difficult, in truth. I was trying to play, & at the same time, do the Top of The Pots commentary, &, more importantly, nudge & prompt the guests with cues & questions - in my view, when we have guests, the idea is to use THEM to interact & comment as much as possible. They are less used to being in a studio though, so need little prompts, cues & questions, to encourage them to open out.

I'm sure other Analysts, or Mr Ambo, can cope, but I found it a bit of a nightmare to be honest, I simply could not do any of my little tasks in a satisfactory manner whilst trying to play that Times jobbie.

As it happens, I thought Daiva & Jamie were both excellent. 

I was a bit surprised to arrive home & see Gary's Post. I know Gary, have met him several times, we get along fine & he is a good guy, so it was not an ideal way to end the day. The last thing I'd ever want to do is upset a good guy like Gary. 

Anyway, here we are.

We do a little review of each show these days, internally, & we'll chat about it in the office today.   

• edited May 2015
    Thanks all yes the channel has changed and I have not been watching it apart from week 1 as I was a bit disappointed with it. I should expect it really as sky no longer own sky poker(bet) and the community show which was 861 has gone. I am still surprised they did not show the result if only to explain to the viewers who are not familiar with the format of a timed tournament what happens at the end as not all their viewers play on sky poker and will not know what one is.

Aussie this new show can we arrange it for Punta Cana, the tan is going :-)
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks all yes the channel has changed and I have not been watching it apart from week 1 as I was a bit disappointed with it. I should expect it really as sky no longer own sky poker(bet) and the community show which was 861 has gone. I am still surprised they did not show the result if only to explain to the viewers who are not familiar with the format of a timed tournament what happens at the end as not all their viewers play on sky poker and will not know what one is. Aussie this new show can we arrange it for Punta Cana, the tan is going :-)
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Sky Poker are still responsible for presenting the Show, Gary, not "Big Sky".

Essentially, Sky TV (the TV Company, not the poker company owned by SB&G) say "give us a Show which our viewers enjoy, & we will air it".

Or put another way, if it displeases Big Sky, & does not appeal to their viewer base, they simply won't take the Show.

They don't have any editorial input at all, don't make it, & for that matter, they don't pay for it, they get it provided free, as is the industry norm for TV Poker Shows. (TV companies never pay for poker shows).

It's quite a tricky balancing act pleasing all parties on this.  

• edited May 2015
    You won? You cleared the field in a timed mtt sir Gary?
    Realy no point in covering these mtts from start to finish
  • edited May 2015
    Change is inevitable. However, there are bound to be backward steps before things move forward positively.

The old Channel 861 had a community feel-if you were doing well in the featured tournament, your play would be commented on. I do not necessarily agree with Sir Gary, but I do see why he feels that way. This has changed-now the emphasis is on the presenters, coupled with what looks like largely the same faces on the feature table time after time.

I am sure that many people prefer it this way-for me it does not currently work well. TK is an excellent link man, and usually selflessly allows others to shine. However, this disappeared while he was trying (or coerced) to also play in a tournament. I turned over last night as it was a bit embarrassing.

The other problem is that I regard myself as a reasonable MTT player who is a bit rubbish at cash-I am seeing some kindred spirits!

Just a suggestion for an occasional programme-have someone on who wins a tournament (the £110 Sunday?), show the key hands and have them comment upon them "one hand at a time".

I am sure that the right way forward is a mixture of cash, MTTs and live. Temporarily, there seems to be too much cash. However, that may just be for my taste, rather than what is objectively best.

• edited May 2015
    just like to say well done SIR-GARY on the win ...  and in my opinion your a quality player. has my notes on you are simple STAY AWAY LOL

2nd opinion is good players dont rant and should know better at 93 haha ..

• edited May 2015
    just like to say well done SIR-GARY on the win ...  and in my opinion your a quality player. has my notes on you are simple STAY AWAY LOL 2nd opinion is good players dont rant and should know better at 93 haha ..
    Posted by ISILDUR10
    Who said he was 93? Let me know, & I'll have a word.
  • edited May 2015
    hahaha i was actualy eating a bowl of cornflakes at the time and nearly spat my food out ..
    i thought.. SIR-GARY.. 93..

i can imagine hes seen alot over the years and probably tell you some storys
    but then again so could you sir haha
  • edited May 2015
    I nearly hit him with my zimmer frame 93 indeed. 
  • edited May 2015
    Im dissapointed it didnt show the plo8 dym that i played with Tikay...oh wait he won dont show it!

:D

• edited May 2015
    talking to someone at my live tournament
    "I saw the skypoker tv show Tuesday night
    not very interesting
    couldn't watch it for long"

asked about how to improve it

" I don't know
    the format doesn't really work for me"

that's from a live player who doesn't play online much
    ideal target player for sky

• edited May 2015
    however when i enthused about it being 6-max, the smaller fields than some other sites and how the Bounty hunters provide an additional game dynamic then he agreed he might have to give sky another go. 

maybe more emphasis on these defining characteristics would pay dividends

• edited May 2015
    And everyone was generally agreed skypoker tv was more interesting when you could watch your own tournament being played 
  • edited May 2015
    talking to someone at my live tournament "I saw the skypoker tv show Tuesday night not very interesting couldn't watch it for long" asked about how to improve it " I don't know the format doesn't really work for me" that's from a live player who doesn't play online much ideal target player for sky
    Posted by GELDY
    I don't think that's the market they are looking for necessarily. If someone plays live but rarely online, I can't imagine a 2 hour weekly slot is gonna change their perception or feelings. It's not like Sky is some young and up and coming site that needs some exposure!

It's the people who, as Tikay put it, are poker curious. People who don't already play the game but might be somewhat familiar with it. Or people channel hopping, having never seen a hand of poker before, see it and might get drawn in by the entertainment.

Following a tournament just doesn't have the entertainment appeal for people not in the loop.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Sorry that was awful : I don't think that's the market they are looking for necessarily. If someone plays live but rarely online, I can't imagine a 2 hour weekly slot is gonna change their perception or feelings. It's not like Sky is some young and up and coming site that needs some exposure! It's the people who, as Tikay put it, are poker curious. People who don't already play the game but might be somewhat familiar with it. Or people channel hopping, having never seen a hand of poker before, see it and might get drawn in by the entertainment. Following a tournament just doesn't have the entertainment appeal for people not in the loop.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I'll let him know your thoughts. 

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Sorry that was awful : I'll let him know your thoughts. 
    Posted by GELDY
    An analogy, and bear with me on this....

A veggie is getting a bit tired of salad, and to their mild horror they are thinking of going to the dark meaty side.

Sky Poker is a nice rump steak. They are looking for more people to sample their delicious meat. Mr 'Live Player who doesn't do online' just eats chicken every week. He is very content with chicken. He knows all about the steak available over at Sky but just has no interest in snubbing chicken for beef.

The veggie hears on the grapevine of a programme showcasing Sky's rump steak, where they try to show how tasty, fun and moreish steak is. The veggie is intrigued, and wants to dig a little deeper. Whereas Mr Chicken is perfectly happy with his other meat and has no interest in jumping ship.

Who should Sky market their show to?

If that ^ doesn't get me nominated for top of the posts, then its a sham.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Sorry that was awful : An analogy, and bear with me on this.... A veggie is getting a bit tired of salad, and to their mild horror they are thinking of going to the dark meaty side. Sky Poker is a nice rump steak. They are looking for more people to sample their delicious meat. Mr 'Live Player who doesn't do online' just eats chicken every week. He is very content with chicken. He knows all about the steak available over at Sky but just has no interest in snubbing chicken for beef. The veggie hears on the grapevine of a programme showcasing Sky's rump steak, where they try to show how tasty, fun and moreish steak is. The veggie is intrigued, and wants to dig a little deeper. Whereas Mr Chicken is perfectly happy with his other meat and has no interest in jumping ship. Who should Sky market their show to? If that ^ doesn't get me nominated for top of the posts, then its a sham.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    See thread title.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Sorry that was awful : An analogy, and bear with me on this.... A veggie is getting a bit tired of salad, and to their mild horror they are thinking of going to the dark meaty side. Sky Poker is a nice rump steak. They are looking for more people to sample their delicious meat. Mr 'Live Player who doesn't do online' just eats chicken every week. He is very content with chicken. He knows all about the steak available over at Sky but just has no interest in snubbing chicken for beef. The veggie hears on the grapevine of a programme showcasing Sky's rump steak, where they try to show how tasty, fun and moreish steak is. The veggie is intrigued, and wants to dig a little deeper. Whereas Mr Chicken is perfectly happy with his other meat and has no interest in jumping ship. Who should Sky market their show to? If that ^ doesn't get me nominated for top of the posts, then its a sham.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    If that does, its a shame :)
  • edited May 2015
    nice but inexact analogy in this case

here we have someone who mainly eats veggie because when he eats chicken it's just a bit boring

and then he sees skys rump steak and thinks wow
    i do eat meat so its not too difficult for me to give steak a go and it does look juicy. 

so a nomination maybe but no cigar

• edited May 2015
    nice but inexact analogy in this case here we have someone who mainly eats veggie because when he eats chicken it's just a bit boring and then he sees skys rump steak and thinks wow i do eat meat so its not too difficult for me to give steak a go and it does look juicy.  so a nomination maybe but no cigar
    Posted by GELDY
    Chicken is live poker.
    Steak is Sky Poker.
    Veggie is oblivious to both but potentially curious.

I know people who are 'chicken'. They just play live, and simply ain't interested in playing online, for whatever reason. So you could have the tastiest steak around, but it simply doesn't matter as they ain't having it, and no amount of seasoning will change their mind.

Veggie, who might want to sample meat, is the people you wanna go for. IMO of course.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Sorry that was awful : If that does, its a shame :)
    Posted by Essexphil
    Sham or shame?
  • edited May 2015
    But I had mussels in white wine and garlic with homemade crusty bread. So where does that leave me in the veggie, chicken or steak group?
  • edited May 2015
    if the success of skypoker is predicated on getting veggies to eat steak i guess we should close up shop now.

i think targeting the chicken eaters (ie plays some online just not sky) would be a lot easier

• edited May 2015
    if the success of skypoker is predicated on getting veggies to eat steak i guess we should close up shop now. i think targeting the chicken eaters (ie plays some online just not sky) would be a lot easier
    Posted by GELDY
    Veggies who might want to try meat for the first time.