You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Broadcasts from Vegas

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat
Now there's no longer a channel 861 to air the footage, it will of course be scaled back somewhat from previous years. 
Will there still be some broadcasts - podcasts, video feeds or whatever from Vegas?

Comments

• edited May 2015

Hi bluster,

I will reply later, or in the morning, on what is planned, the ins and outs, the whole chabang.
  • edited May 2015

Morning bluster.

".....Now there's no longer a channel 861 to air the footage, it will of course be scaled back somewhat from previous years.  Will there still be some broadcasts - podcasts, video feeds or whatever from Vegas?....."

I promised to reply properly this morning, so here goes.......
  • edited May 2015

Ch 861 never attended Vegas in 2014 or 2013, if I recall correctly, I think the last time they attended was 2012, when it was Dan & myself on behalf of Ch 861.

"scaled back now 861 is gone?"

No, not at all - the output, we hope, will be as much as it was in 2012. It could be slightly more, or less, as it depends on being able to catch the right players as & when available. There are no plans to produce less Video Content that the last time we had a TV camera there though, & if it does turn out less than previous, the Team would have been deemed to have failed in the allotted task.
  • edited May 2015

Where will the Video content go this year?

ALL of it - every piece that is produced - will go on You Tube, which is free to view & available to all.

Some  - a very small amount - MAY go on Sky Poker TV's Sky Sports Shows, , but if so, very little. However, that is a secondary function - the reason for producing Video content is 100% designed to upload to You Tube. It will all go on You Tube. 

How will you know when fresh Vegas stuff has been uploaded on You Tube?

It will be mentioned.....

On this Forum

On Twitter

On Facebook

On "Latest News". (see
    HERE

Where will the Video Content be Uploaded?

On the Sky Poker You Tube Channel. It will help viewers locate it quicker if you subscribe to the Sky Poker You Tube Channel. (It's free to subscribe). Whilst we have no power over it, most Sky Poker You Tube Content these days is also uploaded to Poker Tube.

What sort of Video content will be produced?

This is divided into three compartments.

1) Footage of the Sky Poker Qualifiers, interviews with some of them, & occasional footage at the Tables. Unfortunately, the Media Rules are very strict as to filming action from the Tables, & we, like all other Media, will only be permitted a maximum of FIVE MINUTES per day in the actual WSOP Cardrooms. (This has always been the case). 

2) General Vegas & WSOP footage for immediate release. Just the stuff we have always produced in Vegas, mainly "out & about" stuff around Vegas, & WSOP background interviews. Some years we are able to get the likes of Danny Negreanu, Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brunson & co, but it depends if we can catch them right. We can usually get any interesting Brits, too, as I know most of them. Fingers crossed Mr Ambo, Neil Channing, will do pieces to camera as often as possible, maybe even an occasional "Channing reports from Vegas" series.

3) EXACTLY the same as 2), but put into a little reservoir for gradual release throughout the Autumn, again all on You Tube. Part of the justification of attending is to build up a stock of Sky Poker TV Footage so we can release stuff each week during the Autumn & early winter. So, some released immediately, on the day, & some held in reserve as backstock.

When will Sky Poker TV be present in Vegas?

They will be there from 28th June until the last of our Sky Poker Viva Las Vegas qualifiers exits the Main Event. This covers the period of the two VLV packages. We have provisionally booked to stay until July 14th, which is the day the Main Event plays down to the November Nine. However, we will all come home earlier if none of our qualifiers are still in. Essentially, we will stay there as long as we have VLV qualifiers in the Main Event.

What other UK-facing sites will be covering the WSOP with Video updates?

None that I am aware of.

PokerNews - who are excellent - usually send back stuff every day, but this year they lost the Contract to do WSOP Updates, (WSOP have taken them "in-house) so I'm not sure if they will be present this year.        

• edited May 2015

Who will be there on behalf of Sky Poker TV, & The Business?

3 of us mostly, 4 at times.

Sam T, who works in Head Office in Leeds, & whom some of you will have met at UKPC events.

Dan, who runs Sky Poker TV. Dan has been with Sky Poker for around 6 or 7 years I think, & has been to Las Vegas 3 or 4 times for Sky Poker, including the last 3 occasions 861 were there.

And myself.

When available, Mr Ambo will be part of the Team, too, & he will spend as much time as he can being available to the qualifiers.

Who is responsible for what?

Sam will be responsible for generally "hosting" the Qualifiers, with a little occasional assistance from me. 

Dan will be responsible for filming & processing all the Vegas Content. He will then send it back to the Social-Media Team in Leeds who will Upload it.

I will be assisting both Sam & Dan, as well as doing pieces to camera, interviews & footage as & when necessary. When Mr Ambo is available, I'll obviously yield to him for Video stuff, as he does it better, gets a wider reach, & anyway, I have plenty of other stuff to do. Basically, I'm Mr Odd-Job man, the water carrier, as per.

All of us will share responsibility for "smash & grab", or "spotting" players & personalities. We then see if we can get the interview, & Dan will film it. 

We got the likes of Shane Warne last time we were there - that's the sort of thing we hope to do, & in that respect, Mr Ambo will be very helpful, as he knows most of the "name" American players. We both know the WSOP background team pretty well, too, folks like Seth Palansky, Nolan Dalla (amazingly interesting guy) & Jack Effel.

Where will we be based?

We'll have 2 Base Camps, Base Camp Palazzo & Base Camp Rio.

Sam will be staying, & based, at Palazzo Hotel, with all the Qualifiers. He'll be available to them every morning at Palazzo, then, around midday, come across to The Rio to join us & help out there.

Dan & I will be staying, & based, at The Rio. We will be in & around the Media Centre every day from around 9am (when it opens) until just after play ends for the day. Sam will join us around midday each day, & stay until stumps are drawn. 

I don't know where Mr Ambo is staying. He is quite fond of Gold Coast, which is smack next door to The Rio. (I may move across there, too, as it is so much cheaper). 

Media Passes

Sam, Dan & myself have all applied for, & received, our Media Accreditation. I don't think Mr Ambo needs it, everyone knows Neil, & he is on close personal terms with all the WSOP Suits.

Visas

These have all been sorted.   
  • edited May 2015

What else will we send back home by way of news & updates?

You mentioned podcasts. Personally, I've never done one, or even listened to one in my entire life, & would not know how to, (never seen one in Tesco), & even if I could, I'm, not sure I'd get much of an audience, or interest.

However, if you guys thought there would be any interest, I'm always happy to make a complete fool of myself, I've had a ton of practice.

Daily Community Updates on the WSOP

I've arranged with FCHD, aka Barny, who has been immensely helpful with these in previous years, to do these again.

I get "WSOP Media Bulletins" daily from the WSOP, as part of Accredited Media, & I will send these to Barny every day.

So there will be a daily "WSOP Update" thread run by Barny, & Sam & I will try & do "as it happens" Live Updates on the Community, too.

I don't know exactly what plans Mr Ambo has, but I'm sure he'll try & send some news home too, when time permits. 

Blogs

I will be doing - or trying to - Blogs most days. I've done these for Sky Poker every year since the Community started.  

The archive of these - in case you want to see what you might get - is on the Official Sky Poker Blog, where I have some 400 Blogs, of which around 100 are from the WSOP, HERE 

However, this year, they will not go there, they will go on "LATEST NEWS", which is HERE

It will be mentioned on Community & Social-Media every time a new Blog is uploaded.

For better or worse, I don't really do acres of hand histories & bad beat tales, mine's a bit more left-field, anecdotal, behind the scenes sorts stuff.

These Blogs will actually appear during most of the WSOP, as I'll be there on my own account, so to speak, from May 29th, though most of the first 10 days will be a private, no-poker, holiday, including a trip across to Los Angeles, & a ride on the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner down to San Diego. I'll spare you that nonsense.....

So only 2 poker tourneys for me in the first 10 days, but after that, I'll be playing most days, & will try & blog most days, too. 

That's the plans, anyways, though many a slip twixt cup & lip, of course.  
  • edited May 2015
    Wow! Much more comprehensive than I thought.
    As a bit of fun, I'll set you a challenge - get an interview with Erik Seidel. He always seems good value when I've seen him on TV.

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Broadcasts from Vegas:
    Wow! Much more comprehensive than I thought. As a bit of fun, I'll set you a challenge - get an interview with Erik Seidel. He always seems good value when I've seen him on TV.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Challenge accepted.

I don't claim to know Erik at all, except on nodding acquaintance terms, but Mr Ambo will know him very well, I'm quite sure, so maybe he'll get given that hospital pass.

I have shared tables with him a few times, & he always strikes me as an iron fist in a velvet glove, Mr GIQ.

And here's my left-field take on Erik - I don't think I have ever met a world-class Live MTT player (don't laugh, kids, he has the bangles), who looked less like a poker player.

If you saw him wandering down your local High St, you'd think he was an accountant or librarian.

In the world of poker, people mock & diss rather too much for my liking, but I have immense respect for guys like Erik. 

He won his bracelets - EIGHT of them - between 1992 & 2007. In total, he has 81 WSOP cashes, which, I think, is 2nd on the "All-Time" list.

I just hope Mr Ambo does not now put me straight, & tell me Erik is fos. ;)  

• edited May 2015
    Great stuff Tikay.  Can't wait for it to get under way.

Packed the suitcase yet?
  • edited May 2015
    Great stuff Tikay.  Can't wait for it to get under way. Packed the suitcase yet?
    Posted by Donttelmum
    If I told you I have not unpacked it from last year yet, you might disbelieve me, but it's true.

I generally get home, remove the dirty washing, then stick the case in the loft & say to myself "I'll sort that out next week", but next week never seems to come.  

• edited May 2015
    Look forward to seeing you all there, I have visions of us chasing Erik Seidel around the Rio!
  • edited May 2015
    Look forward to seeing you all there, I have visions of us chasing Erik Seidel around the Rio!
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    I don't think he'll be to hard to catch Sam.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Broadcasts from Vegas : If I told you I have not unpacked it from last year yet, you might disbelieve me, but it's true. I generally get home, remove the dirty washing, then stick the case in the loft & say to myself "I'll sort that out next week", but next week never seems to come.    
    Posted by Tikay10

But fashion has moved on along way since last year Tikay ;)

I do hope you didn't miss a pair of used undies in the side pocket!

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Broadcasts from Vegas : If I told you I have not unpacked it from last year yet, you might disbelieve me, but it's true. I generally get home, remove the dirty washing, then stick the case in the loft & say to myself "I'll sort that out next week", but next week never seems to come.    
    Posted by Tikay10

TRIP5 Frapes Tikay alert :)

• edited May 2015
    ignore that, she doesn't even wash her dirty clothes :)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Broadcasts from Vegas : I don't think he'll be to hard to catch Sam.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    If I am pushing Tikay round in his wheelchair it could be challenging
  • edited May 2015
    can`t wait till vegas will be gd experience actually playing in my first wsop event,also be good to catch up with all the sky players and staff always a gd crowd.

If remember rightly first time I met you in person tikay was in a lift at gatwick airport a couple of hours before the flight to vegas you were a gentlemen dont think I be comfortable speaking to 4-5 random scottish guys trapped in a lift haha.
  • edited May 2015
    can`t wait till vegas will be gd experience actually playing in my first wsop event,also be good to catch up with all the sky players and staff always a gd crowd. If remember rightly first time I met you in person tikay was in a lift at gatwick airport a couple of hours before the flight to vegas you were a gentlemen dont think I be comfortable speaking to 4-5 random scottish guys trapped in a lift haha.
    Posted by liamboi11
    I remember it well, even got a photo somewhere.

I was not that comfy actually, because I could not understand a word you were saying - I genuinely thought you were speaking Norwegian. 

English ONLY at the tables please.  
  • edited May 2015
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    As it happens, I mentioned Erik to Mr Ambo this arfo, as I wanted to accept BigBluster's challenge, & he told me a most interesting story about Erik & him.

I'll not say any more, in case Ambo arrives on thread, but he's been sent the request to get Erik. ;)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Broadcasts from Vegas : I don't think he'll be to hard to catch Sam.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    oi, behave.
  • edited May 2015
    Sounds very comprehensive and interesting. Looking forward to seeing the output already.

Re Nolan Dalla, his pieces with Jess Welman at the start of each days play on some of the WSOP streams are very interesting and informative and often the source of little bits of information about players I added in to the reports last year. Saying that, a Youtube piece with Jess would be good, she seems like she has a weird and wonderful sense of humour!

• edited May 2015
    Sounds very comprehensive and interesting. Looking forward to seeing the output already. Re Nolan Dalla, his pieces with Jess Welman at the start of each days play on some of the WSOP streams are very interesting and informative and often the source of little bits of information about players I added in to the reports last year. Saying that, a Youtube piece with Jess would be good, she seems like she has a weird and wonderful sense of humour!
    Posted by FCHD
    I know Nolan very well indeed, & he has been very kind to me, but Mr Ambo knows him even better.

Nolan is quite a shrewd punter, as it happens, very much in to NBA.

If you ever have a few hours to spare, you would enjoy his Blog, which is wonderful.

Here's some of his collected ramblings on the 2015 WSOP.

http://www.nolandalla.com/tag/world-series-of-poker-wsop/

If you look down the right hand sidebar, under "Popular Tags", there are dozens of categories.

He told me about a lovely drive he took through Nevada, all the back roads, think it was up to Reno, but I can't find it right now. Anyway, I plan to do that drive one day.

The overall Blog Home Page is here.....

http://www.nolandalla.com/

His twitter name is @nolandalla - well worth following if anyone is in to Twitter.

I'm not sure I know Jess.