You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Books

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat
i have just finished Victoria Corens book 'For richer, for poorer'. I would highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't read it.

What a tremendous read, even mentions some guy with the nickname badbeat........

Next one I fancy is 'shut up and deal' anyone else got other poker related recommendation?

The links can be tenuous as long as the books are a good read.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Alligator Blood. Really good book about poker payment processing (not as boring as it sounds lol) and black Friday. Well worth a read.
  • edited May 2015
    Considering it's almost 'strategy', Gus' book is a very good read. Not heavy going at all. Think I've read it over ten times so far. It's one of my toilet books (too much info?)

I bought Devil's book just before he passed, and Chris Moorman's, but I haven't got to read them yet.

Agree with you about Victoria's book.

• edited May 2015
    Sigh - I jumped into this thread thinking you were talking about real books... ;)
  • edited May 2015
    One of a Kind about the late Stu Ungar is well worth a read. He was well ahead of his time for poker strategy and reckon he would more than hold his own if he was still around. 
  • edited May 2015
    Yeah I love Vicky's book. And the Devilfish one. 

Others that I can see on my bookshelf:

Gus Hansen - Every Hand Revealed
    Mike Matusow - Check Raising The Devil
    The Biggest Game In Town - Al Alvarez
    Big Deal - Anthony Holden
    The Professor, The Banker and The Suicide King - I forget the author...but a very interesting story about Andy Beal going to Vegas and playing the pros for millions

All good reads.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Books:
    Sigh - I jumped into this thread thinking you were talking about real books... ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    lol, there is enough discussion of Kundera and others on your thread......however heres a modern author I love Haruki Murakami.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Books : lol, there is enough discussion of Kundera and others on your thread......however heres a modern author I love Haruki Murakami.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Never read Murakami, but Norwegian Wood has been on my list for a while...

Stereotypical cultural association aside - I read Real World by Natsuo Kirino a few years ago, which was very good.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Books : Never read Murakami, but Norwegian Wood has been on my list for a while... Stereotypical cultural association aside - I read Real World by Natsuo Kirino a few years ago, which was very good.
    Posted by Slipwater

Read this in 4 nights and immediately went out and bought 'Dance Dance Dance'. Been working my way through his collection since.

Real World sounds good, and it is set in Tokyo ;-)

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Books : lol, there is enough discussion of Kundera and others on your thread......however heres a modern author I love Haruki Murakami.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Favourite author <3
    :)
    Which one's your favourite so far Hendrik?
  • edited May 2015
    Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time is a must read imo
  • edited May 2015
    Great stuff everyone, lots to read, keep em coming I love reading and it saves me losing too much actually playing ;-)

Thats a hard question Mts Duck, I like some od the short story collections 'Elephant vanishes' prob edges it for me
    I like Dance dance dance.

the IQ84 trilogy took a long time to draw me in, but I enjoyed it in the end :-)

Which is yours?
  • edited May 2015
    I'd quite like the name Mt Duck!
    My fav's are The wind up bird chronicle, Hard Boiled wonderland and the end of the world and 1Q84. But to be fair I've loved all of them. 
    Japanese books in the summer Slip, give him a go :)
  • edited May 2015
    I'd quite like the name Mt Duck! My fav's are The wind up bird chronicle, Hard Boiled wonderland and the end of the world and 1Q84. But to be fair I've loved all of them.  Japanese books in the summer Slip, give him a go :)
    Posted by mrsduck

Lol, pardon the typos I was on my phone.
  • edited May 2015
    Hello is a solid read, weekly.
  • edited May 2015
    Hello is a solid read, weekly.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    You made that gag elsewhere on the forum.

Must try harder.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Books : You made that gag elsewhere on the forum. Must try harder.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Gag?
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Books : Gag?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Fair point.

As you were.
  • edited May 2015
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Should that have been on private chat??? Do you both remember your safe words when in the moment!!
  • edited May 2015
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Should that have been on private chat??? Do you both remember your safe words when in the moment!!
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Books : Should that have been on private chat??? Do you both remember your safe words when in the moment!!
    Posted by Any2Suited
    I don't give him a safe word.
  • edited May 2015

I am reading "MOORMANS BOOK OF POKER"
    which is very good , analysing hands and  Chris gives his views on how to play them

another very  good book is 
    Devilfish: The Life & Times of a Poker Legend
    by Dave Ulliott
    From prison cell to Las Vegas penthouse, Devilfish: The Life & Times of a Poker Legend is the no-holds-barred life story of the UK's best poker player and all-time legend, Dave 'Devilfish' Ulliott  

Funny tales of his highs & lows