You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FLIGHTS TO VEGAS

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat
JUST BEEN CHECKING THE FLIGHTS TO VEGAS,AND MOST OF THEM ARE ABOUT £1200 RETURN,SO IN REALITY THE
£1000 FOR FLIGHTS AND EXPENSES DONT ACTUALLY GO THAT FAR.
NORMALLY WHEN YOU WIN A COMPETITION IT DOESNT MEAN YOU END UP OUT OF POCKET.
DONT SUPPOSE I WILL EVER GET THERE WITH SKY BUT JUST FEEL A TAD SORRY FOR THOSE GOING WHO DONT REALISE HOW MUCH IT CAN COST THEM.
SORRY TO BE BAH HUMBUG ETC BUT COULDNT SKY AT LEAST PAY THE FLIGHTS EVEN IF THEY DONT PAY FOR FOOD ETC.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    I can solve, I will take your seat and £1k and go on your behalf.

Ps writing in caps is rude

Pps is a promo not a competition. If I could go on a holiday to Vegas and get a seat to play poker in the biggest event of year, meet pro's etc for £200.... Wow I would be happy
  • edited May 2015

Hi Steve,

I don't think I'm ever going to feel sorry for anyone winning a package to Las Vegas on Sky Poker, especially as many of them win them in Freerolls. I do feel a bit sorry for those that don't win a package though.

If the flight ends up costing £1,100, would anyone really complain, given all the contents of the package?

For the record, if you book today, Thomas Cook are quoting Manchester to Las Vegas return, leaving June 24th & returning July 5th (just 2 random dates, they vary daily), at a cost of £707.
  • edited May 2015

Here you go Steve - Freerolls, in which 4 Las Vegas Packages, each worth £3,200, are on offer, with cash prizes down to 100th place for those that do not finish 1st. 

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-promotions/mayhem-freerolls-2015

Is that really such a bad deal?
  • edited May 2015
    Steve, hope you are excited for Vegas, when i won a package from a freeroll several community members helped me out on flights. Admittedly this was a week ago but hopefully prices haven't deviated too far. Check skyscanner for flight comparisons. Flying from Manchester direct seems to be cheapest option, For London direct flights seems to be around £900 with united airlines. But Irishrose pointed out that if you buy airmiles from Virgin flights worked out to be £755.67 and thats a flexible flight which is great if you hope to extend your stay. 
  • edited May 2015
    On the same dates you can get £430 flying from Dublin with BA.

That is a lot cheaper & a couple of days in Dublin beforehand to get in the mood.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: FLIGHTS TO VEGAS:
    Steve, hope you are excited for Vegas, when i won a package from a freeroll several community members helped me out on flights. Admittedly this was a week ago but hopefully prices haven't deviated too far. Check skyscanner for flight comparisons. Flying from Manchester direct seems to be cheapest option, For London direct flights seems to be around £900 with united airlines. But Irishrose pointed out that if you buy airmiles from Virgin flights worked out to be £755.67 and thats a flexible flight which is great if you hope to extend your stay. 
    Posted by JJJOHNSON
    Kayak is a better option imo. It's a flight scraper site that will save you from having to look at several different options. Took me 2 minutes to find flights that cost £700 ish with US airways from London airports on the dates Tikay tried. 

With regards to airmiles, it is an utter waste to use them to subsidise the cost of economy flights. Far better to use them to upgrade to the next class or if you have enough to travel business/first. If you shop at tesco's youd be surprised how many airmiles your clubcard points accrue if you shop clever. Every little helps! 
  • edited May 2015
    please accept my apologies to all i have offended,especially with large caps.
  • edited May 2015
    please accept my apologies to all i have offended,especially with large caps.
    Posted by steve1312

Hi Steve,

No need to apologise, and you have not offended anyone, we just have different opinions on these things. Nothing wrong with that, but it seemed reasonable, IMO, to put a different slant on your views.

Anyway, never mind that, go win a package!

As to using "caps", it is just an etiquette thing on forums and elsewhere, generally we try to avoid them, as it comes across as "shouty". If you are not used to how forums work, you were not to know.
  • edited May 2015
    It's always worth shopping around for anything you buy online.  I never bothered before but one day it occured to me that I put in so many hours working on my game, trying to eeek out the tiniest edge to improve my hourly win rate, but I'd just snap book the hotel/flights to all my poker trips.

The difference for flight is well worth a couple of hours research.

As liamboi said, there is a trick to be had by searching for a flight from Dublin.  

Good luck.
  • edited May 2015
    It's always worth shopping around for anything you buy online.  I never bothered before but one day it occured to me that I put in so many hours working on my game, trying to eeek out the tiniest edge to improve my hourly win rate, but I'd just snap book the hotel/flights to all my poker trips. The difference for flight is well worth a couple of hours research. As liamboi said, there is a trick to be had by searching for a flight from Dublin.   Good luck.
    Posted by scotty77
    The Dublin trick is immense!

How else do you get return business class flights to Vegas on BA and 7 nights in Monte Carlo for £1300?!

Of the 4 times I'll have been to LV after this next trip, 3 have started in Ireland. And the cost of getting to Dublin is often negligible due to good old Ryanair :)
  • edited May 2015
    While the Dublin trick is good, you can be lucky with offers if you are flexible with dates. Last year, I got 10 days on the strip, flying from London direct for £750 with BA in October.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: FLIGHTS TO VEGAS :  With regards to airmiles, it is an utter waste to use them to subsidise the cost of economy flights. Far better to use them to upgrade to the next class or if you have enough to travel business/first. If you shop at tesco's youd be surprised how many airmiles your clubcard points accrue if you shop clever. Every little helps! 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Usually I'd be the first to agree with you Acegooner re airmiles - but if you want direct flights from London to Vegas on those dates its approx £1200 with Virgin or BA.  However as Virgin currently have airmiles bonus you can purchase enough airmiles for the Vegas flight for £550 plus £223 taxes - so £773 total cost of a flight that would cost you £1200 cash equivalent.  

I happen to have approx 1 million virgin airmiles thanks to the lovely Tesco btw!!!
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: FLIGHTS TO VEGAS : Usually I'd be the first to agree with you Acegooner re airmiles - but if you want direct flights from London to Vegas on those dates its approx £1200 with Virgin or BA.  However as Virgin currently have airmiles bonus you can purchase enough airmiles for the Vegas flight for £550 plus £223 taxes - so £773 total cost of a flight that would cost you £1200 cash equivalent.   I happen to have approx 1 million virgin airmiles thanks to the lovely Tesco btw!!!
    Posted by IrishRose
    I like your style! I have enough to do First/Business to Vegas but the taxes are a bit eyewatering. If you want some sites that  are dedicated to airmiles/clubcard points collecting drop me a PM. 

Even so, I hardly looked for flights and found that US Airlines one on Kayak @ £700. Better to save the miles imo.  
  • edited May 2015
    As others have said Manchester's prices seem to be the cheapest from the UK. Prices were going for around 550 with UA. Also they have a train station located on the airport itself. 
    Hope this helps.