You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SSD upgrade?

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat

Has anyone upgraded their desktop or laptop to SSD?

Did it improve performance of your device? Would you recommend it?

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Yes,yes & yes.
    Start up 15-20 sec's shut down 5-7.
    Plus most programes start  & run quicker to.
  • edited May 2015
    There should be a huge difference.

In the car world you're talking Veyron vs Viva

• edited May 2015
    Has anyone upgraded their desktop or laptop to SSD? Desktop, yes.

Did it improve performance of your device? Yes.

Would you recommend it?  Yes.

However, it's also worth pointing out it's not going to magically make a slow PC fast.

It has improved performance but only for some tasks, I barely notice any difference most of the time.  Opening Photoshop or a MS Office application might be a couple of seconds faster but I'm not usually in that much of a hurry that 3 seconds makes a difference.

Also my PC is left on 24x7 and only rebooted once a month or so so startup and shutdown times don't really matter.

I'd recommend it as it's silent and that's nice when the PC is in the main room (or bedroom) of the house.

I would imagine the lower power use is very useful for a laptop.
  • edited May 2015
    for poker?
    totally irrelevant unless your trying to beat lambie/hufty to a post

• edited May 2015

Am I the only one sat here thinking what the hell is SSD.

Perhaps it means Super Super Duper
  • edited May 2015
    SSD = Saturated Surface Dry

It's the state of an aggregate in which the particles are dry and they absorb no more moisture, but the inter-particle voids are saturated.

Pop over to concrete.org and find out all about it.  Or just ask tikay.
  • edited May 2015
    solid state device
  • edited May 2015
    but basically a means to have a faster memory access with your pc
    but memory access other than on start up or opening programs is usually measured in milli seconds

• edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: SSD upgrade?:
     Am I the only one sat here thinking what the hell is SSD.  Perhaps it means Super Super Duper
    Posted by 68Trebor
    Thank goodness someone asked that, I've been wondering all day, but thought I'd look like a numpty if I asked.

God bless you Trebor.

I'll pop into Tesco tomorrow & buy me a pack of SSD's.

• edited May 2015
     Am I the only one sat here thinking what the hell is SSD.  Perhaps it means Super Super Duper
    Posted by 68Trebor

Old hard disk is exactly that, its a disk that spins to get data from.

SSD, best way to describe it is, its like a big USB pen retrieves data at a much quicker rate (Flash Memory)

Stuarty
  • edited May 2015
    sorry,still none the wiser
  • edited May 2015
    sorry,still none the wiser
    Posted by stokefc
    So a traditional hard drive works a bit like a record player, with moving parts going backwards and forwards reading and writing data to the hard drive. It needs to do this for many tasks from starting your device up to opening a program etc.

An SSD drive is quicker (especially at certain tasks), uses less energy / battery power and doesnt really have moving parts. Like lots of technology it's coming down in price over time and some people advocate it as one of the most cost effective ways of uprading / speeding up your device. Opinions vary but some would say it's better £ for £ than say upgrading RAM.

Here is a clip that probably explains that better

If you google 'SSD vs HDD' you'll see lots of articles and videos on the subject.

Take this for example from YouTube.

Hope that helps!
  • edited May 2015
    thx sp,ill have a look now
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: SSD upgrade? : So a traditional hard drive works a bit like a record player, with moving parts going backwards and forwards reading and writing data to the hard drive. It needs to do this for many tasks from starting your device up to opening a program etc. An SSD drive is quicker (especially at certain tasks), uses less energy / battery power and doesnt really have moving parts. Like lots of technology it's coming down in price over time and some people advocate it as one of the most cost effective ways of uprading / speeding up your device. Opinions vary but some would say it's better £ for £ than say upgrading RAM. Here  is a clip that probably explains that better If you google 'SSD vs HDD' you'll see lots of articles and videos on the subject. Take  this  for example from YouTube. Hope that helps!
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    You sound like amazing potential company down the pub ;)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: SSD upgrade? : You sound like amazing potential company down the pub ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Lol.

We try to help where we can :)

• edited May 2015
    solid state device
    Posted by GELDY
    Instead of cathode ray tubes? What computers are you guys using?