You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Basic ppoker strategy

edited May 2015 in The Poker Clinic
Hi Guys I have been playing poker for the last couple of months and am getting better at it quickly but am interested if anyone could recommend a couple of good books to read to improve my basic game/strategy etc as there are so many.
Cheers

Comments

• edited May 2015
    If you get just 1 book, get Harrington on Hold'EM. It's a little dated, but it will make you more of a thinking player than one who just presses buttons.
    Avoid 'Every hand Revealed' by Gus Hansen like the plague. You can't play like Gus and will lose money trying to. I know from experience.

One cheap thing to do is to go through one of these forums backwards. You will see hands discussed and debated (quite vociferously in the early days) and you will see a consensus emerge of how best to play many situations. 

• edited May 2015
    Harrington on Hold Em is a good choice, I second that.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Basic ppoker strategy:
    If you get just 1 book, get Harrington on Hold'EM. It's a little dated, but it will make you more of a thinking player than one who just presses buttons. Avoid 'Every hand Revealed' by Gus Hansen like the plague. You can't play like Gus and will lose money trying to. I know from experience. One cheap thing to do is to go through one of these forums backwards. You will see hands discussed and debated (quite vociferously in the early days) and you will see a consensus emerge of how best to play many situations. 
    Posted by BigBluster
    I would say it's worth buying as an entertaining read, because it is that. Very easy going, not heavy on the theory.
  • edited May 2015
    If you get just 1 book, get Harrington on Hold'EM. It's a little dated, but it will make you more of a thinking player than one who just presses buttons. Avoid 'Every hand Revealed' by Gus Hansen like the plague. You can't play like Gus and will lose money trying to. I know from experience. One cheap thing to do is to go through one of these forums backwards. You will see hands discussed and debated (quite vociferously in the early days) and you will see a consensus emerge of how best to play many situations. 
    Posted by BigBluster
    Thanks for that I will get it.

Cheers!!
  • edited May 2015
    Posted by BigBluster
    To be honest, even Gus can't play like Gus and avoid losing money...

To OP - I'll pass on the advice I received when asking this question a few months back - don't spend too much time and money on books and instead favour online training videos, possibly even add Twitch to that these days.

You're much more likely to pick up tips relevant to today's game and often have the added bonus of being able to ask extra questions of the person (or persons) you are learning from.

Good luck with the poker!
  • edited May 2015
    Posted by BigBluster
    Hi Bigbluster

I have found the book and just started reading the intro they are both chess players. I played for chess Hong Kong in China when I was working out there a few years ago so I reckon this is going to be a great read!!!

Cheers
  • edited May 2015
    Internet is best
  • edited May 2015
    I've not read a single book on Holdem. I did get something for PLO when I was starting out but that's about it.