You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this really bad?

edited May 2015 in The Poker Clinic
Mayhem freeroll, 37 left, we get £4,,,,,,

Next money ladder is 36 which pays £10, Blinds have just gone through me so was it right to fold knowing/hoping someone else would go out and I would get a tenner?

Got some comments ( ahem ) for folding...

God bless no antes on here!! Tin hats on!!

Ps well done Timmyrara for TID//
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
davelufc Small blind  800.00 800.00 30.00
james12212 Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 19100.12
  Your hole cards
  • Q

GSmith13 Fold     
ChirpyChip Fold     
alfarch30 All-in  20830.00 23230.00 0.00
davelufc Fold     
james12212 Fold     
alfarch30 Muck     
alfarch30 Win  4000.00  4000.00
alfarch30 Return  19230.00 0.00 23230.00

Comments

• edited May 2015
    I'd be pretty happy that we actually have a good hand to call with, like I'd still call it off if we had 5bb

From a winning the MTT point of view, yes it's really bad, but if u reallly wanna ladder, meh u can do what u like reallly.
  • edited May 2015
    If purely going for the ladder, and in contex of the mtt £6 is a huge jump. 150%. Interesting if a statistics guy could run the numbers to see if long term profitable. As a double up probably don't helps really as only have 2bb so if going for the win is a long way up. 

Ps did you ladder?

• edited May 2015
    Alfarch would effectively freeroll a knockout so he could jam ATC and lose 30 chips at worst assuming BB folds and you call which you are supposed to which he would a good % of the time so Q8 is a decent enough hand anyway to wake up with with 1bb but it could be ahead often?

• edited May 2015
    Our hand is completely irrelevant in this spot really. OK, we might call it off with AA and maybe KK if we are folding Q8 but Q8 is the same as AK or JJ here.

If we fold here, we are basically hoping that someone goes out in the next 3 hands. I don't think we can count on that at all, especially if other smaller stacks see that you are on 30 chips - they might be content to just wait 3/4 hands to see you get knocked out on either the BB or SB. We also lose any hope of getting any more bounties (what this freeroll is about) or reaching FT or anything close when we fold here. Yes, even if we win the hand we're only going to have 1 and a half BB's but it's better than virtually zero chips. 3 double ups isn't beyond the realm of possibility and that would get us right back in it.

So yes, in conclusion the fold is bad even if you want to ladder.

I'm more concerned with how we got to this many chips in the first place - if we just lost a big pot, then fair enough - but we shouldn't be letting ourselves get down this low at all. Generally, we want to be getting aggressive with 8-Ten BB's but we can probably get to as low as 6BB's but when this low we need to be shoving in unopened pots with almost any 2 reasonable cards.
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks all for the replies,

I think Ivan nailed it, my hand was irrelevant here.

I had lost a pot a few hands before, but with the next money jump not far away I thought I would try and ladder.

If the next jump would have been a couple of quid, them I`m shoving ATC after I lost the big pot.

@nuggy, yes I did.....
    Baz311034£10
    PUPPASMURF035£10
    davelufc036£10
    Longstreet037£4
    miche1972038£4
    EVADNEY039£4
  • edited May 2015
    Don't get so short 
    Shove sooner

Spot is ridic 
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Is this really bad?:
    Don't get so short  Shove sooner Spot is ridic 
    Posted by rancid
    I`m sorry for getting so short!!

I did say I lost a big pot a few hands before, how do you know I didn`t lose a 100 bb pot vs a big stack then got moved tables??

If that happened and I`m 1 place off the next money ladder, is it still " ridic " ??

• edited May 2015
    Im with you - if the money means something to you and your BR and as someone said it is a 150% jump and we are on the stone bubble then i'm with you. 

Lets jump this up, you FR your way into a huge MTT and its the stone bubble and a min cash means a lot then I'm guessing a lot more ppl would fold. Saying "its only £6" doesnt matter, its what it matters to that person. No shame in it.

Well done, btw.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Is this really bad? : I`m sorry for getting so short!! I did say I lost a big pot a few hands before, how do you know I didn`t lose a 100 bb pot vs a big stack then got moved tables?? If that happened and I`m 1 place off the next money ladder, is it still " ridic " ??
    Posted by davelufc

just saying shove before this if you can

the fact is you have to call 30 chips to win 2400ish chips therefore folding is never an option unless you are in some ridic spot where the next money jump is a massive amount of monies

• edited May 2015
    Im with you - if the money means something to you and your BR and as someone said it is a 150% jump and we are on the stone bubble then i'm with you.  Lets jump this up, you FR your way into a huge MTT and its the stone bubble and a min cash means a lot then I'm guessing a lot more ppl would fold. Saying "its only £6" doesnt matter, its what it matters to that person. No shame in it. Well done, btw.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    The money has nothing to do with why I said he should call. If he could fold and guarantee that £10 instead of £4 then ofc we should fold. That's not necessarily the case though - we have 3 hands before we are in the blinds again and so it's likely very probable that we will still only be winning £4. By calling here we at least give ourselves a much better chance of laddering up for the £10 if we win this flip and then another. 

If it was a huge MTT and it was £4k and £10k as the next jump then I would still be calling for that reason.
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks all for the replies, I think Ivan nailed it, my hand was irrelevant here. I had lost a pot a few hands before, but with the next money jump not far away I thought I would try and ladder. If the next jump would have been a couple of quid, them I`m shoving ATC after I lost the big pot. @nuggy, yes I did..... Baz311 0 34 £10 PUPPASMURF 0 35 £10 davelufc 0 36 £10 Longstreet 0 37 £4 miche1972 0 38 £4 EVADNEY 0 39 £4
    Posted by davelufc
    Great result well done!