You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Saturday Footie Bets

edited January 2010 in The Shed
I reckon this turns out at a healthy sum, am i right?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    After severe boredom and being able to have a wee look and a study at Saturdays games....Have a look at these from the SKYBET whopper coupon. Free Stats and Form Guide Added *****lol*****

9 selections, I normally back in the following perms....

36 x 7-Folds
    9 x 8-Folds
    1 x 9-Fold

SHEFF WED. @ 5/6  V  Peterborough
    Awful at home but two recent away victories combined with the new manager effect can see off a Peterborough side who have not won away from home in the league this season.

BRISTOL ROVERS. @ 10/11  V  Hartlepool
    When I bet against Hartlepool, I Carp myself when Jeff Stelling is grinning on Soccer Saturday. However Rovers are strong at home at the minute and won this fixture 4-1 last season

Gillingham  V  COLCHESTER @ 7/5
    Colchester Have won 4 of the last 5 games between the two, including twice at Gillingham. Although they were both Cup (LDV and Carling) Games, they have been in much better form than Gillingham recently.

ROTHERHAM @ 8/15  V  Grimsby
    Shock result at home against the leagues bottom team in midweek. Cant see lightning striking twice in a row (or a week)

SHREWSBURY @ 5/4  V  Dagenham
    Both these teams draw a lot of games, but fancy Shrewsbury on the strength of them being due a home win along with the Daggers leaving empty handed on their last 4 visits here.

TORQUAY @10/11 V  Burton
    Burton have dropped back a bit in the last few months while Torquay have won their last 3 league games at home without conceding a goal. Also won the corresponding fixture in the Bluesquare Prem 2-1 last season.

Queen of the South  V  DUNDEE @ 11/8
    Dundee have lost just once this season. It was here in September by 2-0. However they were a penalty goal and a man down after just 5 minutes of the game. Fancy them to get revenge here.

Dumbarton  V  COWDENBEATH @ 5/4
    Cowdenbeath won 3-0 at Dumbarton in September, are top of the league and are the form team in the division.
    As the meerkat says....simples.

Montrose  V  EAST STIRLING @ 4/5
    Montrose have accumulated 6 points all season. East Stirling have won the last 5 meetings between the two, scoring 13 and conceding just 1. Where has that meerkat gone now?.

Please accept my apologies if I have bored anyone to death or if Saturday has arrived before I have finished typing, just wanted to make my picks public this week to see if anyone has more luck than me. Have hit the post a few times this season....must be due one soon!!!!!!

If I have put in any Jonah teams or teams you wouldn`t bet with someone elses cash here are a few alternatives to ponder......

BOLTON @ 4/5  V  Sheff Utd
    Most of the prem teams will now be fancying a good run in the cup after a few of the Big Guns have fallen by the wayside.

Wolves  V  PALACE @ 7/2
    Maybe McCarthy will be the exception to the above regarding a cup-run. I`d check out the teams just before kick-off on this one.

BORO  V  SWANSEA  DRAW @ 12/5
    Don`t ask, just fancy a draw in this game.

West Brom  V  NEWCASTLE @ 9/4
    If the Newcastle team sheet starts off....
    HARPER, SIMPSON, S TAYLOR, COLLOCINI, ENRIQUE.....Then 9/4 is Massive

Rangers  V  HEARTS @ 8/1
    Hearts are hard to beat at the Minute, and reports say that Rangers have so many injuries to strikers, Ally McCoist might need to play!!! this will be a 1-0 victory to Hearts or they will get Horsed by at least 4 goals...

I need a lay down now.........
  • edited January 2010
    If you get 9/9 its party hats and streamers!!!
                   8/9 is a good night out
                   7/9 is money back with a bit on top
  • edited January 2010
    Good stuff emilyegg, i agree with a lot of them. I'll post my acca tomorrow after i've found out some team news. Looks like i'll be putting a lot of your tips in, hope i don't jinx your bets.
  • edited January 2010
    Sky_Rich's tip of the day if you like your singles.

Bolton to beat Sheff U. *

the odds are decent considering its a prem side at home and the Owen Coyle factor surely has to take effect now they're not playing arsenal.

* i really don't know all that much so please don't put your house on or even follow any of my tips
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Saturday Footie Bets:
    Sky_Rich's tip of the day if you like your singles. Bolton to beat Sheff U. * the odds are decent considering its a prem side at home and the Owen Coyle factor surely has to take effect now they're not playing arsenal. * i really don't know all that much so please don't put your house on or even follow any of my tips
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Looks like Bolton will be featuring in a lot of accas this weekend then. Coyle was unlucky that his first 2 games in charge were against the high-flying Gooners. I also expect him to get his first win this weekend and 4/5 looks a belting bit of value.
  • edited January 2010
    Nothing against Sky_Rich's judgement but I am going on Sheffield U, Spurs to beat Leeds and Newcastle to edge WBA. over 16-1 for the treble.
  • edited January 2010
    A few interesting ones there Emily.

For anyone who's interested I've gone for 3 different bets this weekend.

Sheff Weds to beat Peterborough @ 5/6 (H)
    Norwich to beat Brentford @ 4/9 (H)
    Rochdale to beat Cheltenham @ EVENS (A)
    Bolton to beat Sheff Utd @ 4/5 (H)

The 4 way is currently paying 17/2 which I think is reasonable for 3 homes & 1 away. As Emily touched on, Sheff Weds have been decent in the last couple of games & I can't work out why Preston sacked Alan Irvine in the first place so I expect his good start to continue here. Norwich are pretty much unbeatable at home this season (except Colchester on the opening day!) and Grant Holt is scoring for fun which helps. Bolton are gonna be a much tougher proposition with Coyle in charge now so 4/5 is good value. The Rochdale game is the biggest risk of these 4 but I just know that if I don't back them they'll romp home!

For my 2nd bet I'm going for these games all to finish as draws:

Shrewsbury/Dagenham @ 5/2
    West Brom/Newcastle @ 9/4
    Portsmouth/Sunderland @ 12/5
    Everton/Birmingham @ 13/5

The 4-way on these is paying a HUGE 138/1!! Definitely worth a quid. West Brom & Newcastle have drawn both their games against each other already this season as have Pompey/Sunderland & Everton/Brum in their respective league meetings too. Dagenham have drawn a few games recently & I think they'll end up cancelling each other out.

For my 3rd bet I'm going for all these games to have more than 2.5 goals:

Preston/Chelsea @ 8/11
    Bolton/Sheff Utd @ EVENS
    West Brom/Newcastle @ 10/11
    Sheff Weds/Peterborough @ 5/6
    Norwich/Brentford @ 4/5

The 5 way is currently paying a shade under 22/1 so again, imo, well worth a quid. Chelsea seem to be back to their free scoring best & Darren Ferguson's teams always seem to score plenty of goals. Having played Arsenal in his 1st two games in charge, Owen Coyle will be looking to get a good win under his belt here & he always sets his teams up to attack. West Brom & Newcastle pretty much speak for themselves. Sheff Weds are just as likely to concede a few as they are score them & as I touched on earlier, Grant Holt is scoring for fun for Norwich this season.

Good luck to everyone & their bets tomorrow.

Jay
  • edited January 2010
    Bolton @ 4/5 are good odds if you could guarntee Coyle will put his first team out.

They have just played two hard games for no points and he might decide to rest players because staying in the premiership is far more important than a cup run.

For this reason i usually steer clear of cup games. 
  • edited January 2010
    Good stuff emilyegg, i agree with a lot of them. I'll post my acca tomorrow after i've found out some team news. Looks like i'll be putting a lot of your tips in, hope i don't jinx your bets.
    Posted by Quagmire72
    Quality M8, having loads of joy jinxing my own bets at the moment lol. Look forward to seeing your selections, lots of knowledgable footy people on here like yourself so might massage or lay some more bets come Saturday.
  • edited January 2010
    Bet of the day tomorrow is Swansea away to middlesboro @ 12/5.

If reports are true boro are struggling to field a team claiming they only have 11 players available. 

Im on a dman course all day tomorrow so only had £20 on them if id been at home and able to follow it bet would have been much bigger.

Gareth
  • edited January 2010
    A few interesting ones there Emily. For anyone who's interested I've gone for 3 different bets this weekend. Sheff Weds to beat Peterborough @ 5/6 (H) Norwich to beat Brentford @ 4/9 (H) Rochdale to beat Cheltenham @ EVENS (A) Bolton to beat Sheff Utd @ 4/5 (H) The 4 way is currently paying 17/2 which I think is reasonable for 3 homes & 1 away. As Emily touched on, Sheff Weds have been decent in the last couple of games & I can't work out why Preston sacked Alan Irvine in the first place so I expect his good start to continue here. Norwich are pretty much unbeatable at home this season (except Colchester on the opening day!) and Grant Holt is scoring for fun which helps. Bolton are gonna be a much tougher proposition with Coyle in charge now so 4/5 is good value. The Rochdale game is the biggest risk of these 4 but I just know that if I don't back them they'll romp home! For my 2nd bet I'm going for these games all to finish as draws: Shrewsbury/Dagenham @ 5/2 West Brom/Newcastle @ 9/4 Portsmouth/Sunderland @ 12/5 Everton/Birmingham @ 13/5 The 4-way on these is paying a HUGE 138/1!! Definitely worth a quid. West Brom & Newcastle have drawn both their games against each other already this season as have Pompey/Sunderland & Everton/Brum in their respective league meetings too. Dagenham have drawn a few games recently & I think they'll end up cancelling each other out. For my 3rd bet I'm going for all these games to have more than 2.5 goals: Preston/Chelsea @ 8/11 Bolton/Sheff Utd @ EVENS West Brom/Newcastle @ 10/11 Sheff Weds/Peterborough @ 5/6 Norwich/Brentford @ 4/5 The 5 way is currently paying a shade under 22/1 so again, imo, well worth a quid. Chelsea seem to be back to their free scoring best & Darren Ferguson's teams always seem to score plenty of goals. Having played Arsenal in his 1st two games in charge, Owen Coyle will be looking to get a good win under his belt here & he always sets his teams up to attack. West Brom & Newcastle pretty much speak for themselves. Sheff Weds are just as likely to concede a few as they are score them & as I touched on earlier, Grant Holt is scoring for fun for Norwich this season. Good luck to everyone & their bets tomorrow. Jay
    Posted by silentbob
    Liking that as well Jay, never ever had a dash at the over/under goals but looks well worth an interest. I like the fact that the posters on here dont go for 37 team accumulators, spread over 3 days with a best price of 2/7.

There is ALWAYS a coupon buster. Any Single accumulator bet (imo) containing more selections than you can remember just 5 minutes after you have put the bet on is almost certain to be a loser.

Might have a wander to the bookies in the morning to put my bet on....or might hang about to see the team news on the Cup games. There will be a turn up in the Cup games, always is until the Q-F stage normally, so think there could be some potentially corking singles/doubles/trebles on the go.

Heres Hoping.
    Cheers
  • edited January 2010
    Bet of the day tomorrow is Swansea away to middlesboro @ 12/5. If reports are true boro are struggling to field a team claiming they only have 11 players available.  Im on a dman course all day tomorrow so only had £20 on them if id been at home and able to follow it bet would have been much bigger. Gareth
    Posted by 35suited
    Interesting Gareth, was avoiding this game on my main perms...just had a hunch this would be a stalemate.
    However, in light of your info a wee sneaky single on the Swans could be a saver.
  • edited January 2010
    Bolton @ 4/5 are good odds if you could guarntee Coyle will put his first team out. They have just played two hard games for no points and he might decide to rest players because staying in the premiership is far more important than a cup run. For this reason i usually steer clear of cup games. 
    Posted by achill
    Again achill Quality post with lots of sense. I too like to avoid these games as a rule and think the odds-makers will tighten up on ALL Cup games sooner or later as teams (rightly or wrongly) toss them off in favour of PL status. On-line with the team news available will soon be the only sensible way of betting on a cup-tie.

Still think there will be a big price cup shock over the weekend, and Palace are still tempting me @ 7/2

Don`t want to look like a complete Spanner or have to go into Hiding....But I still think that this weeks Coupon-Buster will be HEARTS away @ Rangers in the SPL.

At the Ready Nurse....
  • edited January 2010
    Had a look at the over/under 2.5 goals bets.

Done the following nine games all to be over 2.5 goals (9 x 8 folds and an acca)

BLACKPOOL V WATFORD
    MK DONS V TRA*MERE
    CARLISLE V STOCKPORT
    CREWE V DARLINGTON
    MORECOMBE V BARNET
    PORTSMOUTH V SUNDERLAND
    BOLTON V SHEFF UTD
    ROTHERHAM V GRIMSBY
    MOTHERWELL V ST MIRREN
  • edited January 2010
    Here's my acca, no time to go in depth, soz.

Sheff Wed
    Carlizzle
    Norwich
    Bury
    Morecambe
    Cowdenbeath
    East Stirling

Good luck everyone with ya bets.
  • edited January 2010
    Well this is going very badly!
  • edited January 2010
    Nice 4-timer you have hit there JAY. Well done M8
  • edited January 2010
    Nice 4-timer you have hit there JAY. Well done M8
    Posted by emilyegg
    Cheers Emily, The risk was worth taking with Rochdale although Norwich started to worry me a bit especially when Holt was sent off in the first half!

Shame about the other 2 but they were long shots anyway so I only lost £2 on them.

I think there's quite a few midweek fixtures next week so I'll be looking at some of them Monday night & get my selections posted early. 
  • edited January 2010
    Well done silentbob. Carlizzle and Cowdenbeath let me down this weekend, the swines. I'll be putting a few bets on the midweek games so i'll try and find time to give a reason for my choices. Looking forward to hearing everyone's tips.

Unlucky with the Hearts prediction emilyegg, don't take those pills just yet, next week we'll be millionaires.
  • edited January 2010

Nice one Lads, gutted that my own predictions were

I Apologise if anyone followed them and I now feel like a proper

In all seriousness though I am delighted that there are good posters, who are knowledgeable and interested in trying to win a few-bob with thought, rather than lobbing darts at a Ladbrokes coupon. Look forward to more posts from you all. I normally put a bet on Euro/World football on a Sunday and have found this more beneficial than our own game this season.

I will pop 9 - selections on here for Sunday, but due to the fact it feels like I can grab defeat from the jaws of victory at the murr-ment (Mark Lawrenson Impression, Sorry) I will not be placing a bet........

On a personal positive, I was not too gutted to see us Horsed in the cup today, Please don`t mess it up now Mr Ashley......

Cheers Lads!

(The above photo has been pending approval for Hours, so would like to let the Mods know that this is my own Personal Newcastle United shirt) printed in appreciation of our skint billionaire muppet owner.

On the bright side, at least I never got a tattoo and the bloke that printed this shirt was laughing so much, he done it for nowt!!!

Was he Laughing at me or with me?.....

Latest SKYBET Odds.

4/9   ...Laughing AT Me
    7/4   ...Laughing WITH Me
    4/6   ...BOTH of the Above
    14/1 ...A Private Joke that Neither Concerned nor Involved Me.

Only SINGLES Accepted on This Market... In the Event of a Tie, I may be Sectioned.

• edited January 2010
    No, Honestly Mike. Please Don't.

Thanks.
  • edited January 2010
    FootballCoca Cola ChampionshipSheff. Wed v PeterboroughMatch Result 23/01/2010 15:00
    Sheff. Wed
    (Win) @ 5/6

FootballCoca Cola League 1Bristol Rov v HartlepoolMatch Result 23/01/2010 15:00Bristol Rov (Win) @ 10/11  
    FootballCoca Cola League 1MK Dons Match Result 23/01/2010 15:00MK Dons (Win) @ 4/7  
    FootballCoca Cola League 1Southend v WycombeMatch Result 23/01/2010 15:00Southend @ 8/11  
    FootballCoca Cola League 2Bury v HerefordMatch Result 23/01/2010 15:00Bury (Win) @ 4/6  
    FootballCoca Cola League 2Morecambe v BarnetMatch Result 23/01/2010 15:00Morecambe (Win) @ 5/6  
    FootballCoca Cola League 2Rotherham v GrimsbyMatch Result 23/01/2010 15:00Rotherham (Win) @ 8/15
    Both bets were 7 sixfolds at 50p a line so got back £28 but would have paid out £192 if all had come in.

Did'nt post selection earlier as i was at work. 

Saw that Bolton came down in price so must have been well backed.

Be lucky

achill
  • edited January 2010
    FootballBarclays Premier LeagueMan. Utd v HullUnder/Over 2.5 Goals 23/01/2010 15:00Over 2.5 Goals (Win) @ 1/2  
    FootballCoca Cola ChampionshipMiddlesbro' v SwanseaUnder/Over 2.5 Goals 23/01/2010 15:00Under 2.5 Goals (Win) @ 8/13  
    FootballCoca Cola League 1Norwich v BrentfordUnder/Over 2.5 Goals 23/01/2010 15:00Under 2.5 Goals (Win) @ 10/11  
    FootballCoca Cola League 2Crewe v DarlingtonUnder/Over 2.5 Goals 23/01/2010 15:00Over 2.5 Goals (Win) @ 4/6  
    FootballCoca Cola League 2Lincoln v BradfordUnder/Over 2.5 Goals 23/01/2010 15:00Over 2.5 Goals (Win) @ evens  
    FootballCoca Cola League 2Morecambe v BarnetUnder/Over 2.5 Goals 23/01/2010 15:00Over 2.5 Goals (Win) @ 5/6  
    FootballCoca Cola League 2Shrewsbury v DagenhamUnder/Over 2.5 Goals 23/01/2010 15:00Under 2.5 Goals @ 4/5
    Sorry don't know what happened there, here's the second bet.

Had to remove tran mere before i could post first bet???? bit odd.
  • edited January 2010
    Quality, and some underside of the bar stuff there achill, Southend were winning as well.

Please check out an earlier post of mine......not sure if the name of a league 1 team from merseyside may be a sweary-word for an all purpose cleaner or something.

I too was puzzled when I couldn`t post the name and had to tactically use a * instead

• edited January 2010
    Sky_Rich's tip of the day if you like your singles. Bolton to beat Sheff U. * the odds are decent considering its a prem side at home and the Owen Coyle factor surely has to take effect now they're not playing arsenal. * i really don't know all that much so please don't put your house on or even follow any of my tips
    Posted by Sky_Rich

whaooo!