You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why do I play on Sky Poker

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat
Well as most of us know the whole change to the cash for points hasnt gone down well by the community and Sky are getting alot of stick for it.....and some would say rightly so. Some feel very passionate about this and are quite angry.

Personally I am not in favour of the changes but I feel passionate about sky poker and I want to share my views on what I love about the site. Maybe others can share their feelings.

I have played on about 6 sites and for me Sky is the clear winner.

The main reason for me is the community - I know people go on about the community and maybe its becoming a cliche at this stage but I genuinely love chatting with people at the tables, have made friends with some of them on facebook and would consider meeting up with some of them someday. I live in Ireland so its not so easy but Im sure many players have met up and become friends through Sky poker. I couldnt even dream about doing this on any other site! Infact the only chat I see at tables in other sites is abuse!
Also the forums are fantastic and hopefully sky dont ever remove these. Maybe other sites have forums but Im not aware of them and certainly have never seen any useful ones on other sites.

Secondly I get the impression that Sky care. Maybe I am being hypnotized into thinking this some would say but I do feel they care. The main reason I think they care is because of the legend that is Tikay aka Tony Kendall. This guy is always giving advice, help and assistance whenever he can, on tv and on this foruminfact I even remember him giving his personal phone number to a plo8 player to help them out (incredible!). Infact I dont know how he does it but his forums replies are always so polite and you can tell from them that this guy genuinely loves poker and genuinely wants to help everyone. I would go as far as to say Tony is an inspiration to me.

Also the fact the Sky have forums and ask for feedback is not something Im aware of on any other site. Yes you can email feedback on other sites but here you can view everyones comments. This can be dangerous for a site but for me top marks to Sky for doing this as I feel it makes things more transparent so this is a big plus for Sky in my opinion. Yes we can say sometimes they look for feedback and do the opposite but for business reasons thats gonna happen sometimes, because our feedback is always for our reasons - there is another side to it and that is Sky is a business and they gotta make a profit.

Many forum members provide great posts - garyqqq, aussie09, craigsg, jac35, ajmilton, churchy slipperslappy spring to mind....another guy whose name escapes me posted updates from the wsop daily - fantastic stuff! Great to hear the views also of top players like mattbates and tommyd.

The TV channel is a big bonus - what other site has this? I already mentioned Tikay, I love alot of other members of the panel. Ryan Spittles, Anna Fowler, Richard Orford spring to mind - also Jules (gosh shes pretty!). I find Neil Channing very interesting to listen to also. Again shame about the move from 861 as I dont have Sky sports but I can understand the reason for such a change.

I think the freerolls on Sky are far better than anywhere else. Some dont care about freerolls but for micro stakes players like me I like them and at least you can win something decent in them. The Mayhem freerolls are fantastic as were many of the previous promotions Sky have run in the last 6 months.

Im excited and nervous about the changes Sky are making. My big wish is that they dont touch the current format of dyms, as 888 have changed all plo8 dyms to super turbo which is a disaster and I simply cannot play there anymore.

I could go on but I wont. 

I'd be interested if others have anything to add or comment on as to why they play on Sky poker.

Ger aka Gerardirl (not to be mistaken by gerardGIRL)

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Hi Ger,

I play on Sky for the same reason as yourself.

Sky in the past encouraged the community element of the site, and it became one of the USPs.

The forum, channel 861, and the SPTs were  fundamental to this, with players becoming friends and being able to meet up, and get to know each other, at a poker/social event.  As a recreational player, this aspect is fundamental to my enjoyment when playing online.  playing against faceless avatars does not quite have the same appeal.

Now channel 861 has gone and the SPTs are no more, two elements of the USP have gone.  Only the forum remains.  The community themselves are now organising their own live events, which I would think must be unique to any  other poker site.

I hope that the new owners keep the forum, and take on board the feedback that they get through the forum, from the well informed and knowledgeable community.

Craig
  • edited May 2015
    (gosh shes pretty!)

More men should say GOSH...  It makes me think of Clark Kent.

Sorry, carry on. :D 
  • edited May 2015

I play on three other sites, but there is nothing approaching the camaraderie on this site and because of that I play less volume on those.

I could ramble on but i won't, the simple reason is I play on sky because its a fun site, lots of great folks and not too many fuds.

:-)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Why do I play on Sky Poker:
    I play on three other sites, but there is nothing approaching the camaraderie on this site and because of that I play less volume on those. I could ramble on but i won't, the simple reason is I play on sky because its a fun site, lots of great folks and not too many fuds. :-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Pretty big bluff that, Jimi.
  • edited May 2015

I had to google "fuds".

The first explanation was not terribly helpful - "plural of fud". Most helpful. I got there though.

Can honestly say I have never heard that expression before. Love discovering new words. Now I just have to find a way to slip it in to a Post & maybe impress someone.
  • edited May 2015
    I had to google "fuds". The first explanation was not terribly helpful - "plural of fud". Most helpful. I got there though.   Can honestly say I have never heard that expression before. Love discovering new words. Now I just have to find a way to slip it in to a Post & maybe impress someone.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah, it was a new word to me until recently. And it was Jimi who introduced it to us in our FB group.

In return, he has learnt plenty of new words, abbreviations etc as well ;)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Why do I play on Sky Poker : Yeah, it was a new word to me until recently. And it was Jimi who introduced it to us in our FB group. In return, he has learnt plenty of new words, abbreviations etc as well ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr[/QUOT

Ha ha, just seen this after Craig ( bhoys) was talking about it. I completely forgot I posted this, had a lot of wine.......

Everyday is a schoolday for me, hanging with you youngsters........and Sam ;-)
  • edited May 2015
    How can you folks never have heard of that word before - it applies to most of you.