You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WSOP Markets

edited June 2015 in Poker Chat

Hi guys

We're going to chat to our friends at Sky Bet about WSOP betting markets.

We're sure there will be some of the standard markets but is there anything you'd like to request them to price up? We'll see which ones we can accomodate.

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited May 2015

It's very hard to price up individuals in the WSOP, due to the size of the field.

One market which worked very well last year was "Number of Runners in the Main Event", which is an easier book to price.
  • edited May 2015
    British bracelet numbers?
  • edited May 2015
    Players that got entry through sky poker, making the cash
  • edited May 2015

Poker betting is so tricky for the bookie. If there are 7000 players in the Main Event some people would say that even if you make the elite players like Daniel Negreanu, Phil Ivey and Jason Mercier 1000/1 and then have "lesser" players like Vanessa Selbst, Chris Moorman and Jake Cody at 1500/1 then the bookmaker is being a bit stingy. I wouldn't really want to be the person at Sky Bet looking after the book if the total bets were about £2,000 and looking down at a couple of £100 bets on Ivey, a couple of £50 bets and a loss of over £300,000 and a tricky chat with the boss if he wins.

I think it works better if you have prices on selected players to make the final table and divide the numbers by ten (there are nine obv but keeping it round). Even then an average guy could be 500/1 or bigger!

Markets like "Top European", "Top British" and "Top Irish" are Ok but working out who is going to play and deciding if you refund on non-runners is something to think about.

I quite like "Top Past Champion", "Top past November Niner" and "Top Female" as they offer manageable field sizes and you know who is going to play.

If you do a "Top xxx" market on a small number of players like top from these four and none make the money it may be impossible to know who has won. They could be all bust on day one with some playing different days and in different rooms 100s of yards apart. At least if you include a dozen or more players in any groups you make you'd be unlucky if none made the money. You could void bets if none do.

For that reason doing heads-up last longer matches is a bad idea.

"Will a women make the final?" for the main event and the number of runners in the main event are often talked about.

I think "Top Sky Player" can include "friends of Sky Poker and put in people who used to appear on the show who may be playing. Possibly Redmond? Carlo? You could offer a price on all Sky Qualifiers to make Day two. Any Sky player to make the last 50...the November 9...

The field in the $111,111 One Drop will be big, maybe 200+ players but at 33/1 the field it's more like a golf event and easier to manage...it also includes all the big names and is fun.

Just a few things to consider...
  • edited May 2015
    The "sky 5" last longer in the main? Matt Bates would be short odds, surely....
  • edited May 2015
    WSOP Main Event..

Last longer, the top/famous players

Phil ivey
    Daniel negreanu
    Phil helmuth
    Sam trickett

etc etc etc...
  • edited May 2015
    I don`t know if you could but could do last longer/making FT/winning/cashing etc for the players that qualified through sky for the $1,111 event and $10k main event 

I`m sure a lot the sky community would be interested putting a few quid on their own players and friends :)
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: WSOP Markets:
    I don`t know if you could but could do last longer/making FT/winning/cashing etc for the players that qualified through sky for the $1,111 event and $10k main event  I`m sure a lot the sky community would be interested putting a few quid on their own players and friends :)
    Posted by liamboi11

Rollz on Liamboi

• edited May 2015
    I`m sure a lot the sky community would be interested putting a few quid on their own players and friends :)
    Posted by liamboi11
    Or against them lol :p
  • edited May 2015
    Having a last longer for sky qualifiers would be good. Could have separate markets for main event and the one drop. Maybe put up odds on players making the cash or final table etc.
  • edited May 2015
    Players that got entry through sky poker, making the cash
    Posted by MrWh1te
    This. 
    I've already said that I'll have £150 on Matt Bates cashing. Give me 7/2 and I'll put my money where my mouth is.
    1 in 10 get paid: come on Skybet, I'm only asking for 7/2 on a 10:1 shot! Don't wimp out.

• edited May 2015
    Skybet may have some balls after all: I'll know tomorrow.
    Conversation transcript below:

James H: Hi, you're through to James H.
     BigBluster: Hi james BigBluster: I would like to place a bet on Matthew Bates cmaking the cash in the World Series of poker
     BigBluster: I'm looking for 7/2 odds and will place £150
     BigBluster: Matthew Bates is a Uk poker player
     James H: I will have to request that for you, whats your user ID please 
     BigBluster: xxxxxxxxx
     James H: I have sent this off for you today. We will reply to your via e-mail tomorrow 
     BigBluster: thanks

If they do offer the 7/2, I'm sure that plenty will consider a punt.

• edited May 2015
     thanks If they do offer the 7/2, I'm sure that plenty will consider a punt.  
    Posted by BigBluster

Matt is an excellent player. However, in my view, those odds are too short, even for him
  • edited May 2015

I had a chat with a good guy who usually does cricket odds for Sky Bet. He told me he doesn't know too much about poker and his colleague had put up some prices yesterday that suggested he might not follow too closely.

I gave him a few pointers and mentioned this thread. I believe they are getting a list of Sky Poker players and having a good think about which markets they want to do. I agree..."to cash" for each qualifier is a good market, easy to understand and define if it's a winner. I'll email him.
  • edited June 2015

I've been speaking to a couple of people about this and there are some markets up now. The usual problems with WSOP markets are finding the results, knowing who is playing and what to do about non-runners.

The markets that they have put up have lots of players in them and the prices are all 10/1 and up so they are not going to take any deduction (a rule 4) away if anyone doesn't play and you will get money back if someone does not play (unlike other bookmakers I believe).

Things like head to head matches are not possible as with multiple start days and rooms it's not always possible to see who goes out 1st (especially on different days) and one person cannot be expected to spend a day monitoring the bets (watching the players and running from room to room).

I have suggested they do something on Ryan, Stuart, the Sky qualifiers and any other "friends of Sky Poker" who play. I suggested a market on which day they bust for each player individually.

Think that will go up soon.
  • edited June 2015

Hi all - the markets Neil mentioned are here

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited June 2015
    I've checked the link and there are no odds available on the sky poker qualifiers to cash in the WSOP.

Mr Channing says above: "I have suggested they do something on Ryan, Stuart, the Sky qualifiers and any other "friends of Sky Poker" who play." 

And rightly so. Skypoker has invested a lot of time and energy supporting the WSOP - with the VLV packages, podcasts. Tikay's updates etc, so why are sky bet so reluctant to let us have a punt on these guys?

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: WSOP Markets :  thanks If they do offer the 7/2, I'm sure that plenty will consider a punt.   Posted by BigBluster
    Matt is an excellent player. However, in my view, those odds are too short, even for him
    Posted by Essexphil

He would only need to make the money once in every four-and-a-half attempts for you to break even. I reckon that's a fair bet.

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: WSOP Markets : Matt is an excellent player. However, in my view, those odds are too short, even for him Posted by Essexphil
    He would only need to make the money once in every four-and-a-half attempts for you to break even. I reckon that's a fair bet.
    Posted by BigBluster

Its height related banter from Phil!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: WSOP Markets : He would only need to make the money once in every four-and-a-half attempts for you to break even. I reckon that's a fair bet. Posted by BigBluster
    Its height related banter from Phil!
    Posted by MattBates
    Whoosh.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: WSOP Markets : Its height related banter from Phil! Posted by MattBates
    Whoosh.
    Posted by belsibub

It wasn't JUST height-related. I would say you are about 9/2 or 5/1. That said, I sincerely hope you have a very deep run.

It is a shame that SkyBet do not appear to want to have any sort of book on the Sky players. It would have been fun.
  • edited June 2015
    I`m not just saying this cause I luckboxed my seat for the smaller wsop event but I agree with most I think they will get a lot of custom if the have a market for sky players that qualified :)