You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2003 WSOP Main Event Final Table

edited June 2015 in Poker Chat
After managing to catch a little bit of the live show tonight, Neil mentioned a "Where Are You Know" feature on Moneymaker's final table. I had a quick scoot around and a lot of really good players were on that final table - eventually 6 of the 9 ended up with bracelets.

1 Chris Moneymaker - everyone knows that story, so no need to reproduce it here.

2 Sammy Farha - The victim of Moneymaker's heads-up win, including one outrageous bluff, Sammy won one bracelet before that FT, picked up another one in 2006 and a third in 2010 (all three in variants of Omaha). Was a TV regular in the days of High Stakes Poker

3 Dan Harrington - won two bracelets, including the ME, in 1995, and went on to make the FT again in 2004. When added to his 6th way back in 1987, he made the Final Table 4 times and his back-to-back FT's was unmatched in recent years until Mark Newhouse's run in the last two years.

4 Jason Lester - he went on to win a bracelet in 2006 and racked up cashes in the WSOP over a 22-year span (1990-2012) but was better known as a High Stakes Cash player

5 Tomer Benvenisti - A bona-fide amateur, qualifying via a $125 satellite, he had another deep run the year after (coming 190th). Went on to manage a travel company organising visits to Antarctica and be a stand-up comic.

6 Amir Vehidi -  Although he never won a bracelet, he was a regular winner of mid-stakes tournaments across America. He was a poker coach for Ben Affleck, but died from complications of diabetes in 2010 at the age of 48

7 Young Pak - The one player who never achieved much outside that final table. The $200K he picked up there makes up nearly 95% of the lifetime cashes recorded on the Hendon Mob website.

8 David Grey - Another player who is a bracelet holder (in his case two, a stud bracelet in 1999 and a 2-7 draw in 2005). He is also best known as a cash game player and appeared on "High Stakes Poker" and "Poker After Dark". He is still active (his last recorded MTT cash was about 9 months ago)

9 David Singer - Made the FT of all 3 big buy-in NLH events at the 2003 Series, made the final table of the $50K Horse two years in a row (2006 & 07) before finally picking up his bracelet in 2008 in a Pot Limit tournament.

The players who just missed the FT weren't two shabby either, 10th was one Phil Ivey, Minh Nguyen in 11th won 2 bracelets, Dutch Boyd in 12th won 3, Freddy Deeb has 2 in 13th won 2 and 14th & 15th were Marcel Lüske & Bruno Fitoussi, both still highly competitive today. Legend Scotty Nguyen also made the last two tables (18th)

Comments

• edited June 2015

Great post FCHD. Brings back a lot of memories.

David Singer was slightly unlucky to bust and felt like he was possibly the strongest player. Got his money, marched straight to a dice table in the Golden Nugget and put the lot out there. I know because I had come up with the genius idea of gambling on craps on that very table to see if I could get my three weeks stay at the Nugget comped.

I have to say it was almost a very expensive hotel room and I was still there seven hours later. Luckily I got very fortunate and was able to quit while I was winning.

Mr Singer was about $60,000 down at one stage, he got even and left. I think he just needed to get out his frustration.

Nobody else was playing. We didn't exchange a word.