You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

the bigger tournaments?

edited June 2015 in The Poker Clinic
hi just wondering I play the tournaments here 5/10 and of course see the ridiculous bad beats that happen far too often for it to be random in my opinion, im currently on my 12th all in loser in a row which considering most of the time I have had the better hand would seem impossible, what I was wondering was in the bigger tournies do people see as many bad plays getting lucky? or is it just lower stakes...........

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Hi

Define bad play? Be great if you could post a hand selection and can then tell you the odds. If people have notes on you (by the way I do ) then may be a reason call wider / tighter. 

It is 100% random. Interestingly I watched a program on random number generators, and they said that by being completely random, it made people think it was not due to certain events happening in quick succession which seemed unrealistic, when in fact it was just random and all though unprobable, did have a chance of that.

If you got it in good 12 times in a row then that's amazing. Keep that up. Remember, in that 12 times, if 60/40 ahead you would loose 5 of them if purely down to stats. But as I am sure you are aware, that's 60/40 or 70/30 each time, and if they got a chance can win.

Don't dwell on it, as said, post some hands
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    In Response to the bigger tournaments?:
    hi just wondering I play the tournaments here 5/10 and of course see the ridiculous bad beats that happen far too often for it to be random in my opinion, im currently on my 12th all in loser in a row which considering most of the time I have had the better hand would seem impossible, what I was wondering was in the bigger tournies do people see as many bad plays getting lucky? or is it just lower stakes...........
    Posted by fliddyfish
    the key to this is that part in bold, lower stakes mean more fish, more calling stations, less people respecting your own betting therefore you'll be getting far more enounters of bad beats, it's all about the looseness of these players got nothing to do with the being rigged.

If you get so frustrated over all these bad beats move over to micro stakes cash tables where the blinds will always remain the same therefore you'll not need to build up a stake, if you still want to play MTTs why not play the sit and gos where although loose the will be more happy to fold a bet on the flop knowing it could cost them an easy chance to make cash.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'd guess that the bad beats will be less frequent, but on the flip side you'll be playing better players so you'll bust out without cashing far more frequently as well.

I'd much rather play worse players (in lower buy ins) and be at risk of a few bad beats, but have a regular chance of cashing/winning those tournaments where the luck runs my way!

btw where you exit on a bad beat (assuming we refer to 60/40s as such), you've arguably not built a big enough stack to protect against this (something I know I'm guilty of).  Perhaps the key could be to get busier early on in tournaments to build a stack that can afford to lose one or two flips and still remain playable?