You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker TV: LIVE - Tuesday 9th June

edited June 2015 in Poker Chat

Join Richard Orford and Joe Stapleton on tonight's live show on Sky Sports 4 from 10pm to midnight!

Guests Daniel Charlton & David McConachie will be taking on the 100 Challenge live in the studio! Haven't heard of it? Get all the details here, maybe you'll appear on the box yourself?

Comments

• edited June 2015
    have a great show
  • edited June 2015
    Kirsty beat me to it!

Yes, we're live again tonight. Obvs you know Stapes. And David McConachie has been on a few times before. The newboy tonight will be online grinder extraordinaire Daniel Charlton making his Sky Poker debut.

Would love your messages- either post on them on here or tweet #skypokertv.

And we're recording loads of news, strategy tips, WSOP updates and the like with Mr Ambo, Neil Channing, before we go live tonight. So look out for all of that on our YouTube channel over the coming days.

See you later!

• edited June 2015
    i must say YAWN guys,  any chance of a format change soon.
  • edited June 2015
    Looking forward to the WSOP updates, especially if you get an interview with Mr Rutter after his superb FT appearance. Hopefully there will be a SkyPoker connected bracelet this year.

Please give a shout out for FCHD for his superb thread on here (broadcasting rules permitting!)

• edited June 2015
    Kirsty started the show thread and I was hoping to see a show presented by Kirsty and analysed by Joe (as was Joe*).

We'll have to settle for Richard instead.  Rich, When is your 100 Challenge happening?

*That would be as dangerous as Anna and Carlo on the same show.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV: LIVE - Tuesday 9th June:
    Kirsty beat me to it! Yes, we're live again tonight. Obvs you know Stapes. And David McConachie has been on a few times before. The newboy tonight will be online grinder extraordinaire Daniel Charlton making his Sky Poker debut. Would love your messages- either post on them on here or tweet #skypokertv. And we're recording loads of news, strategy tips, WSOP updates and the like with Mr Ambo, Neil Channing, before we go live tonight. So look out for all of that on our YouTube channel over the coming days. See you later!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    So can you now use forum posts on the show? 

• edited June 2015
    It's the time of year when people of all shapes, sizes, ages, abilities, alcohol tolerances and dress senses descend on a few buildings in the middle of the desert in some distant corner of the U S of A. Live poker lols aplenty, as the kids say. Probably. 

Anyway, my question to the couch panel: What's the weirdest thing you've ever seen happen at a poker table?

Keep up the good grinding. 

Tal
  • edited June 2015
    It's the time of year when people of all shapes, sizes, ages, abilities, alcohol tolerances and dress senses descend on a few buildings in the middle of the desert in some distant corner of the U S of A. Live poker lols aplenty, as the kids say. Probably.  Anyway, my question to the couch panel: What's the weirdest thing you've ever seen happen at a poker table? Keep up the good grinding.  Tal
    Posted by Tal_1960
    Nice car, Sir, very nice.

• edited June 2015

I'm starting to get the idea that you don't like the Tuesday shows Redarrow. They definitely aren't going to appeal to every single viewer, that feels like an impossible task. The recent figures of 40,000+ viewers means they are unlikely to rip it up and start again...at the end of the day both BskyB and Sky Poker want a show that is watched by as many people as possible and they are doing really well on that.

I'm sure that the team who work hard on the show are always thinking of ways to improve it though. What would you like to see in the two hour spot that is available on Sky Sports 4?
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Neil

Do you think the viewing figures are improved because of the format of the show or because it is on a Sky sports channel, or both?

I suspect that the current viewers may not have come accross the show on channel 861 but if one of the format of the old 861 shows were tried on the new Sky Sports channel it might also get 40k viewers. There again it may not :)

Not saying I don't like the new format but I wonder if the new viewers relate to the content or just where the show is screened.

Cheers

Ian 
  • edited June 2015

I take your point. I'm certain that Sky Sports 4 gets very many more viewers than 861 did and that it would if they showed five consecutive 0-0 draws from the late 80s.

The figures that they give to Sky Poker show level of engagement and average viewing time and stuff and I understand these are good though.

Personally I believe that it really is vital to think about what current viewers of that channel might want  and give them that, rather than think what would we like to give them and what would we want them to like and give them that. Therefore the idea is to attempt to "sportify" poker and make it appeal to an existing audience.

In many threads about the TV channel I don't think we've managed to get over the initial problem though. The 861 shows were 5 hours long, they happened five and latterly three times a week and there were some restrictions on what was allowed and not allowed. The Tuesday shows are two hours, they have a very good number of viewers right now and there are even more restrictions on what is allowed and what isn't.

I've yet to be convinced that changing back to a "more 861 style" format is going to add more viewers than there currently are. It may lose a lot of new people that have been picked up recently.

What I am really confused about is how the people who seem to mostly just want the world to spin back a year and to get to watch 15 hours of 861 a week propose to make that happen in two hours on a different channel with different restrictions.

Is it really that different to 861? Most of the two hours still consists of poker hands that were played on the site being analysed and discussed by some people, many of whom are the same, sitting on the same sofa?

To the dozen or so people who have posted regularly to moan about the new show can I ask what you would change given the new constraints?

It's possible that many people just think that moaning every week means that Sky Poker will "cave in" and 861 will come back. I know the shows were much loved but I have to tell you that will not happen. Sky Betting and Gaming is a separate company to BSkyB and they do not own a TV channel or a licence to run one.

I would have said that having a two hour show on Sky Sports 4 at a reasonable hour that gets 40-50k viewers each week is a good job done by the Sky Poker TV people and a good thing for the site. I'm yet to be convinced that this is a bad thing.

Consider also that 861 would often get less than 1000 viewers. Even it it was possible to make 15 hours fit into 2 hours I'm not sure that would be a great idea.

• edited June 2015
    A lot of players like having a hand shown on the tele and the banter they could enjoy with the presenters/analysts. If you are a random who knows nothing about skypoker is watching MattBates win a flip and someone doing a Matt is small gag really going to engage you with the show?
  • edited June 2015
     I'm starting to get the idea that you don't like the Tuesday shows Redarrow. They definitely aren't going to appeal to every single viewer, that feels like an impossible task. The recent figures of 40,000+ viewers means they are unlikely to rip it up and start again...at the end of the day both BskyB and Sky Poker want a show that is watched by as many people as possible and they are doing really well on that.  I'm sure that the team who work hard on the show are always thinking of ways to improve it though. What would you like to see in the two hour spot that is available on Sky Sports 4?
    Posted by NChanning
    Hi Neil aspects i enjoyed from the 861 channel were highlights of the final tables for one and special guests sharing their stories of how they got into poker etc.
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks for your reply.

I agree with a lot of what you say, personally I enjoyed the old shows but I thought they were too long and needed a refresh.I also enjoy the new show but do not watch it every week. I think the main difference for me is that on the old format catered in some segments to tournament play as opposed to cash and as I tend to only play tournaments I related to these segments. The cash coverage of the new show does not differ greatly to the old show.

I think the problem of people moaning (as you put it, which maybe an emotive word but Im getting the picture you call it as you see it :) ) is that the forum members (including me) related to the old show and felt it was a bit like like a members club and it brought the community together. 

The community has definately suffered from various changes since new ownership happened and although Sky have to see it as a business and have gone out to attract new customers they do appear to give the attitude they are not interested in nurturing existing customers, Im sure this is not be the case but I think it has been seen this way. It is probably not a good analogy but it is a bit like when you come to renew your car insurance if you move to new insurers you get a cheaper deal from new customer incentives but if you stay with your old insurers you pay more than new customers to that company. Inevitably you move on but you probably come back a year later.

I look forward to seeing how the new show progresses but also hope the new owners can make existing customers feel settled as well.

I enjoy reading your posts, one change for the good is that you do take a very active roll in posting a lot on the forum which is a very positive step forward.

• edited June 2015
    A lot of players like having a hand shown on the tele and the banter they could enjoy with the presenters/analysts. If you are a random who knows nothing about skypoker is watching MattBates win a flip and someone doing a Matt is small gag really going to engage you with the show?
    Posted by MattBates

Specifically on that point Matt I would say yes. The number of viewers and the average time spent viewing say they are interested in the show. For those random newcomers stumbling across poker it makes no difference what the screen names are.

I take your point that 861 could show many different games and types of poker format so lots of different players of all stakes could see their hand on TV but I think this is hard to replicate now. Firstly constantly referencing the size of game or type of tournament takes time and it's tricky when you are limited in the way you can reference the site .

I get it that 25p/50p is too big for many players and the tables fill quickly so some people who like having their hands talked about on TV may now feel excluded but I personally feel the analysis from most of the recent guests has been fantastic and anyone can learn masses without actually being in those hands.