You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice on running bad

Just come off a pretty bad 2 months of poker. Constantly getting into spots where i have to coin toss for tournamnet survival (another issue)

It just seems that I get it in good, as I'm always slightly favoured in these situations. Either dominating the other hand, two over cards vs their two under cards, or a made hand (pocket pair, or top pair vs their f-all'

It feels like I am making plays that slightly favour me all the time, and that in the long run I should be getting a good share of fortune, but of course I rarely do.

THe favoured coin toss  always seems to run against me. And this affects future tournament plays as im starting to avoid coin tossing now unless Im extremely shortstacked.

Question here is how do you react to a consistent bad variance streak? What do you change to say halt this bad streak?

Ive taken solid time off, watched videos and read up on different strategies to try out, but they all seem useless when i getting the poor end of the coin flip.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Advice on running bad:
    Just come off a pretty bad 2 months of poker. Constantly getting into spots where i have to coin toss for tournamnet survival (another issue) It just seems that I get it in good, as I'm always slightly favoured in these situations. Either dominating the other hand, two over cards vs their two under cards, or a made hand (pocket pair, or top pair vs their f-all' It feels like I am making plays that slightly favour me all the time, and that in the long run I should be getting a good share of fortune, but of course I rarely do. THe favoured coin toss  always seems to run against me. And this affects future tournament plays as im starting to avoid coin tossing now unless Im extremely shortstacked. Question here is how do you react to a consistent bad variance streak? What do you change to say halt this bad streak? Ive taken solid time off, watched videos and read up on different strategies to try out, but they all seem useless when i getting the poor end of the coin flip.
    Posted by Viveora2
    Hi Vive,

Much of this is in the mind. Read "The Mental Game of Poker". It will solve most of your assumed problems immediately. It's almost all in the mind. 

Also, for starters.....

Read
    THIS

And THIS

If that does not improve the perception, then you are doing something wrong as to how you play the game.

Let us know how you get on, please, & good luck.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Advice on running bad:
    Just come off a pretty bad 2 months of poker. Constantly getting into spots where i have to coin toss for tournamnet survival (another issue) It just seems that I get it in good, as I'm always slightly favoured in these situations. Either dominating the other hand, two over cards vs their two under cards, or a made hand (pocket pair, or top pair vs their f-all' It feels like I am making plays that slightly favour me all the time, and that in the long run I should be getting a good share of fortune, but of course I rarely do. THe favoured coin toss  always seems to run against me. And this affects future tournament plays as im starting to avoid coin tossing now unless Im extremely shortstacked. Question here is how do you react to a consistent bad variance streak? What do you change to say halt this bad streak? Ive taken solid time off, watched videos and read up on different strategies to try out, but they all seem useless when i getting the poor end of the coin flip.
    Posted by Viveora2
    First of all nice to see somebody not resort to the 'Sky poker is rigged' argument.
    Poker can be a very cruel game but you always need to think 'long term'. It sucks when your playing great and you end up going out on a flip or with the best hand but all you can do is make the most profitable decisions possible in each situation and instead of getting frustrated when you bubble a final table with your queens v.s ace 4 think to yourself '70% of the time I double my chips'.
    The very worst thing you can do is actively seek to avoid flips if its profitable. If your waiting for premium hands all the time you'll have so little chips that a double up is worthless in comparison to going with the 'flip'.
    I don't know how you play but it sounds like you may be being too tight. If you find yourself with AK on 5 big blinds and you get knocked out by a hand like J8o you might want to think about how you allowed yourself to get so short as opposed to how unlucky you got to lose.
    For what its worth I'm going through the worst streak since I started playing. Last time I played I tallied my flips (sad i know) and found I won 4 and lost 13. But as long as I make profitable decisions then I'll win in the long run so its all okay.
    Remember even the best players in the world only win half of their flips!
  • edited June 2015

^^^^

Great post, that.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Advice on running bad:
    ^^^^ Great post, that.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tikay. Nice to see you as usual going out your way to help people out. You gave me similar advice in a recent thread I started about running bad and it was really helpful. Keep doing what your doing your a great asset to sky poker!
  • edited June 2015
    Im no good  with technology maybe one of you chaps put a link up to your post Grogg, where you were given some solid advice ;)

But yes as TK says the mind is a funny thing, we tend to forget our aj beating ak etc.

The book TK recommended BUY IT, read it, then re read it.

good luck in your endeavors

Regards

James
  • edited June 2015
    A lot of the times there is an expectation issue. The problem is you go all in with aces preflop and you have the best hand in NLHE so you should win every time right? Well no, your not going to win every time but we expect to win every time. We are not a 100% favourite so when we win we have performed ahead of expectations looking at that one occasion in isolation. Also sometimes our expectations are off as we have the % incorrect of us winning so we feel hard done by but our 70/30 was actually a 60/40.

If we have 100bb and lose a 20bb pot we don't care all that much, don't even notice it. When we have 10bb and we lose the 20bb pot its game over, we notice it. It hurts.

I think the first part of what you said is actually more key than the second part.

"Constantly getting into spots where i have to coin toss for tournament survival (another issue)"

Winning uncontested pots and smaller pots is key in MTTs. If we have 20bb and can get to 30bb without having to go all in this is really good to our stack. We cant just wait for premiums and hope they hold. 3bet jamming and raising unopened pots from late position help us gain chips. At times we will go out with a non premium hand or when we are not a favourite to win. Likewise sometimes we will correctly put our chips in the middle, be up against a better hand and win!

Tips from me
    Put your hands into a odds calculator (a lot of these are out there, google is your friend), quite often we aren't as big a favourite as we thought.
    Review your hands
    - See if your stealing the blinds much
    - Are you playing back against aggressive players enough

Too often players look at the flip they lose as the reason they went out of a tournament and say there was nothing they could do. This is rarely the case, of course we need to win our flips to win tournaments but there are other factors involved too.

Post some hands in the clinic and people will give you help.
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks for your advice guys. I know i would find upswings, it was more of 'what you do to get out of bad swings' type thread.

Just to let you know, I have cashed in two small tournaments, (winning one!) in the last two days, so really appreciating the good swings now, which maybe I wouldnt if i didnt go on bad streaks

(And i did notice some bad beats that ive dished out!).
  • edited June 2015
    first off-good post.its the same old question of am I jinxed or what?my moves are justified and my results hurt in often survival senarios.these outcomes are only interpreted as harsh and sick because that's how we perceive them.i think maybe you have to put this down to the GODS as your play indicates a decent grasp of the game.jim.