You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Comments

• edited June 2015
    There's hope for us yet
  • edited June 2015
    you conna post things like this Tikay its good news no ones intrested in good news,now if it were a moan youd have a 6 page thread :)
    well played mr gale
    hope you are having a great time Tikay
  • edited June 2015
    .............and I'm not talking varicose veins or piles, though knowing John, he's had them both.

Hilarious.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Old Bloke Wins Turbo?:
    you conna post things like this Tikay its good news no ones intrested in good news,now if it were a moan youd have a 6 page thread :) well played mr gale hope you are having a great time Tikay
    Posted by stokefc
    It's desperately sad, isn't it Stokey? It really is a shame.

I'd best not say any more, in case I get in trouble.

And yes, I'm having a great time, thank you. Very sad day today, as my non-poker holiday ends, it was perhaps the happiest 10 days of my life, but that's another story altogether.

• edited June 2015
    Delete this thread please there is no scandal ...its too nice lol

Ger
  • edited June 2015
    you conna post things like this Tikay its good news no ones intrested in good news,now if it were a moan youd have a 6 page thread :) well played mr gale hope you are having a great time Tikay
    Posted by stokefc
    Need to give us a bit more info to comment on... I can't open that link because of firewall.

WP whoever it is that won whatever comp it is being talked about though.  Winning is good :)
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Old Bloke Wins Turbo? : Need to give us a bit more info to comment on... I can't open that link because of firewall. WP whoever it is that won whatever comp it is being talked about though.  Winning is good :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    Its in "Latest News" page
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Old Bloke Wins Turbo? : It's desperately sad, isn't it Stokey? It really is a shame.   I'd best not say any more, in case I get in trouble.   And yes, I'm having a great time, thank you. Very sad day today, as my non-poker holiday ends, it was perhaps the happiest 10 days of my life, but that's another story altogether.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Whilst people do seem to post lots when moaning, lots of people would have read it but its a story about someone that hardly anyone on here knows. If it was one about Julian/Ryan/Stu etc getting say top 100 you would get a lot of posts.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Old Bloke Wins Turbo? : Whilst people do seem to post lots when moaning, lots of people would have read it but its a story about someone that hardly anyone on here knows. If it was one about Julian/Ryan/Stu etc getting say top 100 you would get a lot of posts.
    Posted by MattBates
    Hi Matthew Bates Esq,

Yes, I think you may be right.

My point stands, nonetheless. People would rather moan than praise, be negative than positive, believe the worst rather than take others at face value. None of this is anything we as poker players or human beings should be particularly proud of.

"Sky Poker pulled a stroke there". Oh really. They pull strokes?

"Sky Poker are a bunch of idiots, they messed up yet again". Do you know why players feel empowered to be so rude? I'll tell you. Because they KNOW The Business cannot reply in kind. Can you imagine the furore if The Business responded in kind?

"OMG OMG OMG they were rude to me". The bottom lip would be quivering 13 to the dozen. So it seems a bit rich to me to speak or write in such a tone when they know The Business cannot respond in kind. It's like hitting someone who has their hands tied behind their back.

A chap came on here a few days ago asking for a bit of help with his game, as he was running bad. He never suggested the software was rigged, or he had lost with Aces 103 times in a row, the ace always comes when he has Kings or any of that nonsense, he just said "I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what". His post was polite & respectful, well constructed, easy on the eye, not splattered with multi-exclamation marks, & broken into sensibly sized chapters. After around 16 hours, he had not had a single reply. Not one. A year ago he'd have had 10 or more. I replied, & then another chap replied. Nobody else has, 48 hours on. (See
    HERE ) Are we as a Community proud of that? I know I'm not. We can do better. Life & poker should not all be "me me me".

If he had said "Sky Poker ripped me off for £2 & have no idea what they are doing", how many replies would THAT have got? "SORT IT OUT SKY!!!!!"

Do you see where I'm going with this? We are entitled to chunter & grumble about Freerolls & £2.30 Tokens, I don't dispute that. But the balance seems to have got out of kilter, & that's really something called "group think" at work, where everyone sort of follows everyone else instead of thinking independently. We have a handful of contrarians here - you included - but we need more people who can form their own opinions.

Anyway, back to John Gale. It's not a regular every day tale, it's a spectacular story, a celebration of all things good in poker & in life, & most of all - beating adversity.  At a time when Tomgoodun & Dale (& a special friend of mine Next Door) are battling adversity, there was a deeper meaning & reason for my Blog - I hoped it would inspire others for whom life may be a bit uphill right now.  

Anyway, we'd best move on.

Memo to self - don't post at 0730 when I feel chuntery.
  • edited June 2015
    .............and I'm not talking varicose veins or piles, though knowing John, he's had them both. Hilarious.
    Posted by mumsie
    Hi mumsie,

Well there's a thing.

As it happens, I spent a very happy half hour last night with John Gale & Nolan Dalla (Nolan is the WSOP Comms Director, &  long-term friend)) & we discussed that Blog, & my comment about piles & varicose veins. John thought it was hilarious.

And guess what? he said "well I've not had varicose veins yet, but yup, I've suffered from piles".

So there you go, it was written half in jest, but it turned out to be true. That's called "knowing your subject".

I must add that John was abso thrilled to bits, & quite right too.

To me, that's a "good vibes" story. I like good vibes stories.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Old Bloke Wins Turbo? : Need to give us a bit more info to comment on... I can't open that link because of firewall. WP whoever it is that won whatever comp it is being talked about though.  Winning is good :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    Hi Shaky,

Try clicking
    HERE

Is that any better?
  • edited June 2015
    Enjoyed the read - now because it's you I clicked on it anyway.

It might be worth be putting a bit of context around the link in the teaser and advertise is it as a link to a blog on here not some random 3rd party content?

Liked the story - never knew any of that background and it was lovely to read it. WP Mr Gale.

Now to test Mr Bates theory, have you caught up with Mr Rutter yet. If Matt thinks a top 100 place will fill a thread, surely a FT will crash the server?

I agree with everything said about the forum too. Occasionally guilty myself but I do generally try and be positive (ie constructive) even if I am critical.

I will try harder though - and maybe just ignore the moany threads altogether - seems trying to inject a bit of calm and reason into them just fuels the fire.

• edited June 2015
    Enjoyed the read - now because it's you I clicked on it anyway. It might be worth be putting a bit of context around the link in the teaser and advertise is it as a link to a blog on here not some random 3rd party content? Liked the story - never knew any of that background and it was lovely to read it. WP Mr Gale. Now to test Mr Bates theory, have you caught up with Mr Rutter yet. If Matt thinks a top 100 place will fill a thread, surely a FT will crash the server? I agree with everything said about the forum too. Occasionally guilty myself but I do generally try and be positive (ie constructive) even if I am critical. I will try harder though - and maybe just ignore the moany threads altogether - seems trying to inject a bit of calm and reason into them just fuels the fire.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Not at all. Don't think you have EVER been rude, not once in over 1,000 Posts, & if you are unhappy about something - & that's perfectly fine of course - you are always constructive.  
  • edited June 2015
    A chap came on here a few days ago asking for a bit of help with his game, as he was running bad. He never suggested the software was rigged, or he had lost with Aces 103 times in a row, the ace always comes when he has Kings or any of that nonsense, he just said "I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what ". His post was polite & respectful, well constructed, easy on the eye, not splattered with multi-exclamation marks, & broken into sensibly sized chapters. After around 16 hours, he had not had a single reply. Not one.

If he had said " Sky Poker ripped me off for £2 & have no idea what they are doing ", how many replies would THAT have got? "SORT IT OUT SKY!!!!!" Posted by Tikay10
    TBF the guy posted in BBV, a traditionally quieter part of the board where a lot of people don't even click links because they expect to read chuntering... if he'd posted in the Clinic or a Mod had moved the post there, it would have got responses sooner (well played to you and the others that have subsequently offered feedback BTW!)

With regards the bit in red - this is more a volume/value debate surely?  When someone starts a chunter post, a huge chunk of the responses are trolling/sarcastic/put downs and make a thread look busy but with no real value. 

It's a lot harder for people to respond like that when somebody posts a positive, well constructed piece on the boards that doesn't warrant more than a 'VWP' / 'GG' / 'Nice Post' response... which themselves aren't the most value-adding of posts to make and I imagine lots of people read the post but don't think it worth posting such a short reponse.

Not that I disagree that we need more positivity here though :)  Am hopeful that we'll get a good dose of that when the VLV package winners get back and make us all jealous with tales of how much fun it all was and (hopefully) how much they cashed for!!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Old Bloke Wins Turbo? : TBF the guy posted in BBV, a traditionally quieter part of the board where a lot of people don't even click links because they expect to read chuntering... if he'd posted in the Clinic or a Mod had moved the post there, it would have got responses sooner (well played to you and the others that have subsequently offered feedback BTW!) With regards the bit in red - this is more a volume/value debate surely?  When someone starts a chunter post, a huge chunk of the responses are trolling/sarcastic/put downs and make a thread look busy but with no real value.  It's a lot harder for people to respond like that when somebody posts a positive, well constructed piece on the boards that doesn't warrant more than a 'VWP' / 'GG' / 'Nice Post' response... which themselves aren't the most value-adding of posts to make and I imagine lots of people read the post but don't think it worth posting such a short reponse. Not that I disagree that we need more positivity here though :)  Am hopeful that we'll get a good dose of that when the VLV package winners get back and make us all jealous with tales of how much fun it all was and (hopefully) how much they cashed for!!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Or a post is started saying Vegas went bad.....am now broke, need money for food!
  • edited June 2015
    ps thanks for the new link, a good read thank you!

Always nice to see us Brits picking up bracelets :)
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks for the new link Tikay, I am relucant to click on Shortened URLs so I passed, and I'm glad I found the article now.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Old Bloke Wins Turbo? : Not at all. Don't think you have EVER been rude, not once in over 1,000 Posts, & if you are unhappy about something - & that's perfectly fine of course - you are always constructive.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks Tikay - maybe never rude (deliberately to cause offence) but I have had some moments I later regreted and sometimes things can get misinterpreted when you can read the "tone of voice".

By the way I shouldn't have been surprised you knew this succesful UK poker player in his 60's - you are known for helping the younger players into the game. (winky face)