You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

time to call an end

edited June 2015 in Poker Chat
It's official my mental game is extremely difficult to control, even when reading that mental game of poker book, things still seem as bad as they usually are. When I actually take into account the fact i'm yet to go on that great holiday I was planning to do after the cash prize in highroller. It gets me thinking there is no point even continuing because all the people around me are consistently arguing that poker is total luck.

people might be surprised to see me say this but I will say it "the high roller is what I think has lead to this"! it started with a couple of weeks positive tilt, having lost a so much stepping myself up too quickly I resumed to nl20 where I began to make heavy losses again something I don't usually see myself doing and this lead to panic by others around me who demanded I take almost the full lot out of the account leaving me with just £100, this inturn leads me to start putting too much pressure on myself expecting to easily get the cash back and return onto nl20 in no time ie thinking I can get from £100 to £1K in just 2 months of nl4, leading to even more mistakes.

Poker itself should still continue but will be redone from scratch on a whole new account on my other site 888poker because that one has still got me playing nl4 having not spent anywhere near as much time on it as I spent on this one.

it's been great know you all but time to say good bye.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    In Response to time to call an end:
    It's official my mental game is extremely difficult to control, even when reading that mental game of poker book, things still seem as bad as they usually are. When I actually take into account the fact i'm yet to go on that great holiday I was planning to do after the cash prize in highroller. It gets me thinking there is no point even continuing because all the people around me are consistently arguing that poker is total luck. people might be surprised to see me say this but I will say it "the high roller is what I think has lead to this"! it started with a couple of weeks positive tilt, having lost a so much stepping myself up too quickly I resumed to nl20 where I began to make heavy losses again something I don't usually see myself doing and this lead to panic by others around me who demanded I take almost the full lot out of the account leaving me with just £100, this inturn leads me to start putting too much pressure on myself expecting to easily get the cash back and return onto nl20 in no time ie thinking I can get from £100 to £1K in just 2 months of nl4, leading to even more mistakes. Poker itself should still continue but will be redone from scratch on a whole new account on my other site 888poker because that one has still got me playing nl4 having not spent anywhere near as much time on it as I spent on this one. it's been great know you all but time to say good bye.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Well, im not happy about that, Ive got a  notes on you.
  • edited June 2015
    All the best, hopefully reconsider. 

If not enjoying the game a total break would be better mate
  • edited June 2015
    Have to admire your honestly Craig, I dont know you but I wish you all the best.

Be happy man

Ger
  • edited June 2015

It does appear you put far too much pressure on yourself to make consistent profits. You are not a professional so there is no need to treat the game as if you have to make a living from it. There isn't a player on this site who has played comparable volume to yourself who won't have experienced some downswings. Yes its not nice to lose money but the nature of the game is such that somebody has to lose in order for somebody else to win. it sucks but its just how it is.

Your posts have been mostly downbeat since the big high roller cash and it sounds as if you are gaining little to no enjoyment from playing. If that is the case I would suggest a total break from playing would be for the best.
    Come back when you feel the itch to actually play some cards rather than look to make a dent in your recent losses.

Best of luck.
  • edited June 2015

Have a nice break but I would recommended coming back to Sky Poker because I feel its a quality site and its only getting better.

• edited June 2015
    again this is your mental leak where you feel that starting again on another site will sort out all you problems

I would suggest

1. quit your dairy on Sky, posting is just putting too much pressure on you and frankly your plaqued by your history on Sky and this is just not good for you

2. Play some NL4 when you feel like you wanna play

3. Start at one table

4. Start enjoying your poker again

5. Then look to move forward

above anything else play for yourself - because you want to 

• edited June 2015
    Have an agreed budget with 'everyone around you' and stick to it. Problem solved.

None poker players wont care about BRM, but will probably think £40 a month is very reasonable for a hobby which gives you 4 or 5 hours fun a night.
  • edited June 2015
    you might all be thinking this was caused from a bad run, actually it was an over reaction following a message which i  had over reacted to on facebook having taken it the wrong way.

all in all i played abolsutely no poker yesterday, but with a little chat with lambert180 and dohhh on face book i have decided now i'll certainly be best off taking a break away from sky poker for a month and moving along to a new poker site.

The great thing about this poker site (pokerstars) is it can enable me to use a tool called tilt breaker, what this does is allows me to set a limit on how many buy ins worth i can lose, how much money i shall win and how long in general i can spend on a site before this automatically boots me off table and keeps me away for so many hours.

I've taken almost all my cash away from this site and used it on that other one the first deposit bonus itself is what i shall return back, i've kept some cash on here because one thing i will still be playing is DTD for flyingdragg himself.

good bye for now
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: time to call an end:
    Have an agreed budget with 'everyone around you' and stick to it. Problem solved. None poker players wont care about BRM, but will probably think £40 a month is very reasonable for a hobby which gives you 4 or 5 hours fun a night.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    as you say like really £40 a month is good enough to make considering i can't drive and my holidays never seem to come round the main thing i spend cash on as a bonus is pokemon cards to complete the collections.
  • edited June 2015
    It sounds like a complete break for a few days is a good idea.

You seem to have better advisors on facebook than I will ever be though.

GL at whichever tables you play - and keep us posted from time to time.

Hope you get that holiday sorted too.
  • edited June 2015
    you might all be thinking this was caused from a bad run, actually it was an over reaction following a message which i  had over reacted to on facebook having taken it the wrong way. all in all i played abolsutely no poker yesterday, but with a little chat with lambert180 and dohhh on face book i have decided now i'll certainly be best off taking a break away from sky poker for a month and moving along to a new poker site. The great thing about this poker site (pokerstars) is it can enable me to use a tool called tilt breaker, what this does is allows me to set a limit on how many buy ins worth i can lose, how much money i shall win and how long in general i can spend on a site before this automatically boots me off table and keeps me away for so many hours. I've taken almost all my cash away from this site and used it on that other one the first deposit bonus itself is what i shall return back, i've kept some cash on here because one thing i will still be playing is DTD for flyingdragg himself. good bye for now
    Posted by craigcu12
    Wow. what a great tool.  It sounds very similar to the one that I use when playing poker on any site, but especially skypoker.  I was thinking of trying to patent it.  I have called it Self Control.  This tool is very versatile, it allows me to set limits on buy ins worth i can lose, how much money i shall win and how long in general i can spend on the site before it automatically boots me off the tabls and keeps me away for so many hours.  I also use this tool for deciding what things i can buy, how much to spend on eating out and going to the theatre.   Funnily enough, i also used Self Control to decide how big a house i could buy.  
  • edited June 2015
    Best of luck in the future. If I was you I would stay on sky and teach yourself to not look at your account balance. From seeing your diary you base how well you have done in a session based on profit/loss for the session. This is madness given the variance of poker. Over the medium term we need to be looking at how we are doing but not the short term.
    I think the games on stars will be very difficult but only time will tell about that.
    In terms of how quickly you could move up I think this is a common thing where people expect to win far more than they will. Poker isn't easy, it takes a lot of time on and off the table to make money.
  • edited June 2015
    Best of luck in the future. If I was you I would stay on sky and teach yourself to not look at your account balance. From seeing your diary you base how well you have done in a session based on profit/loss for the session. This is madness given the variance of poker. Over the medium term we need to be looking at how we are doing but not the short term. I think the games on stars will be very difficult but only time will tell about that. In terms of how quickly you could move up I think this is a common thing where people expect to win far more than they will. Poker isn't easy, it takes a lot of time on and off the table to make money.
    Posted by MattBates
    long term sky itself is going to be my main site, my thought into setting up this one is it can be used at points when i'm on a bad run at sky, i had already been using 888poker for a few years but i can't stand the lobby of that site.

the reason it's my main site for now is $300(£250) is waiting for me due to first time deposit.6000 points are needed over a 2 month cycle and i know i can gain this having got 7000 on average at sky.

edit:I did attempt to set up an account on fulltilt knowing how many pros are on pokrstars but my anti virous kept stopping the download.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: time to call an end : long term sky itself is going to be my main site, my thought into setting up this one is it can be used at points when i'm on a bad run at sky, i had already been using 888poker for a few years but i can't stand the lobby of that site. the reason it's my main site for now is $300(£250) is waiting for me due to first time deposit.6000 points are needed over a 2 month cycle and i know i can gain this having got 7000 on average at sky. edit:I did attempt to set up an account on fulltilt knowing how many pros are on pokrstars but my anti virous kept stopping the download.
    Posted by craigcu12
    From what I hear fulltilt is a lot more reggy than stars

Confused about your comparison between points earned on sky and what you need to earn on stars. Have you worked out how many hands/hours you need to play?
  • edited June 2015
    To be fair I'd guess there is some short-term benefits to swapping sites, if you think you will be a net winner of losing notes on players (ie if you are currently losing lots as a result of people having worked out how you play) - although obviously longer term you will need to work to fix this, or face losing on the new site you join.

Either way, the mental game / tilt is still going to be in need of fixing. 

When you're on your game Craig you are definitely one of the stronger players at micro-cash and will 100% win over the long term... even if you never quite migrate any higher than NL10/NL20... the only other thing is to remember not to over-complicate things at these low levels and don't attempt too many bluffs against players that just aren't thinking at that level themselves - although practice what I'm preaching here... not what I'm doing at the tables! :)

Hope whatever route you take next makes you happy, poker has to be about the fun first and foremost.  And fingers crossed you get to splash out on that big holiday... that'd be killing me to ever have a 4-figure bink and not have a holiday booked to go and enjoy the win in style!!!
  • edited June 2015
    I'll hopefully see you back on the tables sooner rather than later, good luck on the other sites.
  • edited June 2015
    Am I being naive but surely self control is the number one attribute you need to have before you play poker. Work on strategies all you like but if you dont have self control I wouldnt move on to the strategy stage.

Knowing when to fold and knowing when to stop.

If I had to rely on poker sites to restrict what I spend I would pack it in.

Ger (not meaning to sound harsh but its me strong opinion)
  • edited June 2015
    Am I being naive but surely self control is the number one attribute you need to have before you play poker. Work on strategies all you like but if you dont have self control I wouldnt move on to the strategy stage. Knowing when to fold and knowing when to stop. If I had to rely on poker sites to restrict what I spend I would pack it in. Ger (not meaning to sound harsh but its me strong opinion)
    Posted by gerardirl
    ditto

• edited June 2015
    As long the users asking you too stay are not the same ones who take you're money in cash games................. Skypoker needs its depositing players...

• edited June 2015
    stars is harder
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: time to call an end : Double or nothing is easy when working as a pair eh,
    Posted by pokermar28
    was going too say welcome too the forum but probably as well just saying bye...

return trip too the village booked?
  • edited June 2015
    As long the users asking you too stay are not the same ones who take you're money in cash games................. Skypoker needs its depositing players...
    Posted by pokermar28
    Craig is a winning player and a good player. I am trying to give him advice based on my experience. I don't play cash