You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Worst 3 days ever of bad beats, is it possible?

I understand varience, but OMG for the last 3 days I have lost almost every big pot with the best hand.
People have hit 2 outers on the river to beat my trips, and my over pairs so many times, it is unbelievable. They last guy called with ace 6 vs my qq on the turn( with a 6 on the board)  for £60 and caught a 6. i was a 92% fav, and that has happened hand after hand for the last 3 days. My top pair all in hits trips. My trips get busted by a higher set after all in on flop or turn, 
Is this site fixed or do some players just always get the bad end of the deal?
You cant use trscking software here, but if you could bring up the all in hands from the last 3 days it would be unreal. £400 down so far this month. 
I am interested to hear anyones thoughts, thease bad beats are getting me down.

Comments

• edited June 2015

Hi fi33er.

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time, but I'm afraid that's he very nature of poker - long runs of variance in either direction.

When we win, we think we have cracked the game, when we lose, we don't understand why.

I know you are keen to look back through the last 3 days - but it will not help one bit. It's like "rabbit-hunting" in Live Poker, it changes NOTHING except to make us feel worse.

You are creating negative energy, & burning positive energy, by looking back at a run of beats  it wont' help one bit, or change a thing. It rained yesterday, which was a bit of a nuisance, & totally unexpected. Nothing we can do about it though.

Don't look in the rear-view mirror mate, it won't help.

Concentrate on playing as well as you can, &, if time permits, try & improve your game by being self-critical. No living poker player in the history of ever ever ever has improved their game by pointing fingers or looking for excuses in the rear view mirror. We just need to be self-critical, & try to learn as we go along. Looking back & trying to understand or justify a run of beats is not EVER going to help.

Good luck, hope it soon swings the other way for you.

• edited June 2015
    Thank you Tikay10 for your reply. I was very frustrated when I wrote my post last night. Sorry for the spelling mistakes and I was only a 90% fav in that last hand. I will look at my play and try to improve it, (I did shove with Ace Queen suited for my last £20 after many sick ones, which I won vs King King which was bad play). It is so frustrating getting it in as a huge fav (80% or more) and losing, not once but time after time for 3 days watching your bank roll disappear. I've read the mind game of poker and it is useful, and your advice is good. It is frustrating when you play your best, get your money in best and lose constantly. 
    Good luck and thanks again,
    Merlin 

• edited June 2015
    Hi Merlin,

It is a headfeck when lady variance turns against you. I was on the receiving end for a 4-5 week period through April and May, same as you mention above... I had odd spots of bad play which I could go away and work to fix, but even without that the number of coolers and bad beats contributed 90% of the losses during this period.

I gave up playing nl20/nl30 games and dropped down to nl10... still got lots more bad variance but thankfully the bad beats seems to be on a hiatus over the last two weeks (don't want to say that too loudly, I don't want to jinx the upturn!!) - perhaps you should consider the same, get a bit of confidence back and then step back up again?

It sounds like there a few tilt losses in your game as well (easily done when you are already 5+ buy ins down for a day!!) so the lower level games may help mitigate losses while you try and get things to turn around. Removing the avoidable losses is really important to avoid exacerbating a bad run.

In total that period added a drop of about 50 buy ins for me... I'm almost certain that a good number of regs (better players than me!) have suffered as much or worse at some point... but although it looks huge in the short term, taking a look at the bigger picture (ie 100s of buy-ins up over a lifetime), it is a comparatively small drop in the ocean.

Whatever you choose I hope things pick up for you and, most importantly, you get back to enjoying your poker!

Good luck at the tables, 
    Mike
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Worst 3 days ever of bad beats, is it possible?:
    Thank you Tikay10 for your reply. I was very frustrated when I wrote my post last night. Sorry for the spelling mistakes and I was only a 90% fav in that last hand. I will look at my play and try to improve it, (I did shove with Ace Queen suited for my last £20 after many sick ones, which I won vs King King which was bad play). It is so frustrating getting it in as a huge fav (80% or more) and losing, not once but time after time for 3 days watching your bank roll disappear. I've read the mind game of poker and it is useful, and your advice is good. It is frustrating when you play your best, get your money in best and lose constantly.  Good luck and thanks again, Merlin 
    Posted by fi33er
    Thanks Merlin, top man you.

I do agree, it can be a very frustrating game indeed. It sometimes seems - in fact it sometimes IS - a very unfair game, too.

How lucky was A-9 man to beat our A-K? 3 outs & & he 2 of them. It's ridic.  But it's all in the maths. We are 70% to win. That's great - we could be millionaires within the year if we could get it in as 70% favourites all day every day. But 70% means A-9 gets to win 3 times in 10, & we must cut him some slack, as it's a small price to pay really. And we DEFINITELY want people to call us as 30% dogs.

Good luck, & I hope your fortunes change for the better soon.

• edited June 2015
    Thanks very much to both of you, I will take your sound advice on board Mike, at least there are sound people on here which helps when times are bad. Good luck to both of you,
    best wishes
    merlin
  • edited July 2015

What gets me is not getting a bad beat, it's getting ridiculous run of lucky play for you, followed by ridiculous run against you.

Sometimes you haven't even lost, but broken even in this way, but what a feckin waste of time and effort.

I understand that you can get lucky or unlucky in this game (we all do), but why does it so often seem to go in very obvious streaks where you are either one or the other all the flamin time!?!

I couldn't miss a top pair flop a little while back, now I miss almost every hand for 100's of hands in row...

Shouldn't it be a bit more mixed up of each rather than a streak?