You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can You Make A Profit?

edited July 2015 in The Poker Clinic

I love playing poker. I have been playing poker for a while now, I've read lots of books, I have lost lots of money on a few sites. I do win sometimes, but over all I am losing big time. I would like to actually turn a profit from playing (that's my retirement dream). I have made a profit for short periods but then I go back to losing. 
I know how to work out my outs and pot odds, and I understand some tactics of the game. 

I have made some friends on here (who are good regular players) and they have said my game has improved over the last 6 months. 
I am running pretty bad at the moment, but I'm sure everyone goes through that. 
I need some inspiration, obviously you can't win all the time, and if you are losing with the best hand you're just running bad, but is it possible to make money in the long run on online poker? 
Is it possible to run bad for a long time? (Like years?) 
Can anyone offer me some advice to help me improve my game, I don't want to be a loser any more!
Thank you very much, 
Fi33er

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Yes you can make a profit and yes you can make a living from poker. The hours required mean it becomes like a job and many struggle to stay motivated when it becomes a job and not a hobby. By the nature of it most players will lose £ from poker, that's not a bad thing for them if they are getting value for money from their enjoyment of playing. Its not an easy game to make money from, you need to work at your game and put a lot of hours into it to make money from it.

Regarding running bad, when a spell of running bad goes on for a while bad play has mixed in with the running bad. People are no longer playing optimally as they are scared of what cards will come out.

What sort of volume are you playing at the moment? A bad run can easily go on years if your volume is low.
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for your reply, its kind of you.
    I play more in the winter as I am a professional juggler/escapologist and I do shows in the summer season every day and most nights. 
    I was getting about £25 on the bonus thing each month, a few times in the winter I made it up to £45.
    On the new system I got £9 last week i think.
    I have had terrible luck this last week, but its ok. I have had some seriously bad bad beats and one after another after another, it seemed unreal.
    I waS LUCKY today and the board paired on the river after I had called an all in with my trips so i beat the guys straight (I had a 20% winning chance with 1 card to come and my card came)
    I think I should work on my game like you said, I feel that I have some holes in it, but generally my hand selection is pretty good. I need to improve on my flop play and learn to let hands go that are good but I think have been beaten.

I have loads of books on poker and have read them all and I am an intelligent person, I have always gambled and I am fed up with being a loser! 
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

best wishes
    merlin

• edited June 2015
    Avoid limping, if you want to enter a pot go in with a raise, it will make you less predictable.

When you are betting try and avoid mashing the pot button. Anywhere from 50%-2/3rd pot it good.

These 2 things will help you have an instant positive impact on your game.

• edited June 2015
    Also, as I've said to you before, you would be far better playing at the £10 tables, prove that you can win at that level, and when you can move up to £20 tables and so on.

Have a bankroll.

Say you have £300 in your account, this is a good b/r given the amount of tables you play. 30 Buy ins.

You're goal should be to turn that £300 into say £600(playing at 10nl), you then have 30 buy ins for 20nl. If you drop below £400 you can move down again. Rinse / Repeat.

• edited June 2015
    Hi Larson,
    Thanks for your good advice mate, I will take it on board and try limping less! You're a good guy cheers :)
  • edited June 2015
    If you're playing low stakes cash games (£30 buy-in or lower), you can rack up consistent profits by just being very disciplined.
    A strategy akin to this will serve you well:

Do not play hands out of position. 
    Do not call raises with AJ. 
    When it's checked round to you, throw that J9s in the bin. Throw almost ALL drawing hands in the bin. You won't hit and if you do you won't get paid.
    When in the small blind, you are either: i) folding ii) calling for a set mine iii) re-raising for value. NEVER do anything else.
    Don't be tempted by those Ax suited hands.
    Look for hands to fold, not hands to play.
    Do not play hands out of position (have I already mentioned that?)
    Do not over-estimate your opponents. Their bets mostly mean what they look like. Rarely are they running an elaborate bluff.
    Do not be tempted by those dodgy hands (78s but I have the pot odds!)
    Do not call river raises. 
    Fold to most river bets.
    A check-raise on the turn is the stone-cold nuts.
    Do not even consider getting it in on the flop with less than top two pair.
    Do not play hands out of position (have I mentioned this?)

I'm sure that others can add to this list.

• edited June 2015
    Thank you big Bluster,
    I appreciate your message, it makes a lot of sense.  I have only recently started to truely grasp the value of position.
    I did have a run of a few months over the winter where I played everyday for about 4 hours and I did turn a profit (only slight).  I was playing more or less along the lines you recommended.  Since then I have tried to improve my game and mix it up, not always check when I've missed for example and generally try to improve my play.  I feel I am playing better poker, but my results have gone down.
    I will go back to a more basic approach I think.

I have noticed a big hole in my game, I have played today for 4 hours I'm £45 down.  I lost £20 when i shoved on the flop with 15 outs (a q suited on k j 4 flop with 2 of my suit) and another £20 when I called a river shove with ak on a board of a k q 5 j.
    So pathetic to call on that board I know, I knew he had a straight on the river but I was so frustrated that I called. I should have shoved earlier in the hand or folded, but i had no hands for so long i was an idiot and couldn't let it go.
    that is how I lose most of my money. I play for hours and make a small amount playing well, then lose a big all in pot and I'm down for the day.
    Hopefully I can fix my leak.

Best of luck to you, and thank you very much
    merlin 

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Can You Make A Profit?:

I cant offer any better advice than what has been said already above me, I went from being a losing player to a break even player to a slightly winning player, and your story loks pretty similar to mine, the fact that your asking for help suggests you should be turning the corner any moment now.

The one piece of advice I would like to share is to look for reasons to fold.

Simple as that, dont be afraid to fold . Folding will save you a chunk of money, folding on an earlier street will save you costly mistakes on later streets. Whilst you are improving, being able to let go of worse hands earlier should mean that the hands you hang on to , leave you in a better place to be playing in your post flop game.

Look for a reason to fold, folding should be your new best friend.

• edited June 2015
    If you're playing low stakes cash games (£30 buy-in or lower), you can rack up consistent profits by just being very disciplined. A strategy akin to this will serve you well: Do not play hands out of position.  Do not call raises with AJ.  When it's checked round to you, throw that J9s in the bin. Throw almost ALL drawing hands in the bin. You won't hit and if you do you won't get paid. When in the small blind, you are either: i) folding ii) calling for a set mine iii) re-raising for value. NEVER do anything else. Don't be tempted by those Ax suited hands. Look for hands to fold, not hands to play. Do not play hands out of position (have I already mentioned that?) Do not over-estimate your opponents. Their bets mostly mean what they look like. Rarely are they running an elaborate bluff. Do not be tempted by those dodgy hands (78s but I have the pot odds!) Do not call river raises.  Fold to most river bets. A check-raise on the turn is the stone-cold nuts. Do not even consider getting it in on the flop with less than top two pair. Do not play hands out of position (have I mentioned this?) I'm sure that others can add to this list.
    Posted by BigBluster
    This makes me sad
  • edited June 2015
    Yes I will work on letting hands go, that is my biggest down fall. Thanks for the sound advice. Just had someone hit 1 of their 2 outs for a £40 pot and someone catch a card on the river to make 2 pairs and and beat me aces, £50 down after 10 minutes today. Can't wait to run good I will smash it! 
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Can You Make A Profit? : This makes me sad
    Posted by MattBates
    Me too.

If you're in position with no raises before you, these sort of hands (J9s/87s) are pretty mandatory opens from the button and quite often in the cutoff (depending on who is on the button).  The game of a decade ago where most oppos were playing every other hand and we could afford to sit and wait for absolute premiums are long gone.

Also not sure about folding AJ to an open (assuming I'm in position). Always seems to strong to fold or bluff (3b), as always its oppo dependent / position dependent, but I don't see calling with position being a bad option.  As is the case with other hands, just need to remember not to get tied to 1-pair hands if you get an A-high flop but the original raiser then bets pot on every street!

Always bet your hands when you hit something... very few oppos that will do the job for you.  And always try to find the fold button if you get raised at any point, unless you have pots of equity (eg AKs on JT2 flop to give gutshot, flush draw and possibly live overcards) or an absolute minimum of 2pr (although again player dependent, you should be keeping notes to know who are the absolute nits that will only ever do this with sets or stronger).

And its almost never the correct decision to slow play KK/AA pre-flop and try to trap.  Build the pot asap!

This thread should be a good read as it grows :)
  • edited June 2015

Fi33er
    Some very good advice here from notable names on sky that should stand you in good stead.

The most frustrating thing in poker for me is when you do something to achieve a win and you know in the back of your head that it is not a good thing. You know he has it and you call out of spite, or frustration.  or tilt.  Doing something stupid is my biggest tilt factor and drives me crazy. I know now what the signs are and I know the problem It took me a while to figure out the puzzle. My opponent is playing better than me or knows how I think about the game and can take advantage of me. Then I used to start playing more hand more loosely and more wildly. They had got to me.

Your issues are different because you play higher than me and you play passively ( Larson7 says ) and think about the issues that mean you don't win regular, what are the causes and how can I plug them. Lets ask someone what they think
    Poker is not about cards poker is about the fight to win the money in the middle. Sometimes the cards will play a part in this and sometimes they wont. Sometimes what you think of your opponent will let you win the pot because they are tight, knit or weak. But you are on the right road.
    Firstly just by reading your post I can tell you what your biggest issues are.

You think too short term about your results. I lost with aces etc I had top pair he had a straight. If you think lifetime about what you want to achieve in terms of growing as a player adding skills to your arsenal, becoming feared. understanding who I want to play with and who I need to be careful of. This is an on going project that will take you an immense amount of time but it is something worth doing if you love the game enough. If you love yourself enough then you are worth investing your time into improving and this should become your priority.

You are being too passive. This will be your second biggest leak. Being passive means you invite and encourage more people into the pot to beat you with junk or marginal holdings or with hands that cant stand a raise. Being more aggressive will initially put fear into people and make them more cautious but blind aggression can be your undoing. Understanding aggression and what you want to achieve with it , why , who where and when once you start to think like this then aggression will do amazing things for you. Aggression used properly will be you're best asset in poker but it is not a case of I raise so I push this button and now I'm aggressive think why have a reason.

Aggression is not about how much money I have tomorrow but being aggressive will make you a more successful player today tomorrow and in the future. More reasons to do it than not.

Have a plan. One of the most important things in poker. You have KK and raise and flop comes ace high . You have one pair top pair hand and he wants to put you all in. These are common ways of thinking but it goes deeper than that. You should be anticipating each player and their actions. If he calls and someone raises I should not call. If someone 3 bets and then there's a call I'm all in. Anticpate the players . Flops, you should be thinking of what flops are good for you , if they are not good for me are they good for villain. If I call what cards are good for me If I call out of the blinds with 99 and flop comes 6,7 j and he could well have overpair how much will it cost me to see turn and river. Will I be broke by then . How much of my stack will I put in on a flush draw or chasing cards. What are good bluffing cards from me what can I represent. Does my line tell a consistent story. Am I making sense if this cards comes and I start repping it . Why wont he fold. Why wont I fold. Why am I still bluffing. He knows I'm bluffing and I know and I keep doing it. Why? Think about your actions in terms of cash you are losing. Stop doing stuff that costs you money. I keep going in this shop when I get paid I play the fruity and leave with no wages. Unless your stupid you would not keep doing this cos you would have no food no roof and no way to get to work. Poker is no different it loves people who keep doing stupid things.
     Sky and Poker will always give you cards that connect in some way, keep you interested some of the time but how many times will I hit my draw, how many times will I go broke. Pot odds are fine but most people think 80% 20% equity AA v KK  four times out of five you win and won in five I lose. Flush draws 80% of the time you will lose chasing them. 4 times out of five you could be broke. This figure is ballpark and not accurate but I am trying to give you an alternative way of thinking about facts of poker and what they mean. On the flip side you have to be aggressive with draws. You have to be aggressive with draws and build pots otherwise you wont get value when you hit. There is always a reason to do something and then in some way there are always counter reasons or arguments for being careful when doing so. ( like aggression ).

Playing OOP. Out of position will be your biggest leak in poker. Discipline and understanding of why you should not be doing this. Master this and you are halfway to becoming successful. OOP will kill your profit and then you are signing up to do the most difficult thing in poker. Just because people can take advantage of your checks and have more information about the way you want play the hand. Poker money generally moves clockwise around a table and people who are oop are not getting their fare share of it. Then simple don't do it. Easier said than done because here is the counter argument. Unless you play OOP your ranges and your actions are predictable and exploitable.

Assigning ranges. If you get to the river with your one pair top pair hand and there is KQT on board and he puts you all in. Then he has you beat. His range is 85% straight and then sets or two pairs. If you know this then you are assigning ranges and should be doing this more often as soon as opponents enter hands with calls raises or checks, Their actions define their ranges and you should be thinking about this at all times.

Be conscious of this and work on this and it we be a factor in how well you do in poker and how quickly.

Bet sizes. What do they mean. These are very indicative of what they mean from certain players and are very reliable. People act very predictably and bet sizes can be very reliable of what their hand strength is or what they are trying to get you to understand. You know what strength is and you probably know when your gut tells you you are beat. Trust your gut
    Look at your bet sizes from the ten biggest hand you have won recently. Your bets tell a convincing story. Then look at the ten biggest pots you have lost recently and then look at the bet sizes of your opponents. What story are they telling you. There is information there that if you use properly and spend time understanding what they mean then you are less prone to fall for it next time.

So to summarise

1) Think differently about the game -  Think what can I achieve in a lifetime. NOT HOW MUCH DID I WIN THIS SESSION OR TODAY. OR WHAT HAVE I LOST THIS SESSION OR TODAY ETC.
    2) Being too passive - Aggression. You know this use it in the right way and have a reason. Don't just press raise button this is not autopilot. Think why. Best hand? Value? Bluff? Squeeze? Information? of should I just give my money away.
    3) PLAYING OOP - DOING THIS REGULARLY WILL COST YOU THE MOST AMOUNT OF MONEY EVER IN POKER. THINK SUICIDE. Think of reasons why I should not do it not just I should not do this.
    3) Have a plan - UNDERSTAND WHAT CAN HAPPEN AND THEN THINK WHAT WILL I LET HAPPEN. Situations occur again and again and again learn from them.
    4) Assigning RANGES - Will mean you lose less money and win more money. Getting someone to put loads in with the second best hand. Bingo. Losing less with the second best hand cos you think you know what he has Bingo.

Poker is A B C. Poker means different things to different people but understanding advice concepts is one thing. Learning what they mean learning how they work. Learning how you benefit from them. Learning how you make money from them. That is what you should be thinking about . What do they mean to me? PLAY THE SITUATION IS EVERYTHING I HAVE MENTIONED ABOVE. PLAYING THE SITUATION NOT THE CARDS NOT JUST THE PLAYER.

START TO DO THESE THINGS, LEARN FROM MISTAKES YOU MAKE. WATCH GOOD PLAYERS WATCH MATT BATES WATCH LARSON7. YOU CAN LEARN FROM THEM

Know comes the bad news. These are just guidelines to get you started on where you are going. Good players will gradually understand what you are doing. They don't play by these rules and they know how to take advantage of people who do. Matt Bates, Tommy D, RSPCA can play OOP all day long because they know how to lose less, they have the plan and they understand your aggression.  They expect you to do certain things.

If you can make them think and make them doubt themselves or analyse what they did wrong.  Now you are playing poker.

Good luck
    Danny

• edited June 2015
    Hey mate you got a lot good advice regrding BR and volume and you got it from good players on the site defo take it all on board.

Maybe you should post some hands in the clinic for example spots you may find yourself getting in and unsure what is the best way to play the hand, also post big pots winning/losing to see what others thoughts are in these spots don`t show the result though so you get a better response.

best of luck at tables bud

• edited June 2015
    Fi33er Some very good advice here from notable names on sky that should stand you in good stead. The most frustrating thing in poker for me is when you do something to achieve a win and you know in the back of your head that it is not a good thing. You know he has it and you call out of spite, or frustration.  or tilt.  Doing something stupid is my biggest tilt factor and drives me crazy. I know now what the signs are and I know the problem It took me a while to figure out the puzzle. My opponent is playing better than me or knows how I think about the game and can take advantage of me. Then I used to start playing more hand more loosely and more wildly. They had got to me. Your issues are different because you play higher than me and you play passively ( Larson7 says ) and think about the issues that mean you don't win regular, what are the causes and how can I plug them. Lets ask someone what they think Poker is not about cards poker is about the fight to win the money in the middle. Sometimes the cards will play a part in this and sometimes they wont. Sometimes what you think of your opponent will let you win the pot because they are tight, knit or weak. But you are on the right road. Firstly just by reading your post I can tell you what your biggest issues are. You think too short term about your results. I lost with aces etc I had top pair he had a straight. If you think lifetime about what you want to achieve in terms of growing as a player adding skills to your arsenal, becoming feared. understanding who I want to play with and who I need to be careful of. This is an on going project that will take you an immense amount of time but it is something worth doing if you love the game enough. If you love yourself enough then you are worth investing your time into improving and this should become your priority. You are being too passive. This will be your second biggest leak. Being passive means you invite and encourage more people into the pot to beat you with junk or marginal holdings or with hands that cant stand a raise. Being more aggressive will initially put fear into people and make them more cautious but blind aggression can be your undoing. Understanding aggression and what you want to achieve with it , why , who where and when once you start to think like this then aggression will do amazing things for you. Aggression used properly will be you're best asset in poker but it is not a case of I raise so I push this button and now I'm aggressive think why have a reason. Aggression is not about how much money I have tomorrow but being aggressive will make you a more successful player today tomorrow and in the future. More reasons to do it than not. Have a plan. One of the most important things in poker. You have KK and raise and flop comes ace high . You have one pair top pair hand and he wants to put you all in. These are common ways of thinking but it goes deeper than that. You should be anticipating each player and their actions. If he calls and someone raises I should not call. If someone 3 bets and then there's a call I'm all in. Anticpate the players . Flops, you should be thinking of what flops are good for you , if they are not good for me are they good for villain. If I call what cards are good for me If I call out of the blinds with 99 and flop comes 6,7 j and he could well have overpair how much will it cost me to see turn and river. Will I be broke by then . How much of my stack will I put in on a flush draw or chasing cards. What are good bluffing cards from me what can I represent. Does my line tell a consistent story. Am I making sense if this cards comes and I start repping it . Why wont he fold. Why wont I fold. Why am I still bluffing. He knows I'm bluffing and I know and I keep doing it. Why? Think about your actions in terms of cash you are losing. Stop doing stuff that costs you money. I keep going in this shop when I get paid I play the fruity and leave with no wages. Unless your stupid you would not keep doing this cos you would have no food no roof and no way to get to work. Poker is no different it loves people who keep doing stupid things.  Sky and Poker will always give you cards that connect in some way, keep you interested some of the time but how many times will I hit my draw, how many times will I go broke. Pot odds are fine but most people think 80% 20% equity AA v KK  four times out of five you win and won in five I lose. Flush draws 80% of the time you will lose chasing them. 4 times out of five you could be broke. This figure is ballpark and not accurate but I am trying to give you an alternative way of thinking about facts of poker and what they mean. On the flip side you have to be aggressive with draws. You have to be aggressive with draws and build pots otherwise you wont get value when you hit. There is always a reason to do something and then in some way there are always counter reasons or arguments for being careful when doing so. ( like aggression ). Playing OOP. Out of position will be your biggest leak in poker. Discipline and understanding of why you should not be doing this. Master this and you are halfway to becoming successful. OOP will kill your profit and then you are signing up to do the most difficult thing in poker. Just because people can take advantage of your checks and have more information about the way you want play the hand. Poker money generally moves clockwise around a table and people who are oop are not getting their fare share of it. Then simple don't do it. Easier said than done because here is the counter argument. Unless you play OOP your ranges and your actions are predictable and exploitable. Assigning ranges. If you get to the river with your one pair top pair hand and there is KQT on board and he puts you all in. Then he has you beat. His range is 85% straight and then sets or two pairs. If you know this then you are assigning ranges and should be doing this more often as soon as opponents enter hands with calls raises or checks, Their actions define their ranges and you should be thinking about this at all times. Be conscious of this and work on this and it we be a factor in how well you do in poker and how quickly. Bet sizes. What do they mean. These are very indicative of what they mean from certain players and are very reliable. People act very predictably and bet sizes can be very reliable of what their hand strength is or what they are trying to get you to understand. You know what strength is and you probably know when your gut tells you you are beat. Trust your gut Look at your bet sizes from the ten biggest hand you have won recently. Your bets tell a convincing story. Then look at the ten biggest pots you have lost recently and then look at the bet sizes of your opponents. What story are they telling you. There is information there that if you use properly and spend time understanding what they mean then you are less prone to fall for it next time. So to summarise    1) Think differently about the game -  Think what can I achieve in a lifetime. NOT HOW MUCH DID I WIN THIS SESSION OR TODAY. OR WHAT HAVE I LOST THIS SESSION OR TODAY ETC. 2) Being too passive - Aggression. You know this use it in the right way and have a reason. Don't just press raise button this is not autopilot. Think why. Best hand? Value? Bluff? Squeeze? Information? of should I just give my money away. 3) PLAYING OOP - DOING THIS REGULARLY WILL COST YOU THE MOST AMOUNT OF MONEY EVER IN POKER. THINK SUICIDE. Think of reasons why I should not do it not just I should not do this. 3) Have a plan - UNDERSTAND WHAT CAN HAPPEN AND THEN THINK WHAT WILL I LET HAPPEN. Situations occur again and again and again learn from them. 4) Assigning RANGES - Will mean you lose less money and win more money. Getting someone to put loads in with the second best hand. Bingo. Losing less with the second best hand cos you think you know what he has Bingo. Poker is A B C. Poker means different things to different people but understanding advice concepts is one thing. Learning what they mean learning how they work. Learning how you benefit from them. Learning how you make money from them. That is what you should be thinking about . What do they mean to me? PLAY THE SITUATION IS EVERYTHING I HAVE MENTIONED ABOVE. PLAYING THE SITUATION NOT THE CARDS NOT JUST THE PLAYER. START TO DO THESE THINGS, LEARN FROM MISTAKES YOU MAKE. WATCH GOOD PLAYERS WATCH MATT BATES WATCH LARSON7. YOU CAN LEARN FROM THEM Know comes the bad news. These are just guidelines to get you started on where you are going. Good players will gradually understand what you are doing. They don't play by these rules and they know how to take advantage of people who do. Matt Bates, Tommy D, RSPCA can play OOP all day long because they know how to lose less, they have the plan and they understand your aggression.  They expect you to do certain things. If you can make them think and make them doubt themselves or analyse what they did wrong.  Now you are playing poker. Good luck Danny
    Posted by mcglynn07
    cracking post this!
  • edited June 2015
    Hi Fi33er sorry to hear you are running bad. 

Just adding to what others have said basically. I have played with you quite a lot and i would say the biggest factor in improving your play would be to avoid limp/calling. If you have a hand you are wanting to play you should just open with a raise. You may only see it as a slight mistake or even not a mistake at all but when you are constantly limping in then calling a raise you are going to end up losing loads of small pots which will seriously damage your win-rate. 

My advise for now would be establishing a range of hands you are comfortable opening with. From the first two positions I would recommend a range as tight as 77+AK-A10,KQ,KJs etc. and always raising. Although tempting to play hands like K10,QJ,22-66 and medium Aces are tempting to play they can be tough to play profitably from these positions and this is where the problem occurs. You believe they are to strong to fold yet not strong enough raise with so you just call and look to see a flop. However it becomes very easy for players behind you to start targeting that limp and isolating you in position with a mixture of better hands as well as weaker hands (suited connectors etc.) and are able to play profitably down the streets vs you, mostly just C betting good flops etc. Also it becomes very easy to know when you have a big hand taking this line. For example if you are limp/calling pre then C/Raising flops etc. it is very difficult for you to get value even when you hit a huge hand as most regs will be able to read this and happily fold strong hands and only continue when they have you crushed. If you are dealt a hand like 33 UTG you are far better of just opening with a raise if you decide you want to play the hand as opposed to limp/calling however like I said for now I would recommend just folding these hands from the first two positions.

Now from the cut off and button I would recommend starting with the same thing and as you become more comfortable playing post flop etc. you want to start adding more hands to your opening range. From these two positions you really should be opening all pairs. Hands like A9,A5s,K10,QJ,J9s,87s, etc. can all be added to your range and that range can become wider and wider the more experienced you become but remember to always be raising with them. Just take notice of who is on the button and who is in the blinds and what type of players they are when opening from these positions.

Hope this adivce helps. Its very a very basic and stock piece of advice but i feel it will help you improve and get you back on track. Like with anything it not an exact science and you can adjust it a experiment as you go depending on the players you have at your table etc.  

Another thing I would recommend you do if you dont do already would be active in taking notes. Personally I use the colour codes to label the player type (green - TAG reg, purple - Loose/passive etc.) then write down the specifics within the note (3bet 65s from small blind vs cut off open) and this should help you with your decisions. 

GL! 

• edited June 2015
    Wow!
    Thank you very much to all of you for your posts, I really appreciate you giving up some of your table time to give me advice,  I will try and take it all on board.  The specific advice from you Curt is so true, I will be addressing those issues. Thank you.

Mcglynn i recon your post will be read and reread for years to come, full of great advice for any player at any level to improve from.

I will post again in a few months and who knows, if I can get half of what has been advised down I might make it!

All the best to all who have contributed, I hope Karma pays you back ten fold for your time and thoughts.
    Best wishes,
    merlin

• edited June 2015
    Hey mate you got a lot good advice regrding BR and volume and you got it from good players on the site defo take it all on board. Maybe you should post some hands in the clinic for example spots you may find yourself getting in and unsure what is the best way to play the hand, also post big pots winning/losing to see what others thoughts are in these spots don`t show the result though so you get a better response. best of luck at tables bud
    Posted by liamboi11
    Wow some fantastic responses to your thread Fi.

Defo do this as well, this will help a lot.

I'd post a few hands that were your biggest winning/ losing hands of the week.

Eventually, you want to look at the smaller pots, these hands are where most poker players win/ lose money.

Bigger hands are often coolers, but will still be a good starting points to look at. 

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Can You Make A Profit?: Cracking post, nice read 
    Fi33er Some very good advice here from notable names on sky that should stand you in good stead. The most frustrating thing in poker for me is when you do something to achieve a win and you know in the back of your head that it is not a good thing. You know he has it and you call out of spite, or frustration.  or tilt.  Doing something stupid is my biggest tilt factor and drives me crazy. I know now what the signs are and I know the problem It took me a while to figure out the puzzle. My opponent is playing better than me or knows how I think about the game and can take advantage of me. Then I used to start playing more hand more loosely and more wildly. They had got to me. Your issues are different because you play higher than me and you play passively ( Larson7 says ) and think about the issues that mean you don't win regular, what are the causes and how can I plug them. Lets ask someone what they think Poker is not about cards poker is about the fight to win the money in the middle. Sometimes the cards will play a part in this and sometimes they wont. Sometimes what you think of your opponent will let you win the pot because they are tight, knit or weak. But you are on the right road. Firstly just by reading your post I can tell you what your biggest issues are. You think too short term about your results. I lost with aces etc I had top pair he had a straight. If you think lifetime about what you want to achieve in terms of growing as a player adding skills to your arsenal, becoming feared. understanding who I want to play with and who I need to be careful of. This is an on going project that will take you an immense amount of time but it is something worth doing if you love the game enough. If you love yourself enough then you are worth investing your time into improving and this should become your priority. You are being too passive. This will be your second biggest leak. Being passive means you invite and encourage more people into the pot to beat you with junk or marginal holdings or with hands that cant stand a raise. Being more aggressive will initially put fear into people and make them more cautious but blind aggression can be your undoing. Understanding aggression and what you want to achieve with it , why , who where and when once you start to think like this then aggression will do amazing things for you. Aggression used properly will be you're best asset in poker but it is not a case of I raise so I push this button and now I'm aggressive think why have a reason. Aggression is not about how much money I have tomorrow but being aggressive will make you a more successful player today tomorrow and in the future. More reasons to do it than not. Have a plan. One of the most important things in poker. You have KK and raise and flop comes ace high . You have one pair top pair hand and he wants to put you all in. These are common ways of thinking but it goes deeper than that. You should be anticipating each player and their actions. If he calls and someone raises I should not call. If someone 3 bets and then there's a call I'm all in. Anticpate the players . Flops, you should be thinking of what flops are good for you , if they are not good for me are they good for villain. If I call what cards are good for me If I call out of the blinds with 99 and flop comes 6,7 j and he could well have overpair how much will it cost me to see turn and river. Will I be broke by then . How much of my stack will I put in on a flush draw or chasing cards. What are good bluffing cards from me what can I represent. Does my line tell a consistent story. Am I making sense if this cards comes and I start repping it . Why wont he fold. Why wont I fold. Why am I still bluffing. He knows I'm bluffing and I know and I keep doing it. Why? Think about your actions in terms of cash you are losing. Stop doing stuff that costs you money. I keep going in this shop when I get paid I play the fruity and leave with no wages. Unless your stupid you would not keep doing this cos you would have no food no roof and no way to get to work. Poker is no different it loves people who keep doing stupid things.  Sky and Poker will always give you cards that connect in some way, keep you interested some of the time but how many times will I hit my draw, how many times will I go broke. Pot odds are fine but most people think 80% 20% equity AA v KK  four times out of five you win and won in five I lose. Flush draws 80% of the time you will lose chasing them. 4 times out of five you could be broke. This figure is ballpark and not accurate but I am trying to give you an alternative way of thinking about facts of poker and what they mean. On the flip side you have to be aggressive with draws. You have to be aggressive with draws and build pots otherwise you wont get value when you hit. There is always a reason to do something and then in some way there are always counter reasons or arguments for being careful when doing so. ( like aggression ). Playing OOP. Out of position will be your biggest leak in poker. Discipline and understanding of why you should not be doing this. Master this and you are halfway to becoming successful. OOP will kill your profit and then you are signing up to do the most difficult thing in poker. Just because people can take advantage of your checks and have more information about the way you want play the hand. Poker money generally moves clockwise around a table and people who are oop are not getting their fare share of it. Then simple don't do it. Easier said than done because here is the counter argument. Unless you play OOP your ranges and your actions are predictable and exploitable. Assigning ranges. If you get to the river with your one pair top pair hand and there is KQT on board and he puts you all in. Then he has you beat. His range is 85% straight and then sets or two pairs. If you know this then you are assigning ranges and should be doing this more often as soon as opponents enter hands with calls raises or checks, Their actions define their ranges and you should be thinking about this at all times. Be conscious of this and work on this and it we be a factor in how well you do in poker and how quickly. Bet sizes. What do they mean. These are very indicative of what they mean from certain players and are very reliable. People act very predictably and bet sizes can be very reliable of what their hand strength is or what they are trying to get you to understand. You know what strength is and you probably know when your gut tells you you are beat. Trust your gut Look at your bet sizes from the ten biggest hand you have won recently. Your bets tell a convincing story. Then look at the ten biggest pots you have lost recently and then look at the bet sizes of your opponents. What story are they telling you. There is information there that if you use properly and spend time understanding what they mean then you are less prone to fall for it next time. So to summarise    1) Think differently about the game -  Think what can I achieve in a lifetime. NOT HOW MUCH DID I WIN THIS SESSION OR TODAY. OR WHAT HAVE I LOST THIS SESSION OR TODAY ETC. 2) Being too passive - Aggression. You know this use it in the right way and have a reason. Don't just press raise button this is not autopilot. Think why. Best hand? Value? Bluff? Squeeze? Information? of should I just give my money away. 3) PLAYING OOP - DOING THIS REGULARLY WILL COST YOU THE MOST AMOUNT OF MONEY EVER IN POKER. THINK SUICIDE. Think of reasons why I should not do it not just I should not do this. 3) Have a plan - UNDERSTAND WHAT CAN HAPPEN AND THEN THINK WHAT WILL I LET HAPPEN. Situations occur again and again and again learn from them. 4) Assigning RANGES - Will mean you lose less money and win more money. Getting someone to put loads in with the second best hand. Bingo. Losing less with the second best hand cos you think you know what he has Bingo. Poker is A B C. Poker means different things to different people but understanding advice concepts is one thing. Learning what they mean learning how they work. Learning how you benefit from them. Learning how you make money from them. That is what you should be thinking about . What do they mean to me? PLAY THE SITUATION IS EVERYTHING I HAVE MENTIONED ABOVE. PLAYING THE SITUATION NOT THE CARDS NOT JUST THE PLAYER. START TO DO THESE THINGS, LEARN FROM MISTAKES YOU MAKE. WATCH GOOD PLAYERS WATCH MATT BATES WATCH LARSON7. YOU CAN LEARN FROM THEM Know comes the bad news. These are just guidelines to get you started on where you are going. Good players will gradually understand what you are doing. They don't play by these rules and they know how to take advantage of people who do. Matt Bates, Tommy D, RSPCA can play OOP all day long because they know how to lose less, they have the plan and they understand your aggression.  They expect you to do certain things. If you can make them think and make them doubt themselves or analyse what they did wrong.  Now you are playing poker. Good luck Danny
    Posted by mcglynn07
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Can You Make A Profit?:
    I love playing poker. I have been playing poker for a while now, I've read lots of books, I have lost lots of money on a few sites. I do win sometimes, but over all I am losing big time. I would like to actually turn a profit from playing (that's my retirement dream). I have made a profit for short periods but then I go back to losing.  I know how to work out my outs and pot odds, and I understand some tactics of the game.  I have made some friends on here (who are good regular players) and they have said my game has improved over the last 6 months.  I am running pretty bad at the moment, but I'm sure everyone goes through that.  I need some inspiration, obviously you can't win all the time, and if you are losing with the best hand you're just running bad, but is it possible to make money in the long run on online poker?  Is it possible to run bad for a long time? (Like years?)  Can anyone offer me some advice to help me improve my game, I don't want to be a loser any more! Thank you very much,  Fi33er
    Posted by fi33er
    Fi££er   LOL

Cheers for the comments. We are here to learn from each other and from mistakes we make. Being able to identify patterns, weaknesses and leaks and stopping them is how we improve. How quickly you learn and apply them dictates what level you play at so potentially there is a lot at stake. Just changing the angle you look at something from or other people's perspectives can make massive swings in your game in the right direction. The more we spend time doing poker but not at the table will also dictate our learning rate.  
    Good luck
    Danny

• edited June 2015
    You have some very good advice on here fi33er from at least 3 solid regs if not more, you were asking about variance, here is a blog from a random guy to give you an idea. http://www.thegreatgrind.com/2014/05/16/what-ive-learnt-playing-500000-hands-of-online-cash-game-poker/ bare in mind its full ring though not 6max!
  • edited July 2015
    ^^ that was a pretty good read actually, shows just how much this game can mess with your head no matter how well you might play!

Merlin - if you're still reading this, I think you nailed one of the biggest things last night.  Table selection.

You've been playing long enough now to spot the best players at your level.  Just avoid them as best you can and try to sit to the right of weaker looking players... people you rarely see, who don't have a full £20 buy in or look like they are limping into lots of pots.  No-one really wins when all the regs sit together (except Sky) so give yourself a better chance of winning and just don't sit with more than 1-2 reg names at your table.

If you are the 6th best player in the world, but sit at a 6-max table with the 5 best players, you're still going to be a loser!

Pick easy tables.  Consider more time at NL10 (there are more easy players than regs comapred to nl20). Then slowly build in the playing advice from this thread and you'll be bossing it in no time :)

• edited July 2015
    If you're playing low stakes cash games (£30 buy-in or lower), you can rack up consistent profits by just being very disciplined. A strategy akin to this will serve you well: Do not play hands out of position.  Do not call raises with AJ.  When it's checked round to you, throw that J9s in the bin. Throw almost ALL drawing hands in the bin. You won't hit and if you do you won't get paid. When in the small blind, you are either: i) folding ii) calling for a set mine iii) re-raising for value. NEVER do anything else. Don't be tempted by those Ax suited hands. Look for hands to fold, not hands to play. Do not play hands out of position (have I already mentioned that?) Do not over-estimate your opponents. Their bets mostly mean what they look like. Rarely are they running an elaborate bluff. Do not be tempted by those dodgy hands (78s but I have the pot odds!) Do not call river raises.  Fold to most river bets. A check-raise on the turn is the stone-cold nuts. Do not even consider getting it in on the flop with less than top two pair. Do not play hands out of position (have I mentioned this?) I'm sure that others can add to this list.
    Posted by BigBluster

jeez..... I,d love to play you heads up:)
  • edited July 2015
    Hey guys,

Just a quick thank you to all of you who posted, It has made a massive improvement to my game, I am up this month £98, and I am playing a much better game.  I came 2nd in a bounty hunter a few nigthts ago as well, so thank you!!
    When I am a pro I will fremember all of yopu who helped me grow.

Good luck

merlin
  • edited July 2015
    Thanks for update Fi33er..Stay focused
  • edited July 2015
    Thanks for update Fi33er..Stay focused
    Posted by mumsie
    Fi££er
    Great to hear that you ar enjoying the game and making improvements and that the money is flowing in your direction.
    As Mumsie says please keep us posted.
    Good luck and hope you run good.
    Regards
    Danny
  • edited July 2015
    Hey guys, Just a quick thank you to all of you who posted, It has made a massive improvement to my game, I am up this month £98, and I am playing a much better game.  I came 2nd in a bounty hunter a few nigthts ago as well, so thank you!! When I am a pro I will fremember all of yopu who helped me grow. Good luck merlin
    Posted by fi33er
    good on you bud keep up the good work :)

also if you ever want opinion on hands or any advice send me a pm, you have always been a gentleman at tables when i`ve played with you so I like to see the good guys win.