You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

'A yeast based spread'

edited June 2015 in Poker Chat

In the recent WSOP that Orford and Channing did, Neil described Phil Hellmuth as bit like 'a yeast based spread, you love him or you loathe him'.

See here for more on that but in the meantime...

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Yep.
    His record is exceptional and despite some of his 'entertaining' on-table antics, he seems to be a real classy bloke off the tables.
  • edited June 2015
    14 bracelets.

Nuff said.
  • edited June 2015
    There should be an other option yes and no.

Can only admire his record.

But the brattish rants leave me cold.

Like many people my age I first got interested in NL holdem via Late Night Poker. While at first the characters like Devlifish/Jackarama etc stood out, I remember being in awe when Phil came over and totally beat up the opposition and also had the front to tell people what they were on before either making a good fold or call or making a bet he know they couldn't call.

I can also remember seeing the other side when he went on a rant on the same show when bust.

Would have hoped he would have learned some humility by now and become a better ambassador for the game that has served him so well.
  • edited June 2015
    I like watching him blow up.
  • edited June 2015
    Respect his record, hate his table demeanour.

Even in this years WSOP he was having a go at the dealer when it was Heads Up. I'm sure it was designed to try and unsettle his opponent, in much the same way John McEnroe's tennis rants were in the 80s.

He's been allowed to get away with stuff that other players would have got a penalty for, for years.

Not everyone is a fan of those with the greatest records, see Alex Ferguson for another recent example, so I've voted no.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: 'A yeast based spread':
    I like watching him blow up.
    Posted by Sky_Dan

I do when its another pro who has beaten him up in a hand e.g. couple of times he has lost it with Antonio Esfandiari and I know they can take it and are most probably enjoying it too.

However totally unforgiveable when it's an amateur who should be having the time of their life mixing in that company, or a dealer who is just doing their (relatively low paid) job.

• edited June 2015
    Reminds me of overpaid prima-donna footballers.
    Yes they may very skilled in their job, but diving/cheating and abusing refs is just not on.
  • edited June 2015
    his actions speak louder than his words,yes he can be a ***k but what a player
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: 'A yeast based spread' : I do when its another pro who has beaten him up in a hand e.g. couple of times he has lost it with Antonio Esfandiari and I know they can take it and are most probably enjoying it too. However totally unforgiveable when it's an amateur who should be having the time of their life mixing in that company, or a dealer who is just doing their (relatively low paid) job.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Yeah, granted. There are some epic blow-ups on High Stakes Poker, think it's the first season. He gets taken apart!
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: 'A yeast based spread' : Yeah, granted. There are some epic blow-ups on High Stakes Poker, think it's the first season. He gets taken apart!
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    I like the vids with Norm doing the comm .. circa 2008 .. "Meltdown in 3...2...1"
    I don't agree with picking on ams, or dealers, but he does seem very different off the table. Not entirely sure why the difference...

• edited June 2015
    Yes.

All the famous poker brat behaviour is put on for TV in my opinion. Apparently when the cameras aren't running he's as much a gentleman at the table as he is off.

He's great for the game. The biggest personality in poker. His incredible record speaks for itself.
  • edited June 2015
    9 ball corner pocket.
  • edited June 2015
    Can i add Helen from Big Brother :):):):) would take Hellmuth any day than HELEN,Wait put them in a game together, Now that would be fun, Invite to both sky poker on your new channel lol xxx