You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pockets Jacks OOP / Blinds in Bounty Hunter. Thoughts please? Any help given appreciated cheers

edited June 2015 in The Poker Clinic
wolley Fold     
KAEBESS Fold     
beavis12 Fold     
rodney147 Call  40.00 100.00 1755.00
mcglynn07 Raise  140.00 240.00 2660.00
luckme002 Fold     
rodney147 Call  120.00 360.00 1635.00
Flop

• A

mcglynn07 Check     
rodney147 Check     
Turn

• A

mcglynn07 Bet  180.00 540.00 2480.00
rodney147 Raise  400.00 940.00 1235.00
mcglynn07 Call  220.00 1160.00 2260.00
River

mcglynn07 Check     
rodney147 All-in  1235.00 2395.00 0.00
mcglynn07 Call  1235.00 3630.00 1025.00
mcglynn07 Show
  • J
  • J

rodney147 Show    
Early Stages of Bounty Hunter    
Villain seems standard and tight

3 bet pre to define my range

check ace high flop

bet when second ace comes get check raised and call

flush river card, no straight, paired board get jammed on after what I thought was my value bet

any thoughts please

Thanks
Danny

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Don't think you 3b pre? It's fine anyway. Have no idea why you want to define your range

I b/f flop generally, but c/c ok

C/c turn as played I fold to the raise readless

River idk think it's a fold when flush gets there, I might call when I call turn though

• edited June 2015
    Bet the flop I think.

As played, probably pass to the turn raise. Though if we call, we should probably call off almost all rivers. Not too fussed about the flush coming in due to how the hand has played out.

Could argue raising a tad more pre.
  • edited June 2015
    Caveat the post below - I'm a nit.

But the guy has limp/called pre with position then willing to go broke post flop.

22/77/A-rag (inc A2/A7) must make up a pretty sizeable part of his range here once he starts betting heavily?

Only other reason would seem to be that he figured your pre-flop raise and checking A-high as you having a decent pocket pair that was a bit scared of the Ace. But when you call his turn raise I'm not sure a standard-tight player will then bomb the river as a bluff.

I think I bet like 200-220 on the flop for value & protection, but am out of there as soon as villain starts betting. Save my chips, it's early days in the tourni, doesn't seem worth going busto with 2nd pair. Plus if this guy is limping lots and we have position on him, there's a good chance we'll take his chips later on anyway.
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Pockets Jacks OOP / Blinds in Bounty Hunter. Thoughts please? Any help given appreciated cheers:
    Bet the flop I think. As played, probably pass to the turn raise. Though if we call, we should probably call off almost all rivers. Not too fussed about the flush coming in due to how the hand has played out. Could argue raising a tad more pre.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks guys for the thoughts.
    I did not see many aces in his range preflop that would call a raise pre and then not bet on the flop when I checked to him   I think he would bet his flush draws on the flop and his sets due to flush draw and his two pair hand like a7 or a2. When he does not bet and ace comes on turn I feel like my hand is good. So I bet and now he raises me which at the time feels like a fold bet then I thought it is easy for you to rep that card but not betting it on the flop does not add up. I know you have something but it has not been good enough to raise me preflop or on the flop. He must be concerned that I could have an ace surely. My range looks more ace heavy than his. And then the flush completes a paired board on river. Again it seems like a hand he could represent and it would be for most of my stack. I hate a check here on river cos it seems like thin value. So I value bet and get shoved on. At first I think it's a fold It feels like a fold because he seems tight  and I have a second best hand maybe. But the one deciding factor that made me call was my equity of top two versus a flush with what was in the middle and what it was to call I would be making a mistake to fold for the remaining part of my stack. He turned his hand into a bluff and showed two sixes. I breathed a sigh if relief but thinking back after certain actions clarified what he had. This is why this post is here to help with the thought process during the hand that narrows and cancels out ( possibly and maybe) parts of his range and lets me get to a sensible decision on the river.  Thinking now the only hands that make any sense that could play this way are AA and a paint flush draw. The best bit about this is to get someone to put all their chips in when they are drawing dead. It was a good bluff though and his play was right.
    Thanks
    Danny
    Danny
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Pockets Jacks OOP / Blinds in Bounty Hunter. Thoughts please? Any help given appreciated cheers:
    Bet the flop I think. As played, probably pass to the turn raise. Though if we call, we should probably call off almost all rivers. Not too fussed about the flush coming in due to how the hand has played out. Could argue raising a tad more pre.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Thanks guys for the thoughts.
    I did not see many aces in his range preflop that would call a raise pre and then not bet on the flop when I checked to him   I think he would bet his flush draws on the flop and his sets due to flush draw and his two pair hand like a7 or a2. When he does not bet and ace comes on turn I feel like my hand is good. So I bet and now he raises me which at the time feels like a fold bet then I thought it is easy for you to rep that card but not betting it on the flop does not add up. I know you have something but it has not been good enough to raise me preflop or on the flop. He must be concerned that I could have an ace surely. My range looks more ace heavy than his. And then the flush completes a paired board on river. Again it seems like a hand he could represent and it would be for most of my stack. I hate a check here on river cos it seems like thin value. So I value bet and get shoved on. At first I think it's a fold It feels like a fold because he seems tight  and I have a second best hand maybe. But the one deciding factor that made me call was my equity of top two versus a flush with what was in the middle and what it was to call I would be making a mistake to fold for the remaining part of my stack. He turned his hand into a bluff and showed two sixes. I breathed a sigh if relief but thinking back after certain actions clarified what he had. This is why this post is here to help with the thought process during the hand that narrows and cancels out ( possibly and maybe) parts of his range and lets me get to a sensible decision on the river.  Thinking now the only hands that make any sense that could play this way are AA and a paint flush draw. The best bit about this is to get someone to put all their chips in when they are drawing dead. It was a good bluff though and his play was right.
    Thanks
    Danny
    Danny
  • edited June 2015
    Always Ace rag 
  • edited June 2015
    Caveat the post below - I'm a nit. But the guy has limp/called pre with position then willing to go broke post flop. 22/77/A-rag (inc A2/A7) must make up a pretty sizeable part of his range here once he starts betting heavily? Only other reason would seem to be that he figured your pre-flop raise and checking A-high as you having a decent pocket pair that was a bit scared of the Ace. But when you call his turn raise I'm not sure a standard-tight player will then bomb the river as a bluff. I think I bet like 200-220 on the flop for value & protection, but am out of there as soon as villain starts betting. Save my chips, it's early days in the tourni, doesn't seem worth going busto with 2nd pair. Plus if this guy is limping lots and we have position on him, there's a good chance we'll take his chips later on anyway.
    Posted by shakinaces
    Shakin, Thank for the reply.
    Thinking about it 77 and 22 and A2 and A7 are probably more in his range thinking about how he played the hand. Hit a set and check is deceptive and tight players would follow that line hoping I have an ace & on turn have trips. He has a house now with those four hands and raising it on the turn is a pretty good play. Bombing the river after I bet is again a house line but I think I went with it because I did not know him and the equity and initially I felt fear but after he showed aggression on turn and river I just thought those cards are very easy for you to rep big and get me to fold and jacks are the ideal hand for me to fold. His position on me also played a factor in me calling.
    I'm trying to understand the grey area more when people bet with their chips to tell a story and can be convincing but just want a fold and bring out the hammer. You have to be able to do that to some extent to 2 barrel bluff it all off but I have seen this advice from a guy called Jamie Sykes were in the spot I explained where we raise pre check flop with ace high and then the board changed from ace high with a flush draw to river paired board w flush and my hand looks like what it could be. 2 Pair at best. The amount of backdoor aggression you can apply to someone in that spot and get a lot of folds is something worth looking into. I guess I would say the guy is a thinking player to be able to turn his hand into a bluff
    like that and I think it's a good play whether it works or not.
    Just being able to spot the signs were it does not feel real 100% is what is most important from this rather than the outcome of the hand.
    Good luck
    Danny 

• edited June 2015

Just guessing, but if you ran this hand 100 times vs a random, they'll show up with either Ax or 77/22 maybe 80% of the time.

Limp call the button, check through the flop and then raise you on the turn.....

But I do like the call on the river after calling the turn raise. It's one thing to think 'I'm calling any river' and another thing to actually do it for what is a big %age of your stack.

• edited June 2015
    Just guessing, but if you ran this hand 100 times vs a random, they'll show up with either Ax or 77/22 maybe 80% of the time. Limp call the button, check through the flop and then raise you on the turn..... But I do like the call on the river after calling the turn raise. It's one thing to think 'I'm calling any river' and another thing to actually do it for what is a big %age of your stack.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    hhyftrftdr thanks for the comments

agree with your thoughts on the range I am up against, do you think the check on the flop gives a clue to him not having sets with a flush draw present , he could be playing deceptive but that was one thing I thought up quickly in moment when I check the ace flop and he does not bet, If I were him I would want to be putting something in there if I had a set vs a blind who has raised pre and must call me for at least one street unless I have air?
  • edited June 2015
    You're thinking about the game the right way OP. If the story doesn't add up then it's often prudent to call but you have to also remember that not a lot of players are particularly bluffy. So even tho a line doesn't make a lot of sense you have to weigh that with the likelihood that they could be bluffing.

I think turn is close - but I think calling is OK. Yes, he could have been trapping with a set or have weak Ax but he might be trying to make a move enough of the time for calling to be OK. When river comes and he ships then I think we can rule out weak Ax hands because he would have to be expecting us to always be calling with 88-KK for his shove to be profitable. So basically he's repping 77, 22 or a flush. 77 prob raises pre (people tend to limp with 22-66 and raise 77 and better) and is a flush really going to check flop then raise turn? Probably not. So 22 is by far the most likely hand we are beat by. Even his sets bet flop some of the time tho.

Counter-acting this - again, not many players make bluffs for their whole tournament. Lots of players will make stabs or moves OTT and then decide to give up OTR. But we don't really know enough about our opponent and given we're not beat by many hands I like your reasoning and subsequent call OTR. The diamond actually makes calling easier/better too - I think on a non-flush card villain would be more likely to ship Ax plus he'd also be less likely to ship bluffs since none of the draws got there.

• edited June 2015
    Thanks for the reply. Thinking now 22 makes more sense than 77 like you said as 77 prob raise pre. I discounted any ace as would you jam any ace when flush hits river. You could vb and fold to my check raise shove but then I am only betting sets flushes and houses. The only time it felt scary and a fold was on the turn when check raised as those moves indicate strength a lot of the time. I think my hand is defined when I check the ace high flop after raising pre but bet when second one appears on turn. I got it wrong in post and checked river and feel even happier now.   Good luck to you.