You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Blinding out… Live

edited July 2015 in The Poker Clinic
I've recently started playing live events at my local Genting - have tonnes of fun and have run deep in a few tournaments.

Only problem is, in most - I'm blinding out as soon as the blinds reach over 800/400 (from a 3k starting stack).

Even when I have a massive amount of chips, I always end up just getting bullied and blinded out of the game.

So essentially, what tips would you have? I think it's mainly a mental thing. I'm thinking that to call 800 is a big call, let alone a PFR, but in reality it's the same portion of my stack as a 100 chip BB early on in the tournament - so I guess thinking of your stack as an amount of BB, rather than an actual figure.

But other than that, what tips would you have!?

Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Blinding out… Live:
    I've recently started playing live events at my local Genting - have tonnes of fun and have run deep in a few tournaments. Only problem is, in most - I'm blinding out as soon as the blinds reach over 800/400 (from a 3k starting stack). Even when I have a massive amount of chips, I always end up just getting bullied and blinded out of the game. So essentially, what tips would you have? I think it's mainly a mental thing. I'm thinking that to call 800 is a big call, let alone a PFR, but in reality it's the same portion of my stack as a 100 chip BB early on in the tournament - so I guess thinking of your stack as an amount of BB, rather than an actual figure. But other than that, what tips would you have!? Thanks
    Posted by Shakeylake
    one thing id advise to do is take a look at the position of the guy raising you and bullying you, is he raising from an early position (UTG or UTG +1) or are they late position raisers that are only raising after everyone else has folded? if its the later you maybe need to work or your 3 bet shove range once your down to between 15-20BB and if you can see its specificly doing it to you time after time you would probably want to be even wider. if ive got a 15 BB stack in BB and the raise is from the button id probably 3 bet shove any suited ace, AK -A8os aswell as kq-k9s, Kq- K10os, QJ-Q10s and QJos for each position early the raise comes from you would want to tighten up that range.

another thing to take from your post is if your getting into the position when ur running low on blinds (anything lower than 20BB) you dont really want to be calling in that position it should be a case of shoving, 3 betting, or folding nothing else in my opinion.

the benifits to both of those plays mentioned above is not only will people fold to your 3 bets and shoves and you'll pick up some chips but it will make them and anyone else to do it to you the next time around and you mightjust pick up a walk or two and gain a couple of extra BB that way.

hope that helped, but im by no means a MTT expert so you may want to check back and see if anyone else more experienced replies
  • edited June 2015
    thought about this again earlier, and realised i forgot to say that pocket pairs above 5/6's should be shoved /3bet here also
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks for the comments - I feel that my 3-bet and shoving range and my general play when I'm down below 15BB is actually OK. 

That's generally been my saving grace and I've really lucked into the money due to that. 

My main problem is starting the shorter, higher blind levels from 80-100BBs and then getting blinded down to 10-20 relatively quickly as I'm just getting scared by the blind levels. 
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Blinding out… Live:
    You have to accept that it is a function of tournaments that being card dead will mean you shove with the best hand and get called by lesser hands but bigger stacks. You need to stop thinking of your chip stack as something to protect when your late on in a tournament when you could creep in to the money. You need to look at is as something to invest and grow and build late on and give your self a chance to actually win it or make a deep run. Thinking about sitting and waiting for cards is ok if you are mega deep stacked but the reality is that as stacks get shallower your range needs to widen purely because you cant wait for premium spots and if you do you'll either get super short or busted with the best hand sometimes. As blinds get higher you need to get more active. It is not intuitive and goes against the way we are thought to learn and think about the game. But it is what pro's do well. A big tip I can give you is to start re-stealing when late on in tournaments. The theory is that if you have a tighter image and someone three bets ( active players ) you then you can 4bet/jam shove a very wide range of hands including and ace any king , any suited connectors, any pair now that is a lot more options and with the blinds in the pot plus the raise included you don't have to get too many folds to remain healthy and still give yourself a chance of remaining in the tournament. Second tip. Winning poker tournaments. Winning chips is not solely about having the nuts and getting paid. Stealing chips is how you remain alive and relevant in tournaments. Small select pressure. Constant. Always asking questions. Always being the aggressor but in different sizes and different spots. So the two are linked but one is putting all your chips in the pot in one go with a hand or half a hand to steal and the other is small portions of your stack at selective points and using your ammunition well when in earlier stages of the tournament.
    Good luck Danny