You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Table Balancing

I just wanted to ask if there was any criteria for balancing tables or whether it was completely random? I have no evidence to support this but it seems to me that there is a large percentage of the time where 4 or 5 of the top 6 stacks will be sat at the same table, and short stacks grouped too. Not even when there is only 2 tables to go but sometimes further out than that.

This probably sounds like I'm bitter about something but I am genuinely interested as to whether it is random. It's not something I have thought about much when playing on other sites but it has happened often enough since I've played here for me to notice it. Perhaps it is because we always play 6 max or maybe it's just me being silly. 

Comments

• edited July 2015
    In Response to Table Balancing:
    I just wanted to ask if there was any criteria for balancing tables or whether it was completely random? I have no evidence to support this but it seems to me that there is a large percentage of the time where 4 or 5 of the top 6 stacks will be sat at the same table, and short stacks grouped too. Not even when there is only 2 tables to go but sometimes further out than that. This probably sounds like I'm bitter about something but I am genuinely interested as to whether it is random. It's not something I have thought about much when playing on other sites but it has happened often enough since I've played here for me to notice it. Perhaps it is because we always play 6 max or maybe it's just me being silly. 
    Posted by Poker_Wolf
     Hi Wolf,

I don't think for a moment you are being "silly", & I've no idea how they balance tables. I'd be reasonably confident it is random though. Put that another way, turn it upside down - why would it NOT be random?

Over the long term, there is no advantage or disadvantage to players or the site to mess around with these things.

Do you single table, or multi-table?

• edited July 2015
    Hi wolf

Sometimes, because it is random then this makes random events seem like they are not random. 

For there never to be all the big stacks on one table or very rarely the software would have to split them making it not random, but thus seemingly to us is random. Hope that makes sense.

• edited July 2015
    In Bounty Hunters it does not seem random at all.

I am always moved to a table where other players stacks are about equal or greater.
    Sometimes I have like 1k left and I am thrown in with the lions with 10k stacks and more.

Of course they all up the anti to make me fold or jump in and hope.
    But I look down the list of players still in and there are plenty with smaller stacks than me.

Random it is not, otherwise you would land on a table with massivly varying stacks
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Table Balancing:
    In Bounty Hunters it does not seem random at all. I am always moved to a table where other players stacks are about equal or greater. Sometimes I have like 1k left and I am thrown in with the lions with 10k stacks and more. Of course they all up the anti to make me fold or jump in and hope. But I look down the list of players still in and there are plenty with smaller stacks than me. Random it is not, otherwise you would land on a table with massivly varying stacks
    Posted by Goody_Ace
    lol ok. 
  • edited July 2015
    I would definately have to say that it is random. I play thousands of tournaments a year on sky, most of which are bounty hunters, and the big/small stack ratios are always vaired at all point in the tournament, including during the final few tables.
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Table Balancing:
    In Bounty Hunters it does not seem random at all. I am always moved to a table where other players stacks are about equal or greater. Sometimes I have like 1k left and I am thrown in with the lions with 10k stacks and more. Of course they all up the anti to make me fold or jump in and hope. But I look down the list of players still in and there are plenty with smaller stacks than me. Random it is not, otherwise you would land on a table with massivly varying stacks
    Posted by Goody_Ace
    I think you need to look up the definition of 'random' in the dictionary.
  • edited July 2015
    The table balancing is definitely completely random, there is no reason why it wouldn't be.
    In theory we're more likely to get moved to stacked tables than shallow ones as usually we get moved to tables where players have recently busted so the players remaining at the table have more chips.