You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Broke.........

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
After a very honest br ..... then going bust after very poor br management and poor play i guess i am trying to rebuild and basically start again. at highs i had played 10-20£ on here altho br defo suggested i shouldnt have been, i have had months where i was in profit nearly every session near enough but after going broke and restearting i am really struggling with playing 5-10p which i should be with my br. i just cant help getting sucked into playing higher tables. ive tried just playing stgs lately. would appreciate advise or if any1 has been in a similar situation and has overcome the dreaded BROKE term. many thanks

Comments

• edited January 2010
    If you were playing the NL2000 cash games then Your bankroll for that consistently would have been close to £100k ;)

Start small, play to win the game consistently as the money is only relative.
  • edited January 2010
    yeah i know and it wasnt half that, my issue is that im struggling to play so low where i have played with every1 that regularly plays high stakes cash. so should i just stick to stgs to build my br. dunno if its a confidence thing to. but i seem to make terrible decisions now, no doubt becoz im playing out of my br again. just curious to see if any1 has been in a similar situation for advise. no doubt the gambler in me is affecting my state of mind and what stakes i choose to sit at.
  • edited January 2010

People highlight BR management as the ley to not ging broke, this is obvious, but not to the extremes I read about all the time.

I went bust bout 4 years ago (it wasnt a big sum, but it was a good 3/4 months work gone in 1 night)

The key to not doing it sounds obvious, but its to play better. When I went broke, I decided to deposit, and sit at 3 different cash tables on another site, having enough to cover a rebuy at each table. I sat there all day, and played tighter than tight! Aces Kings Queens Jacks, AKs. - Took my game completely back to basics, abc, best hands only, no messin on the button, no calling, just standard strong raises with strong hands.

I garentee this is a winning strategy, it aint half boring like. Anyway, as I started to win more, I read Harrington on cash games (the only book iv ever read) and started to play more hands, and show some game. Went from 1 extreme to the other, (loose maniac) then settled on something inbetween. (still trying to find that happy medium) lol

Theres 2 ways to do it, start low and work hard grinding your way up, or deposit a sufficient br to play at the level you think you are best suited to. (500 quid for NL40 sounds about right to me - although most others will strongly say thats not enough)

GL, DOHH
  • edited January 2010
    okay thanks for your input dohhhhh. unfortunely i am not in a situation to put 500 on :( just 200 br. and have been playing 22£ dym's (before any1 says, i know that is not a big enough br) hence my thread. as you prob understand dohhhhh recovering from broke and restarting from scratch is prob the hardest thing a poker player will have to do. hopefully most wont have to try. but i am struggling big time.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Broke.........:
    People highlight BR management as the ley to not ging broke, this is obvious, but not to the extremes I read about all the time. I went bust bout 4 years ago (it wasnt a big sum, but it was a good 3/4 months work gone in 1 night) The key to not doing it sounds obvious, but its to play better. When I went broke, I decided to deposit, and sit at 3 different cash tables on another site, having enough to cover a rebuy at each table. I sat there all day, and played tighter than tight! Aces Kings Queens Jacks, AKs. - Took my game completely back to basics, abc, best hands only, no messin on the button, no calling, just standard strong raises with strong hands. I garentee this is a winning strategy, it aint half boring like. Anyway, as I started to win more, I read Harrington on cash games (the only book iv ever read) and started to play more hands, and show some game. Went from 1 extreme to the other, (loose maniac) then settled on something inbetween. (still trying to find that happy medium) lol Theres 2 ways to do it, start low and work hard grinding your way up, or deposit a sufficient br to play at the level you think you are best suited to. (500 quid for NL40 sounds about right to me - although most others will strongly say thats not enough) GL, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    if your playing super tight i think 10 buyins is enough, if you mix it up a bit then the 20 buyin rule, good advice by DOHHHHHH yes its boring but you cant really go wrong, with 200 quid id play super tight nl20 and wouldnt bother with the DYMs
  • edited January 2010

Unless you rely on poker as an income which 99.9% of players dont. The golden rule is dont play with what you cant afford to lose. So if you want to play in a certain game and you can afford it just do it. There seems to be a lot of people on here recently trying to sound clever talking about bankroll management, only use 5% etc etc.

Poker should be fun, now go and enjoy yourselves.

• edited January 2010
    Unless you rely on poker as an income which 99.9% of players dont. The golden rule is dont play with what you cant afford to lose. So if you want to play in a certain game and you can afford it just do it. There seems to be a lot of people on here recently trying to sound clever talking about bankroll management, only use 5% etc etc. Poker should be fun, now go and enjoy yourselves.
    Posted by ajs4385
    +1

leave proper b/r management to the pros
  • edited January 2010
    Unless you rely on poker as an income which 99.9% of players dont. The golden rule is dont play with what you cant afford to lose. So if you want to play in a certain game and you can afford it just do it. There seems to be a lot of people on here recently trying to sound clever talking about bankroll management, only use 5% etc etc. Poker should be fun, now go and enjoy yourselves.
    Posted by ajs4385
    Why is a 20 buyin rule trying to sound clever? It's not clever, its smart management of your money. If you can afford 20+ buyins of something then go play it and by all means have fun, if you can only afford one or a few shots at something then you're just gambling and you will more than likely (if you continue to do so) end up broke. Fact. Otherwise we wouldn't be having people post threads entitled "Broke...."
  • edited January 2010
    okay thanks for your input dohhhhh. unfortunely i am not in a situation to put 500 on :( just 200 br. and have been playing 22£ dym's (before any1 says, i know that is not a big enough br) hence my thread. as you prob understand dohhhhh recovering from broke and restarting from scratch is prob the hardest thing a poker player will have to do. hopefully most wont have to try. but i am struggling big time.
    Posted by AceAceBaby
    hi mate you are not "broke" you have £200!
    if you mean you dont have enough to play with the "big boys" that a different matter.you can play a lot of poker for £200 it just depends how you see yourself,(part time/full time pro) (fun player who wants to win/keep head above water) etc.my bankroll is usually stagnant at a set amount be cause if i get a decent win i withdraw about three quarters of it and spend the rest.then i dont go over a certain level and always have a bit behind to play with,,
    good luck,dave
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Broke......... : Why is a 20 buyin rule trying to sound clever? It's not clever, its smart management of your money. If you can afford 20+ buyins of something then go play it and by all means have fun, if you can only afford one or a few shots at something then you're just gambling and you will more than likely (if you continue to do so) end up broke. Fact. Otherwise we wouldn't be having people post threads entitled "Broke...."
    Posted by Deadluck
    Poker is gambling and its fun, yes if the only reason you play poker is to make money then yes you need proper bankroll management. However, 99% of poker players play to have fun and thats how it should be. e.g. If I have £20 to play poker with on a night do you really think I am only risking £1 at a time, thats boring, I am more than likely going to buy in to a game for £10 and having a second chance. Then whatever is left I will buy into a big game and try and earn some proper cash. If I lose my £20 I have had a good game and enjoyed myself if I come off with some cash thats a bonus.

All am saying is poker should be fun, I was just commenting on amount of people on here recently talking like there next phil ivey.
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by ajs4385
    i agree poker should be fun, but it is a game and most people play games to win and if you want to win at poker BR management is great advice, if you just want to play for the crack of it then play freerolls!!!! and dont give me the old ITS the TAKING PART THAT MATTERS speach, games are there to be won if you dont care about the winning then poker aint the game for you
  • edited January 2010
    well basically when i was doing well and br was high i quit my day job to play more. but soon found out the added presure and playing through out the day was alot harder than playing for fun. all the posts have been good, im gteatfull for people's opinions. i think obviously i should start trying to enjoy the game rather than worry about my br but also play lower so my decisions aren't effected buy the thought of losing a big pot. anyway thanks :)
  • edited January 2010
    Imagine you have been sent to prison.  Solitary confinement.  You are in a cell with a laptop and £200 in a poker account.
    Your jailers say, when that bankroll reaches £5k, you can go free.  If you bust it all, you stay in jail til you die.

You will soon work out good brm
  • edited January 2010
    haha looks like my destiny is to rot in jail :)
  • edited January 2010
    Imagine you have been sent to prison.  Solitary confinement.  You are in a cell with a laptop and £200 in a poker account. Your jailers say, when that bankroll reaches £5k, you can go free.  If you bust it all, you stay in jail til you die. You will soon work out good brm
    Posted by OMahonyO
    That's an interesting way of looking at it lol.
  • edited September 2010
    There's quite a big grey area between someone who decides to spend £20 on a couple of poker tournies instead of going to the pub, and a Pro, AJS.
    My personal opinion is that anyone who takes the game serious, wants to make money and has aims to move up in the stakes needs to have some kind of money management.

Fair enough, if you decide to play poker with £20 instead of going to the pub and spending it, by all means sit down at a couple of 10 quid tourney tables, but if you want to play every day and you want to improve as a player, be smart and get a bankroll that will allow you to play everyday without constantly taking money out of your bank account.  

Salazar (a none pro with a bankroll)
  • edited January 2010
    You firstly have to figure out that you WILL go bust unless you play within your BR limits.  Unless of course you have a massive spin-up and decide to give poker up for good and live off yr winnings :)  If you can afford to replenish then playing outside yr BR can be OK but is still foolish as your longterm prospects are grim.

Once you realize BRM is key you have to find a way of implementing it.  For some this is nigh impossible.  Maybe setting yrself a challenge is the way to go..... keep accurate stats on yourself and make a graph of your winnings...... it's not always exciting to see your 200 has turned into 227 over the space of a week but if you can see an upward line on a graph it's more encouraging and keeps you focussed.

You have to forget about the amounts and just keep focussed on the results.  Keep track of graph, bbper100 at your level....how many buyins you have...... when to move up.......whn to take a shot.......  etc etc...

If you focus solely on amount won you'll only find excitement by winning big, which will inevitably see you busto.

Only you can change your strategy.... you've made the 1st step by recognizing yr faults.... now go change em :)
  • edited January 2010
    much apreciated advise mate :) gonna start at low limit and withhold the temptation of big £ tables untill im comfortable at that level and the br to support myself when making big calls and big moves ect. also gl total player mate, very tough groups. really good to see the regular cash players involved and also the ovas that i wasnt familiar with untill total player. exciting viewing to :)
  • edited January 2010

It's frustrating to play the lower tables when you know you can play the higher ones. If you want to take it seriously and make some money then don't let someone stop you. It might take a while using bankroll management but anyone can achieve anything in this game so just back yourself.

However as one that has spun up small bankrolls before if you don't get a couple of breaks then you just end up not enjoying the game. If you're not enjoying it then theres no point!

• edited January 2010
    Totally agree with salazar and cottlad.  It is still sensible to have a certain amount of brm even if you are not making a living from it.

I dont, and have no delusions about making a living from poker, and to be honest with you I dont think I would want to.  Dont reckon I could take the stress of that being my only income.

I have been `busto` quite a few times though, which obv isnt the end of the world, as I have a job, but I was beginning to feel like a right mug redepositing, so decided on strict brm (which goes out the window from time to time beered up).

My problem is the opposite, in that I kept needing to withdraw bits of my roll to fund other things that really I should have financed from my wages.  Crimbo, birthdays, car MOT etc.  Because of this I reckon ive hindered myself taking next level shots.  When I do I hit a wall every time so maybe not such a bad thing.

Reckon your in a better position aceacebaby as you have experience of those levels and you will prob know how to change ur game as you progress.

If I had £200 I would be playing nl10.  You could obv crush that but you might lose quite a few buyins re adjusting your game to fit in line with that level.

From my exp on here, there is a huge difference between nl20 and nl50.  Just cant crack nl50,

gl anyway and i think i will try to avoid you at nl20 if poss
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for your post omahonyo, i also suffered that prob when high bankroll. taking money of for car and hols ect. brm is harder than i thought, well thats bit wrong to say really as ive never really had brm. hopefully fresh start for me. gl if you do attempt to move up if not see you on tables soon :P
  • edited January 2010
    This is an excellent thread with a lot of good advice thrown in for free but basically i think it all comes down to what you want out of playing poker.Ihave to say to AceAceBaby the fact that you are thinking about your br management means you are already making progress as a poker player and i have no doubt you will crack it if you keep analysing what you are doing wrong.
  • edited January 2010
    cheers spike ive never had brm and thats affected my poker life so far i think. sucked going broke but hopefully i can control myself abit better in the future. once im started which will be fri 29th as gotta put br back on this site i will try keep people posted on the other thread BUILD BR like some people have been doing. thanks for all the posts and advise. all possitive posts :)
  • edited January 2010
    it depends on ur mentality

if you want to take a shot do it, if you think your game is good enough for £5-£10 e.t.c do it

there is little point you tackling a grind at 0.05-0.10 if you cant adapt /respect the game down there,

i guarantee if your a recreational player after a few sessions of grinding you will be bored at that level.

"I garentee this is a winning strategy, it aint half boring like"

dohhhhhhhhhhhh this may well have been a winning strategy a few years back but it certainly isnt now especially on the 6 handed tables here
  • edited January 2010
    Hi ace long time no speak mate i remember playing with you in the early days on this site.I even remember you saying you were sat with your whole roll on a cash table on more than one occasion back then lol some things don't change ;-) take these people's advice mate.
  • edited January 2010
    hi mate year the crazy days were good, low standards and running like god are long gone :) looking foward to the challenge of building br. ive sorted of started this thread as a back up plan. coz now ill just look stupid playing higher tables! so with my dignity in tact and small br i will try build :) nice to hear from you neway mate, hope ur okay and poker is going well. take care
  • edited January 2010
    hi mate year the crazy days were good, low standards and running like god are long gone :) looking foward to the challenge of building br. ive sorted of started this thread as a back up plan. coz now ill just look stupid playing higher tables! so with my dignity in tact and small br i will try build :) nice to hear from you neway mate, hope ur okay and poker is going well. take care
    Posted by AceAceBaby
    Yeah it was fun like picking money up off the floor at one time i remember a game we played on £1.50-3 not sure if it was you or cottlad anyway there was that donk who lost about 12 full buy ins in under 2 hours.That was my best day game in a cash as i caught 3 of them :-).I don't play on here much at the moment but if i see you on a highstake cash game anytime soon i will give you a verbal beat down via the chatbox :-) GL with the challenge mate take care.
  • edited January 2010
    lol they were the days, i was prob the donk you are talking about whilst tilting :P best memories of early days is my JJ vs kegsys AA AJ2 flop all in after flop 700 pot and rivered a J :) rem him stating in chat box when turn was a 6 please no jack lol. neway gl mate, im gonna start using sky as my main account again as community is so much better than ova sites. take care
  • edited January 2010
    This thread is one of the reasons I love hanging around on here. Loads of insightful comments; loads of advice; and a whole boat-load of honesty.

Thanks guys, I've learned a lot from this.
  • edited January 2010
    Interesting thread.
    I've only been playing for about 5 months now. Have had to deposit again this month after busting. Only play 2p/4p and the occasional tourney. Since New Year have had a bad run - some bad play by me and some bad beats (last night had pocket kings, raised pre flop, flop was a 6 pair (2 clubs). Bet the pot, "villan" goes all in I call. He shows 2 3 (one club) and turn and river also clubs so I bust out.
    Anyway I digress, is it best to take time off and build the bank roll up to 3 figures (not including the decimal point!) or is it best to play only occasionally while building it up "to keep my eye in"?
    I'm not playing to earn a wage from it, just for fun, but it's not fun at the moment.