You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Negreanu

edited July 2015 in Poker Chat
Currently in 9th place with 27 remaining in the main event.
Good for the game if he finals or even wins?

I'm a bit mixed with it
He sounds very good when doing interviews. Intelligent, Clean living 
But
I remember the unpleasant personal attack of Annie Duke plus some other unsavoury incidents at the tables

What you think?

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Of course, would be the best thing for the game. He's done so much for the game, he's also a very friendly and a nicely mannered person, very down to earth. Much better he wins, then some random who dissappears into obsolete. He would also be very entertaininng to watch on the FT
  • edited July 2015
    Undoubtedly good for him to Final Table. It could be Moneymaker 2 for effect.

He speaks his mind, including when he disagrees with someone-you don't get to be that good without making some enemies along the way.
  • edited July 2015
    Definitely good for the game! Would love for him to go on & win it! 

I know the odds were pretty terrible pre-tournament, but I bet a few bookies are sweating!
  • edited July 2015
    Not sure if it would be as good for the game as people think, youd only know him if you already was into poker so doubt it will get loads of new faces in.

Moneymaker was a completely different story, he was an average joe who got into the main event for a cheap amount and actually ended up beating all the professionals to win millions. So whenpeople heard the story they thought "oh that could be me winning that".

Dont think it will make headline news that an already multi millionaire poker pro wins the world championship, but it i hope he does make the final he is good for TV and will make it more interesting to watch.
  • edited July 2015
    Definitely want him to FT and I am sure the TV rights owners would want that too.

I really enjoy following the progress of the WSOP (thanks Skypoker and FCHD) but unless I actually knew a player, or there was a Brit to cheer, or a character like DN I don't think I would bother watching a highlight show never mind a live stream of the November 9.

One thing fir sure if DN won he would be a positive ambassador for the game - as Tikay says, consummate professional, never turns down an interview. Of how many other top pros can the same be said? I didn't actually like some of what DN said - he seemed quite dismissive of the lower buy-in triple 7's and colossus events, yet for the masses of recs that fuel the poker food chain that is exactly the sort of event that is good for the WSOP and the game. I do accept they should be the exception rather than the rule though.

Agree or disagree (and I do both with DN) give the guy credit for

1. putting his opinion out there
    2. being an entertaining watch
    3. being pretty handy at the game and someone you can learn from

I don't think anything would achieve a moneymaker2 effect in terms of online rec qualifier winning the big one inspiring a generation to give it a go. Maybe a 21/22 year old superkid might inspire a younger generation to get into poker?
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Negreanu:
    Not sure if it would be as good for the game as people think, youd only know him if you already was into poker so doubt it will get loads of new faces in. Moneymaker was a completely different story, he was an average joe who got into the main event for a cheap amount and actually ended up beating all the professionals to win millions. So whenpeople heard the story they thought "oh that could be me winning that". Dont think it will make headline news that an already multi millionaire poker pro wins the world championship, but it i hope he does make the final he is good for TV and will make it more interesting to watch.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    Yeah no for sure you cant compare it to money maker. Totally different scenarios, It would be more of a romantic story, Daniel Negreanu is the epitamy of a succesfuly Poker Player, he's popular, lives his life to the max, social guy. Arguably the most well known player. Not one of them pasty pale grinders, tucked away in his room all day. The odds are still stacked against him, but heck, i really hope he does it. It would create a big buzz within the Poker community if he made it.
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Negreanu:
    In Response to Re: Negreanu : Yeah no for sure you cant compare it to money maker. Totally different scenarios, It would be more of a romantic story, Daniel Negreanu is the epitamy of a succesfuly Poker Player, he's popular, lives his life to the max, social guy. Arguably the most well known player. Not one of them pasty pale grinders, tucked away in his room all day. The odds are still stacked against him, but heck, i really hope he does it. It would create a big buzz within the Poker community if he made it.
    Posted by alex1229
    Yeah totally agree, i do admire his energy to play these long tournaments and still keep chirpy and entertain people. I like his chances because he is probably the richest player left in the field so the money jumps wont be as much as a factor and the closer it comes to the bigger money he can pile on the pressure.
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Negreanu:
    Currently in 9th place with 27 remaining in the main event. Good for the game if he finals or even wins? I'm a bit mixed with it He sounds very good when doing interviews. Intelligent, Clean living  But I remember the unpleasant personal attack of Annie Duke plus some other unsavoury incidents at the tables What you think?
    Posted by Jac35
    Never heard of the Annie Duke thing and thought it's surprising because he doesn't seem like that type of guy at all. Read up a bit about it and it seems Annie Duke is probably the one to blame for it - any nice person can turn angry if they get constant abuse from someone.

I hope he makes the FT, would be cool if he went on to win it.

• edited July 2015
    yeah
    Kid poker or a poker kid to win
    I'd take DN anytime

• edited July 2015
    There is a pretty interesting story that was going on between Negreanu and Justin Schwartz (stealthmunk on twitter) a few days before the main event involving a 100k heads up PLO game and some sort of weight loss challenge.  Somehow both are still left in and on the same table i think.
    I'm sure the espn coverage will feature both quite heavily as Stealthmunk is a controversial figure and the polar opposite to Negreanus Mr nice guy table presence.
  • edited July 2015
    Its all relative now but im in 2 minds about it because he has made more money than every other poker player alive and so maybe a new guy just starting out that needs the money more would be a better person to win.But on the other hand i do think daniels a good ambassador for poker and if he won it could only be good for poker but like i say its all relative now oh well daniel theres always next year