You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tough spot deep in Micromillions event 3 ($3.30 6Max)

edited July 2015 in Poker Chat
Around 600 runners left from 29000(ish)

$9000 up top! 
Current pay out around $20.

Blinds 4k/8k ante 1k

i was first act with my stack of 635k

I have AdKd, i open to 18k

Villain on my left has 545k (who has been 3 betting my opens quite often and has shown bluffs a couple of times)

Villain 3bets to 32k (quite small in my eyes)

i 4bet to 120k

and the villain takes a little time to decide to 5bet shove.

now im instantly in the tank, im around a coin flip to any pair other than AA / KK

if i win the flip i go to second in chips with over a milly

if i lose drop below 100k and realistically out within he next couple of hands.

Am i wrong to eventually call in this spot or should i be laying AdKd down and waiting for a better spot to earn chips?

Any help appreciated!!

Comments

• edited July 2015
    You should probably know what your plan of action is when you 4bet.

It's hard to say, and you'll get better advice from others, but my initial reaction is that you probably shouldn't be tangling too much with someone who can really damage you. To raise utg and then 4bet an utg+1 3bet is really strong, and the villain still wants to put his stack in. You might be up against QQ, you might be crushed. Going 2nd now would be nice but realistically you've still got 600 people left to battle through, so it doesn't boost your chances of winning or FT'ing too much.
    Might be inclined to just peel the small 3bet, keeps us nicely under-repped when we flop well, and we can just let him bluff away if he has previous for that stuff.

• edited July 2015
    Instacall on Stars...
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Tough spot deep in Micromillions event 3 ($3.30 6Max):
    You should probably know what your plan of action is when you 4bet. It's hard to say, and you'll get better advice from others, but my initial reaction is that you probably shouldn't be tangling too much with someone who can really damage you. To raise utg and then 4bet an utg+1 3bet is really strong, and the villain still wants to put his stack in. You might be up against QQ, you might be crushed. Going 2nd now would be nice but realistically you've still got 600 people left to battle through, so it doesn't boost your chances of winning or FT'ing too much. Might be inclined to just peel the small 3bet, keeps us nicely under-repped when we flop well, and we can just let him bluff away if he has previous for that stuff.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

in the end the villain did have QQ after a sweat on the two diamond flop i couldnt improve.

but like you said maybe if i just peel i can always shut down without losing a massive proportion of my stack.

looking back now i definitely agree that going second at this point would not have put me in a great spot to take it down or FT as there is still a long, long way to go. 

always good to get someone elses opinion as it will make me think differently in similar spots

thanks

• edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Tough spot deep in Micromillions event 3 ($3.30 6Max):
    You should probably know what your plan of action is when you 4bet. It's hard to say, and you'll get better advice from others, but my initial reaction is that you probably shouldn't be tangling too much with someone who can really damage you. To raise utg and then 4bet an utg+1 3bet is really strong, and the villain still wants to put his stack in. You might be up against QQ, you might be crushed. Going 2nd now would be nice but realistically you've still got 600 people left to battle through, so it doesn't boost your chances of winning or FT'ing too much. Might be inclined to just peel the small 3bet, keeps us nicely under-repped when we flop well, and we can just let him bluff away if he has previous for that stuff.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

in the end the villain did have QQ after a sweat on the two diamond flop i couldnt improve.

but like you said maybe if i just peel i can always shut down without losing a massive proportion of my stack.

looking back now i definitely agree that going second at this point would not have put me in a great spot to take it down or FT as there is still a long, long way to go. 

always good to get someone elses opinion as it will make me think differently in similar spots

thanks

• edited July 2015

First of all thanks for posting Steven and welcome to Sky...lots of people ask me questions that are way too long to answer on Twitter and I always send them here but it's pretty rare that they actually log-in and ask the question.

I thought I'd let others comment as often there is no "right" answer to these things and it's good to get a few views and have a discussion.

This one may not be so tough though. I think it's been solved.

When you have 68bbs (the effective stack or the minimum anyone in the pot has) you are really very deep and it would be wrong to put all your money in with hands like AQ or 1010 or worse as you will run into a better hand too often. I wouldn't advocate passing KK or AA in this spot ever so you are left with AK, JJ and QQ as the "tricky" hands with the stack sizes. I personally would never be too happy getting that much in with any of the three hands but table dynamic and knowledge of the players might mean I sometimes would.

As played you are getting around 1.25/1 in a spot where you are probably either that price or really screwed but I would say, just in case they are just totally mental you have to call.

I think the answer given by hhyftrftdr is pretty spot on though. I never really ever 4-bet unless I know what I want to happen and generally I'll do it with a very polarised range. That is to say that sometimes I'll 4-bet with 7d5d where I can fold easily if they shove and I have no tough decision and I'll 4-bet with KK where I will snap-call if they shove. I generally never want to 4-bet with a hand that I'll be groaning inside with if they shove...1010, JJ and sometimes even QQ will fit into that group and when I'm short stacked then AK will too.

AK is of course a very strong hand but it's real strength in tournaments is when you can be the final aggressor. If you shove on someone with AK and they fold 88 then not only did you win the money in there but you avoided a coin-flip. You gave yourself two chances to win which is ultimately the secret to the game. If you just call their shove then you are calling hoping to be in a flip and that isn't winning poker.

Hope all that helps.

• edited July 2015
    I guess i had a similar situation a couple of months back. (NChanning, would be great for a opinion to) Did think if this was the right move for a while, assumed it to be (probably not so right reading what NC has said above)

Was in the SCOOP Sunday Milli, 2 day event. 8000 runners through to the the 2nd day with around 40 left. 1st place pays $250k current pay out posistion just over $3k. 

Say blinds are 25k/50k i have 1.5m chips. 

UTG (big stack) raises to 100k i'm UTG +1 with AKs. I just flat call, short stack shoves (300k) which is why i just flatted to entice that move. 

Button then shoves all in for 1.7m, so he had me covered. UTG folds. It's on me, i have 10 SECONDS to act! (used my timebank, so basically had no time left) Literally my opinion over what i should do swayed around 50 times during those 10 secs. I knew he didnt have AA/KK as you wouldnt just flat out shove, and he has shoved a fair bit already, so i wouldnt say he the tightest guy at the table  - that's about all i had to go off.

What would you do?