You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Feeling Frustrated? Bad Week/Month/Year? == Giving Back ==

edited July 2015 in Poker Chat
Hey guys, I'm sure a few of you will recognise me, but for those of you who don't, my name's Patrick and I grind SNGs/MTTs. I've had a ton of ups and downs over my time playing, struggled with various aspects of the game, but tend to hold my own. 

Notable ups include:

3rd in £110 Roller
Won (and came 2nd) in the £6,000 rebuy main
Won a $1 rush rebuy on another site for $3.7k

I mainly grind DYMs and have done so profitably (Pre rakeback) for some time. I can be a bit of a keyboard warrior at times, and often come across as though I have my head up my own a**. I feel as though its about time I gave something back. I want to offer 2 or 3 players 30 minutes of coaching via skype for free. We can talk about anything you want, from ICM spots, pre-flop ranges, post flop play (lol as if I know any), calling ranges, deep tourament play, life, university, women (more of a joke, but I always say that in every joke there's a half truth haha). 

I'm 22, just finishing my masters in Strategic Marketing and Consulting from University of Birmingham. Oh and I'm aware people will probably laugh at the prospect of getting coaching from a washed up DYM grinder. But I feel as though I have a ton of experience, and have often just simply made things difficult for myself. If someone offered me a fraction of the knowledge I know now beforehand, I'd be in a completely different place poker wise. 

TL:DR

Long time grinder
Can be a d***
Has experience
Wants to offer coaching

Comments

• edited July 2015
    That's nice of you to offer this. Know my poker needs work to it but i dont know if I would change it at the minute. Plus those who know me on the tables would be saying OMG! and running for the hills am sure. It's nice to pay it forward.
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Feeling Frustrated? Bad Week/Month/Year? == Giving Back ==:
    That's nice of you to offer this. Know my poker needs work to it but i dont know if I would change it at the minute. Plus those who know me on the tables would be saying OMG! and running for the hills am sure. It's nice to pay it forward.
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Thanks for taking the time to reply angel. I've found that I often need to hear something from another person and it resonate within me for some time before I can value from it. On a rare occasion I get a 'wow' moment too! Happy to help if you do decide to chat.  
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Feeling Frustrated? Bad Week/Month/Year? == Giving Back == : Thanks for taking the time to reply angel. I've found that I often need to hear something from another person and it resonate within me for some time before I can value from it. On a rare occasion I get a 'wow' moment too! Happy to help if you do decide to chat.  
    Posted by patwalshh

Have got the memory of a fish at minute so coaching would be no good............lol ask me what hand I played the hand before and i aint got a clue. But hey that's just me. Keep on paying it forward and good things will come your way.
  • edited July 2015

That's a cracking post Pat, well done.

There's a little too much "me me me" in poker for my liking these days, but between all that, there are occasional shafts of people being selfless.

It's fashionable to have a grumble about poker, Sky Poker, freerolls, or whatever, but if we all said to ourselves - as you clearly have - "ask not what poker can do for me, but what I can do for poker", things would soon improve. A little giving, a little effort to promote our game, help those less fortunate, do some good, goes a very long way. Helping others really is a very satisfying thing to do.

Keyboard Warrior? Yup, you can be at times, I know that. But you mean well, you just come across wrong at times, a little abrupt, maybe, sometimes the written word needs wrapping up a little. 

One of THE nicest guys I know (you know him, too) can't help himself when he gets online, & he got himself (deservedly) chat-banned. He just does not realise that he comes across so badly. I've tried a dozen or more times to get him unbanned. In real life, in the flesh, you'd go a long way to meet a nicer, more genuine bloke.  The problem for Sky Poker is they are a volume business, & don't really have time to do A Level Social Interaction imo.

Lovely post, Pat, & karma will make note.  
  • edited July 2015
    I really appreciate the kind words so far, thank you. I've heard back from one person privately who wants to take me up. 

My approach to the 30 minutes would be something along the lines of talking about a certain area of weakness and discussing a situation in which such a weakness may arise. Compare thought processes within the given scenario. I have a fairly competent selective memory, so I feel as though I could relate a lot of specific situations to various areas you feel as though you can improve.

• edited July 2015
    A lovely offer yes, but I don't think any amount of coaching will help me considering all the bad beats I've been experiencing lately.  Left final table last night with AA yet again, to 95 off, go figure.   Oh and 78 off is a killer, think I'm going to start folding AA and going all in with 78 like many others seem to be doing, certainly paying off for them.
  • edited July 2015
    I really appreciate the kind words so far, thank you. I've heard back from one person privately who wants to take me up.  My approach to the 30 minutes would be something along the lines of talking about a certain area of weakness and discussing a situation in which such a weakness may arise. Compare thought processes within the given scenario. I have a fairly competent selective memory, so I feel as though I could relate a lot of specific situations to various areas you feel as though you can improve.
    Posted by patwalshh
    Keyboard warrior? hahaha love it.....if you need any help with the written word then don't hesitate to contact me. It's so hard when you type things as the meaning is lost as there is no emotion behind it, basically it's flat, and is easily misconstrued. There are ways of putting things across without coming across as seeming aggro. Good luck and wish you well with it :)

Paying it forward always. :)
  • edited July 2015
    Top guy. Got a lot of time for this.
  • edited July 2015
    Hi Pat,very nice offer of yours. I knowyour a very established strong player.

Im surprised the replies are not flooding in or maybe they are by private or perhaps people dont realise how good this offer is.

It doesnt suit me to be skyping to be honest with kids etc....but if I was single id jump at this chance as I'd be interested to hear your views on Holdem dym.

Let us know how the coaching goes.

Ger
  • edited July 2015
    Appreciate the kind words! Still offering this for one or two more.

Results for SNGs excluding heads up
  • edited July 2015
    Good work Pat I'm sure your get loads of players after that 30 min free coaching.
  • edited July 2015
    Good afternoon Pat.
    I would love to take up your offer, but havent got a clue how to use skype.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
    P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK YET.
  • edited July 2015
    Good afternoon Pat. I would love to take up your offer, but havent got a clue how to use skype. All the best. Rainman397. P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK YET.
    Posted by rainman397
    If you have a laptop/ipad, then it'd be easy to download Skype and set up an account for free. If not, then we can just talk on the phone. If you'd like to send me a tiny paragraph via PM about what games you play and what areas you would like to work on, I'll plan some specifc things in advanance that we can talk about and that I feel could add value to you. If not we can just wing it haha.

Pat :)
  • edited July 2015
    Getting advise from Pat on women is highly recommended. Probably more so than his poker. :)

Nice post Pat.
  • edited July 2015
    Hi pat if the offer is still there id like to take you up on it, im planning on making the move up to the £11 games fairly soon, so any advice from a reg at that level would be a massive help, I will pm you my details tommorow as im not currently away from home for a few days. 
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Feeling Frustrated? Bad Week/Month/Year? == Giving Back ==:
    Getting advise from Pat on women is highly recommended. Probably more so than his poker. :) Nice post Pat.
    Posted by FlashFlush

Haha no comment.

In Response to Re: Feeling Frustrated? Bad Week/Month/Year? == Giving Back ==:
    Hi pat if the offer is still there id like to take you up on it, im planning on making the move up to the £11 games fairly soon, so any advice from a reg at that level would be a massive help, I will pm you my details tommorow as im not currently away from home for a few days. 
    Posted by RLT16

Offer is still open, I look forward to it!
  • edited July 2015
    For those of you who PM'd me beforehand, I only just saw them and have messaged back! Thanks.

Pat