You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker Live - Review

edited July 2015 in Poker Chat

Tues 21st July

As a lot of ‘forumites’ don’t have access to the Sky Sports channels, I thought I’d do a show review here. The first one will be a bit sketchy, whist I try to squeeze in the highlights. Hopefully the review will improve as the weeks go by.

Presenters: Richard Orford & Stuart Rutter

Guests: James Rann & Sam Grafton

For those unfamiliar with the show, each week, the show’s guests embark on a £100 cash challenge. They each have one hour to amass as much profit as they can at a £0.25/£0.50 cash table. So far, some have been more successful than others…  

The first hand shown featured James Rann (Runsitrann), who had the Sky Poker ambassador Neil Channing (NChanning) at his table.
James pocket cards were a pleasing AJ suited…  
James raised to £1.50
Neil called.
The flop was 2d, 2s, 6s
James checked
Neil checked
The turn was 4c
James checked
Neil raised £2.50
James called
The river was Ad
Both players checked
Neil showed QJ suited (spades) 
A win for James, as Neil’s flush draw failed to materialise.

A later game featured Sam, Neil and a third player.
This hand stopped before showdown, to give viewers a chance to show that they could figure the inner workings of Neil’s mind. Still not sure if that’s a positive or a negative…

Sam raised to £1.50
Third & Neil called
The flop was 3h, 10c and 5c
Third checked
Neil checked
Sam raised to £3.38
Third called
Neil 3-bet to £12.76
Sam & Third folded.

What was Neil holding? Answer further down the page. 

As the show progressed, James lost a fair portion of his stack. Getting it all-in with AT off, and losing it to a 4 on the river. ‘Damn you Sky Poker’, he may or may not have been heard to mutter….  

It was not James’ night. It wasn’t long before he said goodbye to his remaining stack (£4.84) after losing out to AA, whilst holding KK. The rather innocuous board played out 10s, 6d, 6s, Qc & 4c. 

Sam Grafton had a better night, lasting the whole hour, with a profit of £54.54. This secured him a rather pleasing 7th place on the leader board. James not so fortunate. Here’s hoping the challenge goes to best of three..  

The ‘Top of the Pots’ hand featured one of those situations you never want to find yourself in. Ending with a deal of Js, 9d, 8d, 2d & Jd.The two remaining players holding Jh2h, for a full house, and Td7d, for the straight flush. Ouch. It ended much as expected with a sizeable pot that you could buy a small car with.

Spoiler Alert: Neil had two pair with 5s 3c. Did you get it. His raise is understandable with an overcard and a flush draw looming.

Since the new incarnation of the show, I’ve never been happy with the news section. It has a lack of structure that makes it feel as though it’s just been put in there to split the show up. Maybe they could use some of Rob’s data to give credit to some of the Sky players (if that’s allowed, under their broadcasting restrictions). I’d certainly be happier with a ‘set’ range if information. Big poker tours on. Amateurs that have come good. Odd / funny story to finish. Also, images on a monitor help a lot with news stories, like how this guy does it… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2HMO1Pbsg 

In summary, after that shameless self-promotion, the show is slowly finding its feet. I think the shows do benefit from having at least one ‘lively’ character, just to stop it taking itself too seriously. As we know, poker isn’t a matter of life or death. It’s much more important than that.

Bench.

Comments