You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Positive thinking

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

Does positive thinking play anypart in poker ? How many times have you gone all in with the best hand but know that the other player will hit? In the open (bounty hunter tonight) I went all in with QQ got called by JJ but new he would hit his j (he did) thats the way my all inns seem to be going I do the right moves (chips in with the best hand ) but know i will get outrawn I try to think positive but at the back of my mind I have already lost does this play any part in poker or just bad luck?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    it doesn't at all... maths does.
  • edited January 2010
    it doesn't to what cards come out but can have positive effects on your game overall.... so to what happened above..... NO lol
  • edited January 2010

so why did QQ v JJ not win pure math says it should?
  • edited January 2010

Positive thinking is very important in my opinion. but not in the way ur suggesting!!! This Mike the Mouth method of thinking the cards are gonna come for you, and they will! lol - He really is 1 deluded man that guy. I dont know loads about success of pros, but everytime I see him play, he claims hes the best, and he just gets battered!! lol

(Just add in having dloaded FT and PS recently, I saw him playing omaha with some1 n he lost 75k....the buy in was only 5k. lol)

Neway - I think the positive thinking is important in believing in your own ability. Think positively everytime you sit down at a table, believe you can win, and that you are the best player there. If you don't then you're gonna struggle. Say it all the time, that poker's played in the head, so If your head is in the right place before you sit down, you've given yourself half a chance!

GL, DOHH
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Positive thinking:
    Posted by JONONZIE
    No id doesn't??? pure maths says it will lose a small percentage of the time
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by JONONZIE
    QQ is going to win 81% of the time, or 4 times out of 5.
  • edited January 2010

Hi Dohhhhhhh I have read load of your posts and you talk a lot of common  sense  I always put my head in the right frame of mind and say to myself I am the best player in any tournament, (or at say least I have as much chance as anyone else) and agree positive thinking is very inportant in a game but after a few bad beats (i.e QQ v JJ) and you are what is termed "running bad"  you start to play safe cause you know if you have high cards the flop will come down low, (and they do) so you want to see the flop first, you also start to tighten up (at least i do) It is so frustrating that poker is a game without boundaries or rules of how to play when you seem to run bad because you know if you play your normal game you will lose so you play ultra tight and play safe but still not good enough when you go all in witht QQ and get called by JJ and know you will lose!!
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by JONONZIE
     pure math says QQ should win 80% of the time v JJ... NOT that it should win.
  • edited January 2010
     Hi Dohhhhhhh I have read load of your posts and you talk a lot of common  sense  I always put my head in the right frame of mind and say to myself I am the best player in any tournament, (or at say least I have as much chance as anyone else) and agree positive thinking is very inportant in a game but after a few bad beats (i.e QQ v JJ) and you are what is termed "running bad"  you start to play safe cause you know if you have high cards the flop will come down low, (and they do) so you want to see the flop first, you also start to tighten up (at least i do) It is so frustrating that poker is a game without boundaries or rules of how to play when you seem to run bad because you know if you play your normal game you will lose so you play ultra tight and play safe but still not good enough when you go all in witht QQ and get called by JJ and know you will lose!!
    Posted by JONONZIE
    that imo is a form of negative thinking... you are not telling yourself you are the best, you are telling yourself you are equal.
  • edited January 2010

saying you are the best wll only result in bad play imo   thinking you cant lose the (mike the mouth play) and play hands you should not play, call when you should fold, and generaly play far to aggresive and weve all seen thoese players! I always think I have as much chance as anyone at the begining of a turney but can play better once play starts like any game in any sport at the start anyone can win its only when the game unfolds can you start to read how your "luck" is going and play accordingly
  • edited January 2010
    but luck is not streaky... luck does not care about the past or future, luck is always in the present. So you cant get a feel for how you will run based on the past. I dont see why you would play a tournament in which you dont think you have good chance of winning (i.e are the best or one of the best players in it)... you need to have an edge.
  • edited January 2010
    Positive thinking, definitely live. Make your raises confidently, especially if you're stone cold bluffing. When playing live positive thinking is the only way to go, play every hand like the nuts!

Online? Does it honestly make a difference?
  • edited January 2010
    it doesn't to what cards come out but can have positive effects on your game overall.... so to what happened above..... NO lol
    Posted by NICON

this