You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker Live - Unofficial Review

edited August 2015 in Poker Chat
Tuesday 28 July 2015

Welcome to the unofficial review of this week’s show.

To get the best from this review, it’s probably best not to read it until the pictures have been approved.

Presenters: Richard Orford and  Ryan Spittles

Guests: Andrew Hulme & Steve Warburton

Andrew (@stato_1) is ranked  #48 in the UK by GPI, and has an all-time earnings figure of just over $300,000.

Steve (@S_Warbs) is ranked #42 in the UK by GPI, and has an all-time earnings figure in excess of $500,000.

Tonight’s show kicked off with some gentle chat between the boys. Ryan has spent the last two months in Vegas. The cards didn’t run well for him there, and although he didn’t reveal the extent of his losses, he did confirm he returned with $9 in cash. To me that would be a career high.

Remarks were also passed about Ryan’s new look. After some styling advice from fellow players in Vegas, he has decided to dispense with his Johnny Cash tribute act and start embracing pastel colours. Richard was quick to pass comment on Ryan’s new look, adding that when Ryan first arrived at the studio, his shirt looked like it has been ironed with a wok.

As usual the show’s first main feature was the start of the £100 challenge. Andrew Hulme (WOOMERA) was up first.

Andrew was holding AT off, UTG, in a five handed game.

Andrew: Check
Cut-Off: Fold
Button: Fold
SB: raised to £1.50
BB: Fold
Andrew: Call
Flop: 8s Qs 6h
SB: Bet £1.50
Andrew: Call
Turn: 4h
SB: Bet £4
Andrew: Fold

SB’s cards were revealed as 5d 6d

Next up was Steve (LOLLURFACE), holding pocket 2’s, UTG

Steve: Raise £1.50
Mid Pos: Call
Cut-Off: Fold
Button: Fold
SB: Fold
BB: Fold
Flop: 4s 2d 8c
Steve: Bet £2.50
Turn: 3h
Steve Bet: £12
Mid Pos: Fold

Steve won with a set of 2’s, with the cut-off folding Ad Td

After forty minutes of play, the first ‘guessing hand’ came up.

Steve was holding Ah 7h, on the button.

UTG: Fold
Mid Pos: Raise £1.35
Cut-off: Fold
Steve: Raise £4.20
SB: FoldBB: Fold
Flop: 8d Ks 2h
Mid Pos: Check
Steve: Bet £4.50
Mid Pos: Raise £15
Steve: Fold

What did Mid Pos have? Answer later on.

This week’s ‘Top of the Pots’ was a head to head Affair.

On a £5/£10 table, the SB was holding 4s 4c and the button had Ah Th.

SB: £5
Button (BB): £10
SB: Call
Button: Raise  £14
SB: Call
Flop: Kd Qh 4H
SB: Check
Button: Bet £24
SB: Raise: £96
Button: Call
Turn: Jd
SB: Bet £180
Button: Raise £590
River: 6c
SB: Check
Button: All-in
SB: All-in

The Button took the pot of £5356 (£1995 profit) with a straight to the Ace, beating a set of 4’s. All very nice.

Spoiler Alert: Guessing Hand No.1 – Mid Pos was holding 2d 2s

Another ‘guessing hand’ (No.2) came up for Steve next. 

Steve was holding Ah QS, on the button. I’m a little bit sketchy on the opening betting, so I’ll just improvise.

UTG: Fold
Mid Pos: Raise £2
Cut-off: Fold
Steve: Raise £5.50
Flop: Ac 9c Ts
Mid Pos: Check
Steve: Bet £7
Mid Pos: Raise £20
Steve: Call
Turn: 8d
Mid Pos: Bet £38
Steve: Fold

What was Mid Pos holding? See spoiler alert later on. 

After a tentative start in the 100 challenge, with Andrew and Steve remaining in close contact, Steve began to pull away. It wasn’t to last. With the other players at their tables giving them close attention, and a run for their money, both players struggled to improve any. After the 100 minutes were over, Andrew had managed to curtail his losses to around £50, whilst Steve had busted out at 11.23pm.

Spoiler Alert: Guessing hand No.2 – Mid position was holding Kh Qc, and was betting on a straight draw.

And that was this week’s show.

What’s right with it (IMHO)

The £100 challenge is a great idea. It keeps actual poker hands on our screen, within the constraints of broadcasting policy. I also like the fact that we get to see poker players who online players may ever see in televised poker tournaments. They’re not all stone-faced grumps. Trying to guess the villain’s hand is another good feature. Although not original, it does help to keep the show interactive. Good to see Ryan again too.

What’s wrong with it (IMNSHO) 

Aaargh. The news feature. I appreciate it’s their to give the show a natural break and not make it all about the challenge, but it’s like an orphan with OCD at a party, standing in for a jazz musician who hasn’t turned up. I’ve been to THAT party. It’s not good. (Although ticket sales for this year are holding up). How to put it right? I don’t have the answer, but in its current format, I don’t find it engaging at all. Apologies in advance.

And on that (sour) note….adios, until next week.

Bench

Comments

• edited July 2015
    They do skype linkups sometimes - why dont you offer to do a guest news slot? Or just pre-record something and send it in.

PS Have you ever played in a live tournament? Geldy doesn't think the competition is strong enough yet for the blog competition to win a UKPC seat.

• edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Live - Unofficial Review:
    They do skype linkups sometimes - why dont you offer to do a guest news slot? Or just pre-record something and send it in. PS Have you ever played in a live tournament? Geldy doesn't think the competition is strong enough yet for the blog competition to win a UKPC seat.
    Posted by Phantom66
    That's a little disappointing, as I'm already in. :/
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Live - Unofficial Review : That's a little disappointing, as I'm already in. :/
    Posted by Benchmark
    ahh sorry wasn't meant as a rub down - should have checked whether you had already entered before posting. Was meant as a compliment to your writing skills.

edit: A good read as expected - however you may be disqualified as it is not about a live poker experience.

The Geldy reference was because he complained I was trying to alert Slipwater to the comp.
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Live - Unofficial Review : ahh sorry wasn't meant as a rub down - should have checked whether you had already entered before posting. Was meant as a compliment to your writing skills. edit: A good read as expected - however you may be disqualified as it is not about a live poker experience. The Geldy reference was because he complained I was trying to alert Slipwater to the comp.
    Posted by Phantom66

No worries. As you said, the comp is principally for players with a live experience. As for Sky Poker News, I have one or two ideas...
  • edited August 2015
    Photos now approved.

Click on them to view larger size.

Looks like photos are reviewed Monday a.m. (they appeared around this time last week).

Will post further reviews on a Sunday evening / Early Monday, so the post isn't hanging around for a few days, like an unwelcome relative at xmas.
  • edited August 2015
    Photos now approved. Click on them to view larger size. Looks like photos are reviewed Monday a.m. (they appeared around this time last week). Will post further reviews on a Sunday evening / Early Monday, so the post isn't hanging around for a few days, like an unwelcome relative at xmas.
    Posted by Benchmark
    Hi Benchmark,

You are right, the photos are checked daily, with the last of the week being Friday - to be checked again Monday morning.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Live - Unofficial Review : Hi Benchmark, You are right, the photos are checked daily, with the last of the week being Friday - to be checked again Monday morning. Thanks, Sam
    Posted by Sky_SamT
    It's been said before I know but 
    Couldn't we just gamble that the photos people post aren't offensive in any manner?
    Just do a one strike and you're out system.