You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A little perspective.

I often read about players bemoaning their luck and jumping on the "online pokerz rigged" wagon.
It's quite common to read quotes like "it was against the chip leader so obviously he sucked out, it was against a reg so same outcome, the software favours the fish so they keep coming back, I ran terrible last week so I hope to run great this week". The list is endless to be honest and I could be here hours listing them but I won't.

What I'd like to do is put up a few simple figures and facts to put things into perspective. I've had a little nosey at sharkscope, and the statistics of one particular player (who I won't name). This player has amassed profits of over 90k on Sky. This player - In my opinion -  is one of the top 3 mtt players on the site so, bear in mind if it can happen to this guy, it can happen to us all.

Key facts:

1267 days played.
779 losing days. If my math's is right then that's 63%. 63% of the time this player logs off having lost. That's a HUGE figure!!!

Worst 100 Streak Av Profit: -£19.38  That's almost a 2k downswing right there.Worst 500 Streak Av Profit: -£2.69 -  1350 downswing.

Max Losing Streak: 33. For a very good player that seems huge but it can, and will happen. For anyone not multi tabling or playing that often, 33 games could be months of not winning a bean.

So, when you think you're running bad just bear in mind how tough it is for this player, nevermind us mere mortals.

Comments

• edited August 2015

That's a terrific post Mr Cow, & the thread title says it all.

And for those that can't stomach, or afford, such downswings which even the best MTT-ers suffer from time to time, it's a salutary lesson - play SNG's or Cash, which are far less swingy. You simply can't have such massive downswings in SNG's or Cash, & if you do, it's not a downswing, it's your game.

Are you looking forward to the new football season? I dare not mention which team, in case I get it wrong, but I'm assuming Newcastle or Sunderland, right? 
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: A little perspective.:
    That's a terrific post Mr Cow, & the thread title says it all. And for those that can't stomach, or afford, such downswings which even the best MTT-ers suffer from time to time, it's a salutary lesson - play SNG's or Cash, which are far less swingy. You simply can't have such massive downswings in SNG's or Cash, & if you do, it's not a downswing, it's your game.   Are you looking forward to the new football season? I dare not mention which team, in case I get it wrong, but I'm assuming Newcastle or Sunderland, right? 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for the reply TK. I just thought I'd have a look at a few stats out of interest. I was a little shocked actually but it deffo shows that if it can happen to the best players it will happen to the rest of us. What i didnt say was that you have to bear in mind thsat this player is a very accomplished player and will make a hellova lot less mistakes than your average bear, so the downswings, non cashes and losing sessions should be higher for most.

I'm a Sunderland fan. As always, the start of the season is something to look forward to. We've made a couple of decent signings but not enough to make a big difference. If pushed, I'd say it'll be another grind this season with a finsh of 13-16th position.