You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dealing with low variance

First off, this is not a thread to bemoan bad beats, fishes getting lucky, being outplayed or the board lucking out.

How do you deal with low variance?

I've just come out of a few SnG (turbo) where I had been dealt bad card after bad cards. I'm not talking about semi playable ones such as unsuited connectors or raggy aces, im talking low raggy jacks,raggy 9s! , 3 8 off. Cards in the deuce 7 range. Wont hit top pair, wont make a good flush nor a straight Really poor cards.

You are powerless at that point, I know at that point it just something you can't control.
I guess im just feeling quite fustrated, how do you handle it?

I did get one premium hand KK in the last few sessions, on the BB.

Every else folded, I was onn the BB and picked up just the small one :)

also side note: Im realatively new to online poker, (less than a year)
is it just me that notices big stacks have tremondous luck? Quite a few times I've seen them come from way  behind to win the pot (i.e getting it in bottom pair vs top pair on the flop, turn gives them trips or two pairs) Its happened quite often, there must be some explanation for this?

Comments

• edited August 2015

Hi Viv,

Understood.

Being card-dead is going to happen to us all occasionally, in exactly the same way as we will have "heaters" from time to time.

It's best to accept it here & now - it will always be like that, it just will. Nothing can change that, nor should it. The glorious uncertainty of poker.

As to not being able to control it, that's not quite true. Have you tried multi-tabling, & having, 2, 3, 4 or more on the go at the same time. What that does is even out the variance - you run bad on Table 1, good on table 4, & so so on Tables 2 & 3.

If you are unused to multi-tabling, it takes a bot of getting used to, but it soon becomes second nature, & you become more selective with starting hands, too. That does not mean investing more money, just spread the same money wider.

You got walked with K-K? Do the glass half-full thing - you may well have lost with them. (I'd guess you lose 30% of the time with K-K). Small gains beat big losses.

Incidentally, you mention Turbo SNG's. These are particularly, by their very nature. Have you tried a slower paced SNG instead?
  • edited August 2015

".....is it just me that notices big stacks have tremondous luck? Quite a few times I've seen them come from way  behind to win the pot (i.e getting it in bottom pair vs top pair on the flop, turn gives them trips or two pairs) Its happened quite often, there must be some explanation for this?....."

I'm not sure it I true that big stacks have better luck than short stacks. In fact, I'm certain it is not.

When we are a big stack & lose a pot to a small stack, it barely registers in our mind. It's a surface wound, move on.

When we are a small stack & lose a pot, that's it, end of MTT or SNG, game over. So we notice it & remember it.

There is no maths to suggest big stacks run better than small stacks - it's all in the mind.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Dealing with low variance:
    If you are unused to multi-tabling, it takes a bot of getting used to, 
    Posted by Tikay10

A Freudian slip if I ever saw one!

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Dealing with low variance : A Freudian slip if I ever saw one!
    Posted by PRees
    Ha, not wrong. I really must type slower, & be more careful.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Dealing with low variance:
    First off, this is not a thread to bemoan bad beats, fishes getting lucky, being outplayed or the board lucking out. How do you deal with low variance? I've just come out of a few SnG (turbo) where I had been dealt bad card after bad cards. I'm not talking about semi playable ones such as unsuited connectors or raggy aces, im talking low raggy jacks,raggy 9s! , 3 8 off. Cards in the deuce 7 range. Wont hit top pair, wont make a good flush nor a straight Really poor cards. You are powerless at that point, I know at that point it just something you can't control. I guess im just feeling quite fustrated, how do you handle it? I did get one premium hand KK in the last few sessions, on the BB. Every else folded, I was onn the BB and picked up just the small one :) also side note: Im realatively new to online poker, (less than a year) is it just me that notices big stacks have tremondous luck? Quite a few times I've seen them come from way  behind to win the pot (i.e getting it in bottom pair vs top pair on the flop, turn gives them trips or two pairs) Its happened quite often, there must be some explanation for this?
    Posted by Viveora2
    Good morning Viveora.
    On big stack  being lucky, i think it comes down to a big against small stack, big stack is more likely to call you because of his stack size.
    If he loses he is still in tournament.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
    P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK YET.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Dealing with low variance : Good morning Viveora. On big stack  being lucky, i think it comes down to a big against small stack, big stack is more likely to call you because of his stack size. If he loses he is still in tournament. All the best. Rainman397 P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK YET.
    Posted by rainman397
                                                    Hi rainman
                                                                    Just wanted to say-"£2.20 DEEPSTACK" lol
                                                                                                                                  see you on the tabs m8,
                                                                                                                                                                     Jim