You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New to Omaha HI/lo

edited August 2015 in Poker Chat
Just started playing Omaha HI/lo

I had   ( Kh Qs 4c 2s )

opponent ( 9s 5d 3s Js )

Board ( 5h Jh Qh  Jc  Ah)

newbie Question how did i not win Low part of pot ?

and hand range tips please after I learn all the rules want to work on a range.

Thanks 

Comments

• edited August 2015
    the low has to be no higher than an 8.... if say the queen was 8 or below (not pairing your cards or low cards on the board) you would of won the low

I would not reccomend chasing a low as it can be halfed
  • edited August 2015
    Yeah you need 5 cards to make a low and it has to be 8 or lower (pairs don't count|)
  • edited August 2015

Ah thanks I see now.

Im suprised its not more popular, hoping its going to be a refreshing change from NL Holdem.

Looking into H.O.R.S.E too and thinking it could help with No limit Holdem games but not sure how yet.
  • edited August 2015
    HI Jack.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PLO8.

For Lo's You need to have 2 cards that do not pair the board and the board needs 3 different cards 8 or lower.

Straights or flushes do not matter for lo's.

There is a really good intro strategy guide on here.

- Click on the Academy tab then there are links to PLO8 guides down the left hand side.

There is also quite a bit of advice on a thread Tikay stsrted on the forum under sit and go strategy.

It is 99.9% a very positive community on the tables - if you are not sure you can ask in chat and you will get help. 

GL and have fun at the tables
  • edited August 2015
    Oh this will be music to Tikays ears!!

Welcome to the plopper club Jack.

I used to only play holdem but when I discovered omaha I never looked back. I moved from plo to plo8 in Jan last year and now I like that even more. I find holdem kinda boring compared to plo8 and I too am surprised its not alot more popular.

Hope you enjoy!

Good luck

Ger 
  • edited August 2015
    Hi Jack
    Good to see new members or "ploppers" enjoying the wonderful 4 card game.
    Lots of good fun and banter at the table with our community within the larger sky group of players.
    If you have questions ask and people will try and help.
    Tikay the PLO8 master ALWAYS has aces as I have found out all too often.
    I look forward to seeing you at the tables
    Nick
  • edited August 2015
    Welcome aboard Jack
    Hope you stick around as its a fab little bunch we have playing PLO8
    Gl
    Mick
  • edited August 2015

JackRich, what a cracking alias that is.

Welcome aboard.

As you said, it really is a refreshing change from NLH, & it really makes us think, as it's quite a complex game really.

WARNING

As the Eagles famously sung recently, in Hotel California.....

You can check-out any time you like,
    But you can never leave

Once you get hooked on PLO & PLO8, that's it - there is no escape.

PLL8, in particular, seems to be frequented by really nice people, too. Odd people, in the way wicketkeepers, goalkeepers,& people who watch Big Brother are odd, if you know what I mean.

A few tips, explanations, bits & bobs will follow, if you have any questions, fire away, plenty of folks here will help with replies, & I'll chip in when time permits, too.

The two links that churchy posted are very useful, too.

Good luck bro.

• edited August 2015
    In Response to New to Omaha HI/lo:
    Just started playing Omaha HI/lo I had   ( Kh Qs 4c 2s ) opponent ( 9s 5d 3s Js ) Board ( 5h Jh Qh  Jc  Ah) newbie Question how did i not win Low part of pot ? and hand range tips please after I learn all the rules want to work on a range. Thanks 
    Posted by JackRich
    Might just be the best question ever from a PLO or PLO8 newbie.

Nothing is more important, if you want to be a break-even or winning player than starting hand ranges.

I'll work through a few later, as will others I expect, but it is the biggest failing in the 4 card game, players who don't understand good starting hand ranges.

Get your ranges right, & you are halfway there.

In PLO & PLO8 we can, of course "punt" or "gamble" with any 4, & it's great fun. Long term though, it's always going to end badly.
  • edited August 2015

Aside from starting hand ranges, the next most important thing in PLO8 is understanding that.....

We should only enter a pot, or continue in the hand, if we think we can SCOOP.

"Scoop"?

That's when we win BOTH the high & the low.

Calling pre, & every street, to (possibly) get half or a quarter of the pot can only end in tears.

If we call down every street with no high, & only the nut low, we are being freerolled. Eventually, we'll get counterfeited, or miss our low, & Matey Boy will scoop us. And we'll feel jolly silly.

• edited August 2015

Quartered, three quartered, what that?

The pot is divided into two pots. One for the high. One for the low.

If there is no low (which is often the case) the high gets the whole pot.

NB - useful newbie tip - there is often a low. There is ALWAYS a high.

Quartering is when we both have, say, the same low (this happens VERY frequently, as it's quite easy to hit), but one of us also has the high. 

So, in that case, Matey Boy gets 100% of the High Pot, & 50% of the low pot.

And Mr Low Only gets NONE of the high pot, & 50% of the low pot. So he gets quartered.

If we are 3 handed, in the same scenario, we can very easily end up with ONE SIXTH of the pot.

Once you have found your feet, we'll delve deeper into this, as when we are 3 or 4 handed, it gets quite interesting, as to whether we try to keep our opponents in, or try to drive them out.

But imagine this pot, which is FOUR handed. You have the nut flush, nut straight, or full house for the high. And 3 other players keep calling. They must have the nut low. So we want to carefully inflate this pot, as we are getting half, & those three are sharing the other half.

One of the most common ways of three quartering others is when we have the nut flush, AND the nut low.

And that is why suited aces, accompanied by any deuce, are so powerful. If you have a suited ace & a deuce in your hand, you always want to take a flop if possible. You wont hit hard very often, but when you do, you are in a lovely spot.      

• edited August 2015

Dave Bland wrote some PLO8 hints & tips for newbies a while back.

You can see them
    HERE

And HERE

And HERE

And HERE

And HERE

And finally HERE
  • edited August 2015

Right, my dinner awaits, & WBA v Man C is on the telly.

More to follow when time permits.

Don't forget, any questions, fire away.
  • edited August 2015
    What?
    No mention of the "Arsenal Back Four" !
  • edited August 2015
    Hi again Jack

Is it DYM's or MTT's you're playing?
  • edited August 2015
    I tried to teach the game to five nlhe players a month ago.
    After an hour I gave up as I'm incapable.
    Instead, I challenged myself to beat the world record for eating Scampi.
    I think I managed that.
    With ease.
    Hopefully will get a few games in this week. Am a bit busy, but need to put this TK kickball watching bloke in his place.
  • edited August 2015

Ha, bring it on, Lady Twiglet.

Name your night.

PS - welcome back. 

PPS - ish.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: New to Omaha HI/lo:
    Ha, bring it on, Lady Twiglet. Name your night. PS - welcome back.  PPS - ish.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Less of the lip please, you young upstart you.
    I'm back until Friday, will try my utmost to plop this week but can't promise.
    xx
  • edited August 2015
    Karen! Welcome back. however briefly.
  • edited August 2015
    Greetings Jack. Welcome to the Sky PLO8 madhouse. I can guarantee that you will find PLO8 the most entertaining and enthralling of games. The banter on the tables is top notch and there is rarely if ever any 'bad blood' in the chatbox (unlike holdem).
    Others have already posted some excellent links so give them a read and if in doubt ask.
    STT and a few MTTs run every night and they range from 60p to £10 so much merriment can be had for not a lot.
    Good luck and I hope to see you on the tables soon.
  • edited August 2015
    Karen! Welcome back. however briefly.
    Posted by FCHD

We can but hope it will be suitably brief. As in, say, a day or two. Max.
  • edited August 2015
    Hi again Jack Is it DYM's or MTT's you're playing?
    Posted by VespaPX

Wow Bombarded with tons of Advice, excellent Thanks all.

Ive been playing DYM PLO8 when the tables are filling up but far too much of a NLH majority out there.

Not entered any PLO8 Tournaments yet, How high do they go in the uk?

I seem to survive longer at PLO8 than NL.

• edited August 2015
    My Advice

Play the PLO8 Night each Thursday - four tournaments for less than £10. Brilliant fun & a great crowd!
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks Ice

Will do.