You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

On-line vs live poker: pros & cons

edited August 2015 in Poker Chat
What are the things about the one or the other that you prefer, and why?

To start things off:

Something to like about playing live: because you can "check in the dark" ie check your hand being first to act before the card/s has been dealt. Not possible to do on sky - i don't know about other sites. ie the big blind might call multi way and then announce before the flop is dealt that they "check in the dark". It is regarded as a binding statement.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Can't see that as a positive/can't see why anyone would ever want to make a decision deliberately before having extra information which can lead to making a better decision.

Best thing about live for me is just that it's more fun/more of a sociable activity geting to talk to other people face to face.

Best thing about online is the game selection on offer and being able o play as many tables as you want.
  • edited August 2015
    I'm by no means a multi-tabler (used to play 4 tops, now I sit very comfortably with two) but I sometimes find I become a bit robotic when playing online. There's so much more information available to you live which I like. Plus it's nice sometimes to feel chips in your hand :). Also much more enjoy the social aspect of live play, when you get fun tables.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: On-line vs live poker: pros & cons:
    Can't see that as a positive/can't see why anyone would ever want to make a decision deliberately before having extra information which can lead to making a better decision. Best thing about live for me is just that it's more fun/more of a sociable activity geting to talk to other people face to face. Best thing about online is the game selection on offer and being able o play as many tables as you want.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Best thing about online is you don't have to speak to people
  • edited August 2015
    Best thing about live is how terrible most of the players are. I always love the confidence with which they say that the only reason they lose online is because it is rigged.

Worst thing is idiots with headphones on demanding that the dealer speaks louder....

Best online is the freedom to multitable. Worst is when sites crash.
  • edited August 2015
    Online, you can duck tape your laptop to your steering wheel and play whilst at work.

Live , you dont get points on your license.
  • edited August 2015
    Best thing about live is I dont have a mouse to smash to pieces

Best thing about online is when I smash my mouse I cool off enough to behave like a normal human being
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: On-line vs live poker: pros & cons:
    In Response to Re: On-line vs live poker: pros & cons : Best thing about online is you don't have to speak to people
    Posted by MattBates
    Must be hard having to crane your neck to look up to speak to people so I can see where you're coming from :P

I agree with Lambert though, love playing live for the social aspect. For me the best thing about online is the ability to see all the chipcounts easily and being able to bet the correct amount of pot that I want. Playing live I often have no idea of the chip counts of others due to my colour-blindness :(