You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to Play Flopped Quad Aces????

edited January 2010 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
Ok I cant paste the hand, mainly as this hand was played on a different site ( I know shame on me).

So a bit of background to the game before I explain the hand as best as I can

6 Player STT, 3 players left,

I'm chip leader with around 6.6k in chips and on BB
Button has about 1.7k in chips
SB has around 600 chips

Blinds are 30/60

I've been a bit of a card rack, basically hitting everything, including a straight when I played 5 2 os after someone else was all in for their last 500 chips, so I think the other 2 players are cautious about playing out at me.

The guy on the SB has been nursing his chips for a while, and keeps limping in to my BB, and then folds as soon as I make a pre flop raise, whether this be a standard raise or a minimum raise. I've checked a couple of times pre flop, hoping to induce some action on the flop, but he didnt seem to want to play and would imeediately fold to any post flop raise I made.

So there's the background.

Hands are dealt I have pocket aces, button folds, and SB limps in as is his want.

I check and flop comes down

J A A (rainbow board)

SB checks and I follow suit

Turn is a 6
(stil rainbow board) - Anything decent here, ie face card, or flush possibilities Id have probably put out a small bet, in the hop he might have hit part of it, however we both checked again.

River is a 10, so im hoping he's hit something, however again he checks.

I make a small bet of 60 chips , and he folds, and Im left with that feeling of having made hardly anything with quad aces.

Now I dont think a bet on the flop or turn would have been any more successful, as I'm hoping  he's either hit the jack, presuming that if he has a 6 he knows his 2 pair is counterfeited, nor can I put him on a straight draw, as I would have expected him to be a bit more aggressive pre flop. The only thing I can think of in playing this differently is making a largish bet on teh river in an attempt to make it look like I'm trying to buy the pot.

I dont think it would have made any difference at all with this opponent, but I would be grateful if anyone has any insights of how to try and maximise value from a hand like this.

Im guessing most people will say there was very little I couldve done different but it would be nice to see if there are any other thoughts out there

Cheers

Aski (Col)

Comments

• edited January 2010
    sometimes it can be so hard to get any value from your monster hands because you have so much of the board it is unlikely your opponent has any. I would bet the flop because most people check when they hit trips so it looks like you have a jack... if he folds, well he was always folding, so just bet and build a pot.
  • edited January 2010
    ^that.

What if he'd called your riverbet and he had a jack? Would you not feel like you missed an opportunity to get more than 60 chips off him? I mean who cares if he folds if all your gonna make when he doesnt is 60 chips. Why didnt you raise preflop? because you didnt want him to fold again? What you should really be thinking is i want to get some money in the pot before the flop so that even if he misses and i dont get anymore out of him i still got that extra bit from him preflop. You say yourself even when you check he doesnt put in any money postflop. The way to get people to put in money is to constantly raise preflop. THey will make a stand sooner or later, and if youre lucky thats the time you flop quad aces.
  • edited January 2010
    Cheers Blackfish and Offshoot

As I said I was probably getting frustrated that all my pre flop raises were being folded too, hence I tried to play it different then felt at the end I'd missed a trick, so your thoughts are much appreciated

Aski (Col)
  • edited January 2010
    if you had a hand of Ax though and the flop was AAA then i would check it, if they bet then shove hoping they have a pocket pair and have flopped a house because you dont want them scared by over cards... if they check then same on turn, then just shove any river... if they house up at all they will call lol. So just look for any sign of them housing up and shove in that situation... although its different to yours.
  • edited January 2010
    dont slowplay. endo story!