You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pocket Queens

edited September 2015 in Poker Chat
I love women who play poker.

Fun and crazy, like Fatima Moreira de Melo. Flirty and outrageous like Jennifer Tilley. Witty and charming like Victoria Coren-Mitchell. I love all of them in all of the flavours.

By way of an introduction for those of you who don’t know me, I am in fact a girl. I have supported the ladies game for a long time now and I make an effort to play ladies’ tournaments whenever I can. If you search the archives of the Sky Forums, you will find a couple of pieces that I wrote about my first WSOP bracelet event HERE and HERE.

Before we settle down, let’s address the elephant in the room.  No, there should be no gender bias at the felt. Yes, we all possess the one required tool for the game - a brain. No, this is not going to be a positively discriminative thread that bemoans the domination of male players, crusades for ladies-only tournaments and generally hates on men. That debate is as archaic as it is boring and you will not find that here (unless a current and relevant incident naturally leads us to pass comment). For the record, there are a considerable amount of male poker players who I also love (“Hi Antonio" *waves*).

SKY POKER is no different to its competitors; it has women who play on the site, who work the live circuit and who are generally interested in hearing about what other women are up to at the felt. For many of us, it’s a sort of solidarity thing. And not because we’re being sexist. It’s just because there are less of us. We are in a minority and so it is easier to streamline us as news genre into a blog that is just a little bit different.

What this thread intends to bring you is news, updates and general championing of the girls who get out there and crush. It may be coated in candy floss from time to time, but it will be informative and current. And it may contain some tales from my own adventures  along the way.

So if you too are interested in what the girls are up to, and you are a poker player of either sex, then this should be the place for you. Pull up a chair, a brew and a chocolate biscuit, and lets begin.

Natalie Bromley

Comments

• edited August 2015
    It's been a pleasure playing on the same tables as you Natalie, and I am looking forward to reading the updates with intrest. I hope that you make it to notts, good luck.
  • edited August 2015
    We have a few ladies that play PLO8 who are very good.
    You should pop along for a game, even if it's just to bust TK :-)
    Looking forward to reading about the ladies.
  • edited August 2015
    Good evening Mrs Bromley.
    I have been a long time admirer of you and your Husband,s poker.
    I  am a small stakes player, and play the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack whenever i can, it does attract a few Ladies, but someone of your calibre would encourage more Ladies to partake.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Pocket Queens:
    We have a few ladies that play PLO8 who are very good. You should pop along for a game, even if it's just to bust TK :-) Looking forward to reading about the ladies.
    Posted by VespaPX
    I have just started learning PLO as it goes, so will definitely come and pay you a visit. I'll bring plenty of value!!
  • edited August 2015
    Good evening Mrs Bromley. I have been a long time admirer of you and your Husband,s poker. I  am a small stakes player, and play the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack whenever i can, it does attract a few Ladies, but someone of your calibre would encourage more Ladies to partake. All the best. Rainman397.
    Posted by rainman397

Good evening Sir.

This usually clashes with the day job sady, but if I do find myself free in the afternoon then I will absolutely come and play.

See you at the felt!

• edited August 2015
    Nice read Mrs Bromley having been brought up the live arean sexism if a big issue in poker. And I  to be one who fought that women can't play (never bluff) old men are so tight u can get to fold quards if u keep betting.  But I have learnt over the years women can play and the old men never fold bottom pair. Gl at tables Mrs Bromley and tell Adam he's a fish ��.
  • edited August 2015
    May I take this opportunity to add, that I don't actually believe you sleep under a bridge, per my 'not the sky poker news' thread.
  • edited August 2015
    May I take this opportunity to add, that I don't actually believe you sleep under a bridge, per my 'not the sky poker news' thread.
    Posted by Benchmark
    Oh God ... I haven't actually seen this yet (brb)
  • edited August 2015
    Nice read Mrs Bromley having been brought up the live arean sexism if a big issue in poker. And I  to be one who fought that women can't play (never bluff) old men are so tight u can get to fold quards if u keep betting.  But I have learnt over the years women can play and the old men never fold bottom pair. Gl at tables Mrs Bromley and tell Adam he's a fish ��.
    Posted by rspca12
    Adam is not quite sure how to respond to this!
  • edited August 2015
    Posted by Benchmark
    OMG!  Brilliant!!! 
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Pocket Queens : Adam is not quite sure how to respond to this!
    Posted by Bromley023
    Can't argue with the truth I suppose.  Now stop de-railing this thread and get off on your hols!
  • edited August 2015
    Posted by rspca12
    I do.

You are right about Adam though.
  • edited August 2015

Nice thread btw Mrs B.

I see you won your UKPC seat last night - excellent news. Well done Irishrose, too.
  • edited August 2015
    GL Mrs B.

I must say Victoria Coren's book is my fav poker related bio. Probably something to do with the fact that she is a witty intelligent and trained journo who writes exceedingly well. The pictures she paints of joining her older brothers home games and early days in the Vic were just brilliant.

Some of the passages in her run to that 1st EPT win are fantastic and great to expose her thought process on some key hands,  especially the big calls. If that didn't prove it wasn't a fluke then going on to take a 2nd title certainly did.

I will be following your thread with interest, enjoyed your writing style "next door".

One final request, as a "backer" of yours in the charity leaderboard thingy can we have a main bink soon please?
  • edited August 2015
    Thank you kindly! 

Queen Victoria's book is also my fav. She is a complete idol of mine and I would just seriously like to be her please! 

Yeah, noted and apologies re the lack of action. If the truth me known, I'm having a horrible 2015 and am in the midst of a horrific downswing. Just leaking cash all over the place. Hard to admit, but important to I feel. It needs to be out in the open that poker has its downs as well as its ups!

It's something that my coach and I are working on hard so keep your faith; I'll be back soon!!! 
  • edited August 2015

I can confirm that Natalie & I have been working hard on this downswing she is having.
  • edited August 2015
    A good read Brommers 
  • edited August 2015
    I can confirm that Natalie & I have been working hard on this downswing she is having.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I can categorically confirm that Tikay is NOT my coach. He may a have look of Santa Clause about him, but he does not bear poker-related gifts!!!

Although, having Grandpa as my coach would explain the poor results of late! 
  • edited August 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah, but Natalie working on ending the downswing and you working on extending it is not quite the same thing.

• edited August 2015

Marv. I was pretty sure that would get through.

Might have to bring out the old 4 bet.
  • edited August 2015
    WSOP 2015

It’s WSOP de-brief time. And as the world’s poker media pours over stats and winners’ photos, it seemed appropriate to start our updates with a look at how the girls fared in their quests for bracelet glory.

Bracelet Hunting

Disappointingly, we had just two bracelet winners this year, and only one of those was outside of Event #53 (Ladies Championship).  

American Carol Fuchs took down Event #52 (Dealer’s Choice) for a cool $127,735. This was by far her biggest Iive cash and doubled her live career winnings to $279,020.

That’s not to say that we didn’t come close in other events:

- Fellow American Natasha Barbour came agonisingly close when she took the silver medal in event #20 ($1,500 NLH) for a not-too-shabby $284,911 and whilst the elusive bracelet found it’s way onto the wrist of her heads-up opponent, she did at least manage to add an enviable cash to a long line of impressive live results. 

- Continuing the rush of notable American results, Haixia Zhang, our 2014 WSOP Ladies Champion, nearly took home another bracelet, but fell in 4th in Event #59 (another $1,500 NLH) for $165,492

- Kitty Kuo, one of the most popular ladies on the EPT circuit and a personal favourite of mine, took $82,920 for a 4th place finish in Event #14 (yet another (clearly popular) $1.500 NLH). On that same final table was Elizabeth Montizanti who finished 5th for $61,560

- Closer to home, Shola Akindele Deadman proved to be the cream of the British crop with no less than 3 WSOP cashes, the best of which being an 8th place finish in Event #20 (surprisingly, a $1,500 NLH) for $43,888.

The Ladies Championship

The Ladies Championship was won by American Jacqueline Scott, her first ever WSOP cash for a shiny bracelet and a $153,876 payday. Clearly not bothering with a min-cash to ease herself in gently, she just went in for the win!

Main Event

Since 2008, when Harrah’s Entertainment and ESPN made the decision to televise the Main Event FT live and the November Nine was born, we have not seen a female finalist.  This year proved elusive once again and we will not see our first ever female at the Rio on 8 November 2015.

Six female players were left standing at the start of Day 5, each with a dream of making history. Joining the likes of Maria Ho, Gaëlle Baumann and Leo Margets in the list of “last woman standing” was 28 year old american Kelly Minken. It’s a name that people are putting on their “watch out for” list. Like the writer, Kelly juggles a very demanding legal career with her love of poker and is working incredibly hard to complete her rise through the poker ranks.  It turned out to be a very happy World Series for Kelly, who added a 29th finish in the Main Event for $211,821, having already taken home a 38th spot and $29,463 in Event #16 (Millionaire Maker) and two other smaller cashes. She finished the series joint 1st on number of WSOP cashes.

2015 National Championship

Last, but by no means least, an honorary mention to New York pro, Loni Harwood. After taking a year out of poker for personal reasons, she returned to Vegas in 2015 with a vengeance. In her breakout year, 2013, she cashed in 6 WSOP events, made 3 FTs and one one bracelet.  This was, at the time, the most that any female had ever won in one WSOP. This summer she added the National Championship title to her armoury.

The other side?

So what did your writer achieve in Vegas this summer? Nothing I am afraid to report - just one small cash in one of the Daily Deepstacks that they run throughout the Series (sigh). I am a pretty fearless player, but for some reason I seem to choke in WSOP events. It is something that I am working on with my coach. The trip saver proved to be an Emerald Road and a pair of Ruby Slippers - I made more money playing on Wizard of Oz themed slot machines with a rum and cherry coke in my hand than I did playing poker. Skills.

Until next time.

• edited August 2015
    UKPC

And so it's here. The 2015 UKPC 6-Max Championship. 

I'll be heading down to DTD tomorrow morning to start my journey to being crowned the first ever UKPC female champion. 

I'll keep an eye on how the girls are doing! 

Rail us on!! 
  • edited August 2015
    Great read! Thank you.
  • edited August 2015
    2015 UKPC 6-Max

The dust is settling on DTD, as the 2015 UKPC 6-Max comes to an end. And what a festival.

Much has already been said about the results, the coverage and the wonderful job that the Sky Poker crew did of hosting what has become one of the most prestigious events in the UK Poker calendar. One comment I read this week was how impressed people were that we managed to smash the guarantees across the board; no mean feat given the absentees clearly caused by school holidays, vacations and EPT Barcelona. A collective pat on the back is needed all round I feel.

So how did we do?

High Roller

From what I can see from the coverage of the High Roller, we appear to have had zero female entrants. Sadly, obviously, this resulted in zero cashes. I am interested to see what the figures overall are in High Roller events and it is something I am going to keep an eye out for - I can only really think of Selbst who plays the headline High Roller events? Watch this space so to speak.

£250k Main Event

Within the 514 entries in the Main Event were approximately 14 ladies.  That, if my maths is correct, is around 3% of the field. Now if you believe the reports that we hear in the poker press, this represents a bang-on average from open field tournaments. The figures from the UKPC are only approximate (as they are based on a review of press coverage and a guess when it comes to names that can be of either gender), but it is promising - it would have been a huge disappointment to get any less than the average.

Just five of those ladies made Day 2, and only one of those hit the cash. The last lady standing was Joanne Ramsden (a personal friend of the writer), who added a min-cash to (amongst other results) an 11th place finish in the 2014 UKPC and a 4th place in the GUKPT Cardiff just a couple of months ago.

Mini

I am struggling to get hold of data to analyse entries from the Mini, but I do know that just one lady cashed; Melissa Price. 

Team Bromley

No cashes for your Bromley of the 023 variety I am afraid, but I had an awesome festival and feel like I played my absolute best poker. The downswing continues, but the turning point is just around the corner. I am sure of it.

It was also lovely to meet so many faces and especially those Sky Poker ladies who travelled down; Irish Rose, AMarie (Mother) and DarkAngel, who we all met for the first time, to name a few.

Until next time!
  • edited August 2015
    And just as I write this ^^ I see that Boeree has FT'd the EPT Barcelona €25k High Roller!

You're welcome for the run-good passed on Liv!

I'll be watching this one closely today to see if we can get a Brit and a female blink!! 

B
  • edited August 2015

Lovely read, Natalie, thank you.

Was wonderful to see you & The Boy last week.

As you so often get stereotyped (all girlies are nits), tell us about the Q-Q pre-flop fold....... 

• edited August 2015
    Lovely read, Natalie, thank you. Was wonderful to see you & The Boy last week. As you so often get stereotyped (all girlies are nits), tell us about the Q-Q pre-flop fold.......   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm about as likely to fold QQ pre as I am walking past Chanel without going in! 
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Pocket Queens : I'm about as likely to fold QQ pre as I am walking past Chanel without going in! 
    Posted by Bromley023
    If memory serves correct, it was not YOU that folded it - it was your opponent.

And your (5 bet pre) hand was?.......
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Pocket Queens : If memory serves correct, it was not YOU that folded it - it was your opponent. And your (5 bet pre) hand was?.......
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think it was only a 4bet that was required for the opponent to fold. I am more interested in the description of his face when you flipped over your hand!
  • edited August 2015
    Ahhhhh yes. Apologies, I had forgotten all about that. 

So I have just bust the Main and have tilt-reg'd the Mini (terrible strategy; not big and not clever kids).

We're 5-handed on my table and I open 7 9 of clubs UTG. 

Folds to the button, who 3-bets quite big (about 4x my open). Folds to me. 3-bet your button Sir? That's so 2010. Have this 4-bet right in your eye. 

He folds QQ. He states that I've obvs got AA. I show and smile sweetly. He was literally stunned (mouth fell open and everything). He defends this move to the table by declaring "How was I supposed to know that girls know how to 4-bet light".

It was probably all banter. But it was amusing all the same. 

Still, I got naff all through for the rest of the tournament!!!