You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Timing tells.

This hand serves no purpose, but I want to post it, so I think ill plonk it here.

Villian check called all streets, quite rapidly, then on the river, there was a fraction of a second  delay before the check .
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancehoudini444Small blind 100.00100.0010374.18Mr timing tell
Big blind 200.00300.0014417.91 Your hole cardsQK   WHO_IS_SHEFold    mumsieRaise 600.00900.0013073.74warner06Fold    EamoLegendFold    houdini444Fold    Mr timing tellCall 400.001300.0014017.91Flop  2108   Mr timing tellCheck    mumsieBet 650.001950.0012423.74Mr timing tellCall 650.002600.0013367.91Turn  K   Mr timing tellCheck    mumsieBet 1300.003900.0011123.74Mr timing tellCall 1300.005200.0012067.91River  9   Mr timing tellCheck    mumsieCheck    Mr timing tellShowJQ   mumsieMuckQK   Mr timing tellWinStraight to the King5200.00 17267.91

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Don't put too much stock in timing tells. A player with 12 tables will have different timings to a player with 2.

That being said, when you bet and a player calls really quickly - it's usually relative weakness because he's clearly not thinking about what he should do. 

Also, when a player checks to you rapidly it can mean strength - as in, he can't wait to see what you do.

Just another example of the general rule of "weak when strong, strong when weak"

As far as this hand goes, played perfectly - maybe go a little bigger on turn but thats nitpicking. 
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Timing tells.:
    Don't put too much stock in timing tells. A player with 12 tables will have different timings to a player with 2. That being said, when you bet and a player calls really quickly - it's usually relative weakness because he's clearly not thinking about what he should do.  Also, when a player checks to you rapidly it can mean strength - as in, he can't wait to see what you do. Just another example of the general rule of "weak when strong, strong when weak" ***** As far as this hand goes, played perfectly - maybe go a little bigger on turn but thats nitpicking. 
    Posted by PRees
    I would agree with that generally.

Villain may be thinking about it, yes, but he my just as likely be mulling an awkward decision on another table, a flakey wifi, regging for a new game, not paying attention, or having a quick wee.

As to "quick checks", again, I agree. I often pre-determine that I am going to check for any number of reasons. It does not always signal weakness (or strength) - it just means I am playing this hand a particular way.

Online timing tells are - imo - much over-rated, & it can be dangerous to rely too much on them.

• edited August 2015
    Whilst you don't want to overly rely on timing tells you still want to take it into consideration. Quick checks are mostly signs of weakness but sometimes they can be of strength. A short delay and a check on the river after 2 quick checks can often be someone that has rivered a strong hand like in the case of OP here. I think given we only have TP then using this added information to check behind rather than go for thin value is completely fine. However, were we to have 2 pair or better I think I would still lead with a bet - but am fully prepared to fold to a raise if it comes in.