You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker Community FA Cup HU competition signup thread (Please Close thread mods)

edited September 2015 in Poker Chat

If you get this idea to float, & I'm sure Sky Poker may be able to come up with a little prize or two.

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Entries are now CLOSED

Well this seems to be a goer so please sign up here if you want to join in.

It will be a community run NLHE HU knock out comp with a random FA cup style draw.

Please note this is not officially endorsed by Skypoker and Skypoker dont run it. Prizes may be offered if we all play nice and keep it fun and sociable which is definitely the intention.

Rounds 1 to 3 will be 1st to 2 wins.

Rounds 4 to 6 will be 1st to 3 wins.

Semis and Final will be 1st to 5 wins.

All matches @ £1 HU SNGs to keep it inclusive. Note that is a maximum outlay of £2.10 and only then if you are unfortunate enough to lose 2-0 in the opening round. 

The scars of defeat however could run deep, if say you were knocked out by RicOrford doing a "RonnieRadford" you could be scarred for life or at the very least forum cannon fodder for a few months. Now even I am too young to remember that from 1st time around but it gets shown every year as one of the famous cup shocks.

Did you know that "that goal" wasn't the winner though? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30521200

Obviously the number of entrants will dictate the number of rounds but in an ideal world we would get between 129 and 256 entrants which would mean we could hopefull start in October with the first round to be completed by the weekend of the 1st round proper (7th November) and have each round completed according to the FA Cup schedule with the final on or before the 21st May.

So each FA cup weekend will be a reminder that you need to complete your fixture if you haven't already with the fixture being playable at any point between draw dates.

First round properSaturday 7 November 2015
    Second round properSaturday 5 December 2015
    Third round properSaturday 9 January 2016
    Fourth round properSaturday 30 January 2016
    Fifth round properSaturday 20 February 2016
    Sixth round properSaturday 12 March 2016
    Semi-finalSaturday 23 April 2016 & Sunday 24 April 2016
    FinalSaturday 21 May 2016

Tikay has already entered and nominated Richard - any more presenters/analysts/guest pros or ambassadors all welcome!

I am sure there is plenty to think about in terms of rules - conditions for making sure fixtures are fulfilled and who defaults if they aren't etc. But by not starting until October we have plenty of time to sort that out.

Please post here if you are interested (wont ask for commitment until nearer the time) or have any thoughts around rules/organisation etc.

The hope is to keep it fun, simple and largely self-regulating.

PS I'm in and claim the number 1 for the draw - Phantom66

In so far...

1. Phantom66
    2. Tikay1
    3. Pompeynic
    4. RicOrford (confirmed!)
    5. Flashflush
    6. mumsie
    7. Shakinaces
    8. Itsover4u (early ante post favourite)
    9. mkgunnner
    10. Snuffer
    11. jordz16
    12. pomfrittes
    13. goldenballz
    14. Spinky6108
    15. FeelGroggy
    16. MrJoeBlogs
    17. Lambert180
    18. rspca12
    19. Boxster
    20. LmfaoAllin
    21. churchy18
    22. gerardirl
    23. VespaPX
    24. ajmilton (joint ante post favourite)
    25. Brrrrrrr
    26. hhyftrftdr
    27. Hotwheals
    28. bluffulot6
    29. CATCH-22
    30. YoungUn
    31. jimb0d1
    32. Ice_Tiger
    33. MAXALLY
    34. GRINTLER
    35. rainman397
    36. poppy765
    37. DOHHHHHHH
    38. mondo1985
    39. Dollie
    40. DESERTTURK
    41. waller02
    42. chiggypig
    43. lundie
    44. lisa1962
    45. aok25
    46. Sir-Gary
    47. jonnyrkd
    48. omm
    49. LARSON7
    50. liamboi11
    51. IrishRose
    52. MilitantG
    53. GELDY (Team Dagg)
    54. Essexphil
    55. Darkangel7
    56. citylawyer
    57. Enut
    58. HENDRIK62
    59. wynne1938
    60. lonesome
    61. neil1970
    62. lyonsbob06
    63. FLASHJONNY
    64. F_Ivanovic
    65. Mikeycb
    66. Bromley023
    67. bromley04
    68. ficino
    69. RLT16
    70. WAOOGA
    71. imber
    72. timeforbed
    73. CraigSG1
    74. GGGGCCCC
    75. Wilhelm
    76. GCDF
    77. Jac35
    78. day4eire76
    79. aussie09
    80. ellro84
    81. james84
    82. GREGSTER
    83. Ranners
    84. StayOrGo
    85. bbMike
    86. _kagawa_
    87. SUPERSNEDD

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for FA Cup style HU competition:
    If you get this idea to float, & I'm sure Sky Poker may be able to come up with a little prize or two.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Does that mean you are in? 

1. Phantom66
    2. Tikay1

Prizes would be great - over to the forum to show the suits it's worth it.
  • edited August 2015

Do not get to play HU but this could be fun.
    I am in

• edited August 2015

Yes, I'd play it.

Prizes? Yes, over to the Community, if enough enter, & make it a fun comp in the right spirit (plenty of fun, go easy on the bickering) I'm sure Sky Poker will make some prizes available. 

May 2016 seems a longgggg way down the line, if you get my drift, but it'd build to a cracking climax.

Presumably you'd want a sacrificial lamb, too. I know just the chap.

• edited August 2015
    1. Phantom66
    2. Tikay1
    3. Pompeynic
    4. Reserved for RicOrford
  • edited August 2015
    Yes, I'd play it. Prizes? Yes, over to the Community, if enough enter, & make it a fun comp in the right spirit (plenty of fun, go easy on the bickering) I'm sure Sky Poker will make some prizes available.  May 2016 seems a longgggg way down the line, if you get my drift, but it'd build to a cracking climax. Presumably you'd want a sacrificial lamb, too. I know just the chap.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    This!

I am happy to run this BUT that doesn't mean getting bombarded with emails to adjudicate over - play nice or dont play.
  • edited August 2015
    This is a good fun idea that's been tried a few times before. It's an absolute ball ache to get everyone to play within a certain time. Good luck with it though if it goes ahead.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for FA Cup style HU competition : This! I am happy to run this BUT that doesn't mean getting bombarded with emails to adjudicate over - play nice or dont play.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Well you will be running it, not Sky Poker, so you make the rules & set the tone.

What I'm saying - & I know we are of one mind here - is that Sky Poker won't want to be associated with it, or give prizes, if it's all going to get silly & argumentative.

I'm sure you will be fine.

• edited August 2015
    This is a good fun idea that's been tried a few times before. It's an absolute ball ache to get everyone to play within a certain time. Good luck with it though if it goes ahead.
    Posted by FlashFlush

That is my only concern really.

It's why I am suggesting a fairly long timescale with only a small amount of time and money required to fulfil a fixture.

If anyone has any rules that work well - eg I have seen this sort of thing run at golf clubs where there is a simple protocol around offering dates/times for play - could they please post here or PM me?

Is that an "expression of interest" Flash? 

• edited August 2015
    Im in if its holdem.

Never played them other Heinz plo games.
  • edited August 2015
    Im in if its holdem. Never played them other Heinz plo games.
    Posted by mumsie
    Yes NLHE - In the spirit of keeping it simple and inclusive as most ploppers play or played HE but not the other way round.

I toyed with the idea of letting the home team pick the game format each time, could help with giant-killings if a Blyth Spartans like me came up against a Chelsae and we could nomiate hyper PLO8. But then nah - keep it simples.

I'll edit OP to be clear on this.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for FA Cup style HU competition : Yes NLHE - In the spirit of keeping it simple and inclusive as most ploppers play or played HE but not the other way round. I toyed with the idea of letting the home team pick the game format each time, could help with giant-killings if a Blyth Spartans like me came up against a Chelsae and we could nomiate hyper PLO8. But then nah - keep it simples. I'll edit OP to be clear on this.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Something like that to benefit a home draw would be great lol

Would be up for joining as one of the minnow teams in the draw if it gets going.
  • edited August 2015
    I would love to enter as I play almost exclusively heads up. (this needs to be made speed)
  • edited August 2015
    We should get Sky bet to price up some odds!
  • edited August 2015
    I would love to enter as I play almost exclusively heads up. (this needs to be made speed)
    Posted by Itsover4u

You are in (now updating entrants in OP)

Speed?

What do people think about that?

• edited August 2015
  • edited August 2015
    I say let the player drawn at home be the one to choose the structure,.. im sure if you are drawn against a heads up reg then you would want to pick hyper to reduce their edge. and if you are a heads up pro im sure you would want the normal structure to reduce the chance of a cupset!
  • edited August 2015

I am in please. Like the idea of the home side picking format/structure.
  • edited August 2015
    I say let the player drawn at home be the one to choose the structure,.. im sure if you are drawn against a heads up reg then you would want to pick hyper to reduce their edge. and if you are a heads up pro im sure you would want the normal structure to reduce the chance of a cupset!
    Posted by jordz16

This is a fantastic idea
  • edited August 2015
    Posted by jordz16
    +1
  • edited August 2015
    Yeah go for it, take the question mark away. 

I like the home advantage rule as well. To keep it inclusive stick to nl/pl holdem and home player picks the structure.

I'd say leave it for the home team to arrange a time/date (giving maybe 3 options) if there's no response then you have to give a bye.
  • edited August 2015
    Brilliant,

who do I play first ? And when?

whoever my opponent is, we'll agree a timeslot.
  • edited August 2015
    Really like the idea that the 'home player' chooses the format of the match.

Stick me in please.
  • edited August 2015
    Sorry Mumsie, you'll have to wait a while yet. However you can always arrange a few pre-season friendlies.

Thinking about the scheduling....

1st Round proper is 7 Nov.

Therefore I think all 1st round games should be finished by that weekend so that the draw can be made the following Monday and fixtures complete by the weekend of the 2nd round etc.. up to the Final on 21st May.

Therefore I think the draw for the 1st round should be made no later than the weekend of 24th October when the 4th qualifying round is made. If we get a full 256 signups earlier then we can start earlier as obviously its the 1st round that has the most fixtures to get through.

I'm open for some sort of home advantage re game setting as long it's not too broad a remit - remember that the "big teams" can get drawn at home too and the simpler the rules the better for all.

Maybe as per the FA cup the semis and finals should be neutral with no home team advantage and maybe up them to 1st to 5 wins? By then there may be some added prizes so they should be earned.

Happy to let the debate flow for a while and see if there is a natural consensus on any points before finalising a set of rules by the end of September.
  • edited August 2015
    Great idea in please Phantom66
  • edited August 2015
    Sounds good, I'd be up for it
  • edited August 2015
    Will the draw be televised?

• edited August 2015
    You need to leave as long as possible for week one as there will be more games to be played. You could make up the time later on. A weekend is definitely not long enough
  • edited August 2015
    Great idea Phantom, I'd have a go at this.