You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM Slog Blog!

edited September 2015 in Poker Chat
So, some of you will know me. After having two succesful challenge blogs I am starting a 3rd but this time in a discipline I am unfamiliar with.

I started out by playing SnG's and I know I have strong game in that format but rarely play it, mainly because I love the thrill of an MTT win. And cash is a long work in progress. 

Ive had a bad time of it of late, I lost my job, a long time booked holiday and my Nana died on my birthday all around the same time. I ran badly, played worse and generally slipped into bad habits. I shouldn't have played but thats the beauty of hindsight. 

Thankfully I've rode the wave and now Im more determined than ever. I've got a new job and some how managed to keep my head afloat financially. Just barely! I always bounce back stronger so here goes. A new attidtude and a new beginning.

I have decided to test myself by seeing how I do at a new format. It was HU or DYM's and DYM's have won out mainly due to my SnG history.

I am aiming to play 200 at the very least. After a few practice tables and some advice on another thread I have decided that the minimum will be £2.25 but I will start at £3.30 - £5.50. I will continue to play other forms but I will keep my DYM results seperate so no starting BR as such just a running total of my current DYM state.

Good luck me! See you at the tables fellow DYM'ers!

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Starting table:

Level       Games played              W        L          W%         Cost        Return           Profit

£2.25  -             6            -         5     -   1         83.33       13.50       24.00           10.50

£3.30  -             4            -         4     -   0          100         13.20       24.00           10.80

£5.50  -             0            -         0     -   0            0             0              0                  0

Total   -              10          -         9     -   1         90.00       26.70       48.00           21.30
  • edited August 2015
    Hi Craig good luck with your dym challenge.Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck due to outside forces couldn't have been easy.I like dym's due mainly to the speed of them (i get bored easily) MTT are ok but get fed up with playing for 5 hours suffering a bad beat and getting knocked out just short of the money and as for cash i can lose a whole weeks bankroll in 10 minutes playing cash.I read john connors blog (i must read it again ) and by following it i ran my bankroll up to £250 which for me is unheard of (i'v given most of it back now mainly because i played games with to high a buy-in and therefore better skill level )but thats fine i only play for fun so good luck and keep blogging
  • edited August 2015
    Cheers mate, I read that blog too and I found it very enlightening. I will be reading it again. 

As for MTT's, pefect example tonight. Ive played real well with very, very little and after almost 2 hours just busted. While on same table had a very fishy player call everything and hit every hand and take 7 heads! But, thems the breaks. I played well, got unlucky. Have to move on.

So, finished for tonight. Amazing start, totally unsustainable I know but a good cushion for any run-bad. Actually, thats not right. I'll, explain.

One of the best things I have heard lately is this statement - or words to this effect:

"Money won or lost is not your money. Your actual win rate is your money. So no matter if you finish your session 10 BI's up or down, all that matters is your long term win rate."

Example; if over a large sample you are winning £2/hour (for the sake of argument and to keep things simple) then if you log off after 5 hours and find yourself £50 up you are in fact only £10 up. That other £40 will get absorbed by variance. The same goes for if you log off and have lost £50. You still made £10 because over the long run you are a proven winner.

Food for thought.
  • edited August 2015
    Played 2 this morning, one started well and played solidly for the cash. 2nd was my hardest to date, lots of limping and no hands, got down to fumes three times and managed to get back each time. Played 6 handed very deep and then 5 for a long time but managed to find spots and cash! Bonus!

Level       Games played              W        L          W%         Cost        Return           Profit

£2.25  -             6            -         5     -   1         83.33       13.50       24.00           10.50

£3.30  -             6            -         6     -   0          100         19.80       36.00           16.20

£5.50  -             0            -         0     -   0            0             0              0                  0

Total   -              12          -         11    -   1         91.66       33.30       60.00           26.70
  • edited August 2015
    gl craig,i lost me nan a couple of weeks ago and now my brother is seriously ill ive been dwelling and thinking about things and  life,so choose to really focus on my game strangely it seems to be working weather its just some run good i dont know but i had my best result last night for about six years even tho it was a sick exit on the ft in the ME i went to bed happy
    stay focused m8 and things will work out well gl
  • edited August 2015
    Sorry to hear about your Nana and your job Craig, this is a good place to focus though :)
    Good luck! I've no doubt you'll smash it, as long as you don't get bored (which happens to me after a while on the dyms)
    Run good x
  • edited August 2015
    Good luck Craig
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks a lot you three. 

Well, so far so good. Too good to be honest, played a further three more £3.30 DYM's and cashed in all three to make it 5/5 today and 14/15 so far.
  • edited August 2015
    gl craig. DYMs are a good way to chill
  • edited September 2015

Bit of a dip of late, not played much and had my expected run of bad luck. Still ok about it as got it in ahead most of the time so thats all you can ask. Only two games I wasnt happy with, made some basic errors. Some coolers but I knew better at the time so need to stay with my reads.

10% of my target games played, will try to up the rate. Maybe even have a DYM only day.

£3.30  -             14          -         8     -   6           57          46.20       48.00           1.80

Total   -              20          -         13    -   7          65         59.70       72.00           12.30