You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Comments

• edited March 2016
    I made another video last night.

Here it is if anyone would like to watch it.

• edited March 2016
    Very good watch sir enjoyed the way you spoke about bankroll management do you not worry your opponents would watch and change the way they play against you
  • edited March 2016
    There is a story there weecheeze, ill tell you at the tables one day :D
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: My latest video:
    Very good watch sir enjoyed the way you spoke about bankroll management do you not worry your opponents would watch and change the way they play against you
    Posted by weecheez1
    I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm plenty well rolled, I just don't keep huge amounts on poker clients.

In case I didn't explain it well in the video, here is how my money management works.

I keep £600-£800 on the site (slightly more right now due to Cheltenham being kind to me). I don't need more than 12-16 buyins for my highest games because I'm not high volume and never have more than maybe £400 spread across the tables.

I then have an e-wallet with another 12-16 buyins so I can move money around easily (I play on other sites too from time to time) and then I have another 20 buyins in a bank account that is purely for poker. When money leaves that account, it never returns.

My deal with the wife is that I ever need to take money from our joint account to play poker (ie I have lost my roll) I have to stop playing to supplement my income and get a full time job.

So, my net roll fluctuates between £2k-£2.5k usually, it can sometimes drop below that of course if I have just made a withdrawal back to the minimum and then lose a little but I mix stakes, so for £50nl, I'm on the borderline of being properly rolled, I'm fine for £40nl and slightly over-rolled for £30nl.

I'm not sure how that can be used against me. I don't feel like I'm scared money at any limit and the times I do feel vulnerable, I'll just play the lower tables until I'm over it.
  • edited March 2016

Hi on,

weecheez was not being critical - he never disses anyone ever, he's a solid gold nice guy.

What he was saying was that because you produce Videos, do you not worry that your opponents will get a better handle on your play?

As to your BRM, I've not seen too many as logical & sensible as yours, & I'm sure cheezy agrees with that.
  • edited March 2016
    Yep, I'm sure he wasn't being critical, I just wasn't sure what he meant, so I answered the question I thought he was asking :)

I'm sure I do give up some information about my approach which can be used against me but I enjoy making the videos and some people seem to enjoy watching them and retaining at least some of the fun element of poker is very important to me.

I don't ever want to be one of those guys that ends up hating the game because I have removed all of the fun elements of the game. I enjoy chatting to people at the tables who have seen my videos. There is precious little chat at online poker tables n modern poker, so retainig just a sliver of the social aspect has some value to me that is worth giving up a small percentage of my hourly rate for.

I haven't always been an angel in the chatbox. I can sometimes overstep the mark when I'm trying to exaggerate how upset I am by a bad beat or whatever but I'm working on cutting that out, as I'm not even sure anyone falls for that nonsense anyway and going forward (aside from playfully needling regs) I intend to set a fine example of chatbox etiquette.

I have never really been a Sky Poker regular despite having the account for nine years but I've put most of my play on here this month and I have really enjoyed it. It's been the best poker experience I have had for a long time, so if I intend to stick around, it's about time I started making friends with some people :)

• edited March 2016

This is a lovely paragraph.......

"I don't ever want to be one of those guys that ends up hating the game because I have removed all of the fun elements of the game. I enjoy chatting to people at the tables who have seen my videos. There is precious little chat at online poker tables n modern poker, so retaining just a sliver of the social aspect has some value to me that is worth giving up a small percentage of my hourly rate for."

Honest to God, I'm sure a lot of players have lost sight of why we play this game - it's (for 99% of us, & the rest can look after themselves), a hobby, a recreation, a relaxing game where we can spend some time away from work, & life's stresses & worries. Read this Forum - or any poker Forum, come to that - & you'd never believe it. It's not life & death, it's not family, it's not a time to look for aggro, it's our hobby. Can you imagine someone following a hobby where all they did was moan & groan, where they refuse to talk to their contemporaries in case it gives the game away somehow? 
  • edited March 2016

This is good, too.

"I have never really been a Sky Poker regular despite having the account for nine years but I've put most of my play on here this month and I have really enjoyed it. It's been the best poker experience I have had for a long time, so if I intend to stick around, it's about time I started making friends with some people :)"

All around us, Online Poker Sites are shutting up shop, moving networks, struggling to retain player interest. Sky Poker, for all it's silly little glitches - & there are tons of them - is a grand place to play, & looks after it's regulars - big & small - better than any other site I've experienced.

Of course it could, & should, be better. No argument, that's a hands up job. It's pretty good though, on balance, & the player base is populated by some genuinely lovely people.  

• edited March 2016
    This is good, too. "I have never really been a Sky Poker regular despite having the account for nine years but I've put most of my play on here this month and I have really enjoyed it. It's been the best poker experience I have had for a long time, so if I intend to stick around, it's about time I started making friends with some people :)" All around us, Online Poker Sites are shutting up shop, moving networks, struggling to retain player interest. Sky Poker, for all it's silly little glitches - & there are tons of them - is a grand place to play, & looks after it's regulars - big & small - better than any other site I've experienced. Of course it could, & should, be better. No argument, that's a hands up job. It's pretty good though, on balance, & the player base is populated by some genuinely lovely people.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    To be frank, the software was the thing that kept me from becoming a more regular player for such a long time. That now, is a good selling point for me because it definitely keeps plenty of really good players from swamping the site.

The longer I play poker, the more I learn as a player that we need to be careful what we wish for.

Stars is a prime example of that. Back in the day, players asked for faster and faster deals, they jumped all over the ability to mass table with ease and finally, they were 'blessed' with zoom, which is a horrible bastardisation of the game we play.

Sky Poker, for me, is real poker. There is a healthy mix of solid players, recreational players and flat out gamblers just having a blast. That is a pretty old school view that gets a very negative reception when aired on some of the big messageboards. It's taken me longer than it should have to appreciate what Sky has to offer but I have a hard time thinking of a scenario that would take me back to the sites I've spent most of my poker life on.

I guess the only thing would be if Sky ever introduced fast fold poker because IMO, that has been and continus to be the most damaging thing to happen to the game of online poker.
  • edited March 2016
    Hi Don I am very new to online poker and don't play anywhere else the thing is I tend to ask a lot of questions post hands and generally just try to get involved I love poker the bigger players like yourself facinate me the game looks easy but as I have found out there is so much more to it than just looking at cards the  last three or four weeks my head has been all over the place due to ongoing health issues and poker is the only thing keeping me sane gl to you sir and I look forward to your next video multi tabling respect
  • edited March 2016
    Hi Don I am very new to online poker and don't play anywhere else the thing is I tend to ask a lot of questions post hands and generally just try to get involved I love poker the bigger players like yourself facinate me the game looks easy but as I have found out there is so much more to it than just looking at cards the  last three or four weeks my head has been all over the place due to ongoing health issues and poker is the only thing keeping me sane gl to you sir and I look forward to your next video multi tabling respect
    Posted by weecheez1

Good luck with your health problems. Having something to take your mind off them for a few hours at a time can be a nice distraction.

It's a great game and asking lots of questions is a great way to get better quickly. If you see anything n the videos you want to ask about, just leave a message in the comments section, I never fail to reply to comments.

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: My latest video : To be frank, the software was the thing that kept me from becoming a more regular player for such a long time. That now, is a good selling point for me because it definitely keeps plenty of really good players from swamping the site. The longer I play poker, the more I learn as a player that we need to be careful what we wish for. Stars is a prime example of that. Back in the day, players asked for faster and faster deals, they jumped all over the ability to mass table with ease and finally, they were 'blessed' with zoom, which is a horrible bastardisation of the game we play. Sky Poker, for me, is real poker. There is a healthy mix of solid players, recreational players and flat out gamblers just having a blast. That is a pretty old school view that gets a very negative reception when aired on some of the big messageboards. It's taken me longer than it should have to appreciate what Sky has to offer but I have a hard time thinking of a scenario that would take me back to the sites I've spent most of my poker life on. I guess the only thing would be if Sky ever introduced fast fold poker because IMO, that has been and continus to be the most damaging thing to happen to the game of online poker.
    Posted by The--Don
    Can you explain why please.  Surely zoom is a much better deal for recreational players than the regular tables on there as regs can use scripts to get the weakest players to play against were as zoom is more of a level playing field. Curious as to why you think its so bad?
  • edited March 2016

Hi Don/Regi

Do you have any plans to bring back your twitch stream?

I also saw on twitter you had started a weight loss challenge, are you still going with it? How you doing?

Cogratulations on the bookie bashing :)

• edited March 2016
    So, OP calls Zoom "bastardisation" of the game while being a well-known bumhunter on Sky. What's more legitimate - what's better for the recreationals - what's a less intimidating form of poker - bumhunting weak players, or joining a large player pool where you could be on the same table as 5 regulars, or 5 recreationals, or 4 regulars and 1 recreational? It seems clear to me but I guess some people are always going to be deluded. 

There's absolutely no problem with preferring a certain game over another, but please leave out the "real poker" nonsense.
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: My latest video : Can you explain why please.  Surely zoom is a much better deal for recreational players than the regular tables on there as regs can use scripts to get the weakest players to play against were as zoom is more of a level playing field. Curious as to why you think its so bad?
    Posted by bearlyther

Zoom allows the best players to multiply themselves in a very convenient manner and alleviates a lot of the disadvantages of traditional mass tabling. This allows regs to annhiliate recreational players. In games where regulars can have huge winrates, weaker players are able to get a piece of the action too, which creates an environment where players can make their deposits last longer.

If a player has a winrate of -10bb/100 deposits one buyin and plays one zoom table, he's on the rail in four hours (in theory). The same player probably wouldn't be a -10bb player at reg tables due to the games being softer in general and even if he remained a -10bb player playing one table, he could make his buyin last up to 4x longer (in theory).

This is pretty much what happens in zoom. The sites make the most money, then maybe the top 5% of regs take most of what is left, leaving a bunch of break even regs propping the games chasing the dream that they might on day be top 5% of the pool.

I have watched lots of zoom as low as $5nl and the games, even that low are full of hardcore mass volume players battering each other whilst stars rakes the game to death. It's a truly terrible option for the vast majority of nanostakes players and that is why you see people posting graphs over huge samples with them barely making a cent whilst having pretty respectable stats given the limit they're at.

• edited March 2016
    Hi Don/Regi Do you have any plans to bring back your twitch stream? I also saw on twitter you had started a weight loss challenge, are you still going with it? How you doing? Cogratulations on the bookie bashing :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Twitch was fun but comitting to a schedule is hard to maintain and if you don't stick to a schedule its hard to gain a following so I have shelved it for now. If I worked a job that had regular hours I might do it again but I work shifts as a part time support worker and i barely know what I'm working on a weekly basis.

The weight loss is going moderately. I need to pull my finger out quickly if I'm to get near my goal of losing 50lb by August.

Cheltenham was awesome. Ended up £450 in profit, which is beyond my wildest expectations :)

• edited March 2016
    So, OP calls Zoom "bastardisation" of the game while being a well-known bumhunter on Sky. What's more legitimate - what's better for the recreationals - what's a less intimidating form of poker - bumhunting weak players, or joining a large player pool where you could be on the same table as 5 regulars, or 5 recreationals, or 4 regulars and 1 recreational? It seems clear to me but I guess some people are always going to be deluded.  There's absolutely no problem with preferring a certain game over another, but please leave out the "real poker" nonsense.
    Posted by percival09

Game selection has been a part of poker since it's conception. It only became something to be sneered at post Black Friday and it still makes no sense to me that it's a practice that is looked down upon.

Why was Doyle Brunson driving around the South with a gun? Why did every big TV cash game ever aired always have a healthy number of businessmen? Why did the nosebleed games dry up once Guy and some others stopped playing?

Even now, at the highest stakes online, the games don't run without a soft spot. Playing regular tables and game selecting well is much closer to 'real poker' than speed poker and given that it's much easier to find good reg tables than good speed pools on all sites that host speed poker games, I think its a fair assumption that speed poker isn't particularly popular with the weakest players.

EDIT

Also, in what speed pools can you ever have a chance of bein randomly seated with five recreational players? Whenever I sweat anyone playing zoom, it feels like I see the player I'm sweating get dealt AA than I see them being dealt into a hand with a player that has a VPIP >30%!
  • edited March 2016
    Good watch Don

I did watch a a few sessions when you were on Twitch when we were on same table and was interesting to see someone elses take on my play

You say 888 and Unibet are softer games than Stars. Was just wondering where you would rank the Ipoker sites in this list?

GL with the vids

FWIW I can,t stand Zoom myself. A big part of poker for me is trying to read other players at the table. Its impossible when your changing tables every hand. How do you know if someones on tilt? 
  • edited March 2016
    iPoker regular tables are comparable with 888 but the speed pools there are weird. For example, 5nl runs, €10nl doesn't, €20nl does, €50 doesn't then €100 runs so it's hard to make your way gradually up the limits there and they have the naughty scam of running games in multiple currencies so they can skim who knows how much with rounding on frequent currency conversions.

I wouldn't play on ipoker. They used to have some great under the table rakeback deals years ago but they're drying up as small skins get absorbed by bigger skins.
  • edited April 2016
    I've made another video. This time, I review a session I played with my buddy who also plays on Sky.

Feel free to comment, criticise, call me a fish :)
  • edited January 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsVNvke3JlM

Some hands I played early in the morning. 

The games were outrageous, with all kinds of crazy action. Shame there isn't a better way to look over the hands. If Sky could ever create a hand replayer, it would be the nuts :)