You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKPC Tuition fees

edited August 2015 in Poker Chat
What a great weekend, thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, particular thanks to Neil and Tikay for the opportunity. I didn't approach you guys in person as you were both very busy, I thought perhaps today would be a good chance as the place would be quieter, but my friend's late exit from the main saw us on the M1 by 11pm. 

For anyone interested I thought I would put pen to paper to talk through what was an incredibly educational weekend, it was a little brutal financially, but as they say you pay for your tuituion!

So how did things go poker wise:
after an hour or so, I turned top set in a 3bet pot, unfortunately btn had AQ and called my jam. (10 J 4 K board). 

Poker tournaments are a very strange thing psychologically, for all the while you are involved you have your sights set on first place money, for as long as you have a stack there is hope, after all someone has to win it right?! There aren't many situations in life where you can have that anticipation, that build up, that unlikely possibility, ripped away in seconds. Then again that is the beauty of it!

But I was happy with the bust, it only really bothers me when I feel I misplay a hand.. although common, that wasn't one of them. 

Clip 2.. 

I took my new 50k stack over to table 57, where 5 very solid players sat grinding for a few orbits. Oh great, looks like I have drawn one of the toughest day 1C tables. Everyone was clearly experienced live, very few multi way pots, people taking every spot. Really hard to gather any momentum.. the 6 of us traded blows until the last level of the day, Liamboi was opposite me nursing half a stack all day, it's a shame I didn't get to see how he would have played a 100BB stack, but the way he manouvered through the levels showed great composure and mental strength, well done to him. 

Table broke with 4 mins left in the day and 100k in front of me, avg was approx 130k.. Liamboi joked about spending 5 minutes trying to find our new seats, turns out it was more advice than a joke. 

I found myself raising 88 on the button to 6k, min clicked by a very aggro SB, fairly solid BB flats, I ship. SB insta folds. BB tanks (Just pass please and let me bag up avg stack)..tanks (Oh no he actually wants to call off with AJ or AQ, okay lets hope to win this flip)...tanksssssss (Oh no he really has a decision here, please pass 10s).. Calls with JJ. Fair enough, I should have flatted pre. Out.

I didn't realise how big that mistake was until I came back to play the mini on day 2 and saw the spot people were in, 90k at 4k/8k/500, anything could have happened. Oh well.

Fired a bullet in the mini, boring stuff, all in for 100k pot with AQ vs flush draw on Q hi, he turned A diamonds, no boat on the river. 

The second bullet was more interesting, I thought it made sense, but in hindsight very wreckless. 

2nd hand on table I am in the BB, after winning the previous pot from UTG (the bb that hand check raised the flop then passed to my flop 3bet). 

Folds round to SB who completes at 300/600/75. I make it 1k more. 
He tank calls. I feel he has any 2. 

Flop Q 7 2 rainbow. 
SB checks, I cbet approx 1/3 pot. 
He check raises to 4k. I tank for a little while as I don't feel as though he can raise for value here as he knows I am unlikely to have a hand on this flop. He has also just check raised then given up the previous hand. I never pass up on the opportunity for a levelling war when im in position. 
I 3bet the flop to 8.5k leaving 40k behind. 
He insta repops to 18k. 
I can literally see the guy sweating and his heart pounding, he was trying to stay still but the adrenaline wouldnt allow him to. he cannot have a hand now, he is repping a set but I was confident with my pre flop read that he didnt limp call 22/ 77 / QQ.
I flat (huge mistake- fold or ship!)to see a turn. Ks.
Board: Qs 7d 2h Ks. 
SB checks to me. I now should have pulled the trigger, but having picked up a little more equity I decided to pot control (mistake- shove!!), if I bluffed the turn it would have to be all in. 

Ace on the river. Qs 7d 2h Ks Ad. 
The Small Blind announces "ALL IN". 
I had a quick think back through the streets, I could not see how this shove was for value, I really think my line looks horrendously weak, I feel like if he had any equity like a 7, Q, K, or a rivered A, then he would have check hero called my shove. Then I sit there thinking about what I beat.. I came up with quite a lot of hands, then put my stack in. 

He insta flipped over J 3 off for J hi and announced "good call".. I'm a hero right!!  

Ermmmm no, I called with 10s 9s. I said to the chap "you're good". 
A very friendly seat 4 helpfully pointed out that J Q K A wasn't a straight and all I needed to do was turn my hand over to scoop a 100k+ pot. So I announced 10 hi, turned my hand over and we all had a laugh. I shook the guys hand in the SB as I really appreciated the hand. It was very raw. If he had turned over a set I would have had to re evaluate everything in poker. 

I decided not to play after that, the hand itself was too wreckless, winning tournament takes endurance, these high variance spots and levelling wars are okay in a cash game but unsustainable in an MTT when there are 50 other tables in play. A real bad exercise of judgement on my part. 

HOWEVER.
I woke up this morning in bed, my girlfriend was happy i was back early and bought up bacon rolls and orange juice in bed. I'm now just relaxing watching Chelsea West Brom and I have a stag do to Prague on Thursday.. Life is good! 

Great job Sky. 

Comments