You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

All in or All out

edited August 2015 in The Poker Clinic
The past few weeks i have been trying a few new strategys out and reading a few more posts in the poker clinic and not just in poker chat.
I have won some decent live comps in the past 10 years or more and i used to stick to a style that served me well.
If i was to unlock my sharkscope you would see that im down around 2k but reason i wont is because ive been ridaculed for it by players ive beat or donked out on anyway thats another story.
I have decided to play poker with the strategy that i used to rely on and its a few simple rules 

1.. Avoid all ins pre flop unless you have AA or kk and maybe qq
     i find i last longer this way..
2...Avoid all ins after the flop when i am big and/or got big draw
     i find that i scare people off with all ins after the flop and lose more when i call all ins pre.

I have won 2 tourneys
 £22 bh £500gtd.
£11 bh     1k gtd  
 and another 3 final table cashes in the last 10 days If someone could please add to this if they think they might use the same tricks or the complete opposite thanx

Comments

• edited August 2015
    In Response to All in or All out:
    The past few weeks i have been trying a few new strategys out and reading a few more posts in the poker clinic and not just in poker chat. I have won some decent live comps in the past 10 years or more and i used to stick to a style that served me well. If i was to unlock my sharkscope you would see that im down around 2k but reason i wont is because ive been ridaculed for it by players ive beat or donked out on anyway thats another story. I have decided to play poker with the strategy that i used to rely on and its a few simple rules  1.. Avoid all ins pre flop unless you have AA or kk and maybe qq      i find i last longer this way.. 2...Avoid all ins after the flop when i am big and/or got big draw      i find that i scare people off with all ins after the flop and lose more when i call all ins pre. I have won 2 tourneys  £22 bh £500gtd. £11 bh     1k gtd    and another 3 final table cashes in the last 10 days If someone could please add to this if they think they might use the same tricks or the complete opposite thanx
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    1. That is way too tight when you are getting shorter stacked... in cash or deep stack MTT play then sticking to AA/KK (maybe QQ/AK) has some merit in lower buy-in games. You'll just be getting blinded out all the time.

2. How big are we talking here?  As long as your bets are sensible in relation to the pot then I don't see why you'd not want to be getting it all-in with things like flopped top 2pr / set more often than not (unless board super wet or with specific player notes).  If you are currently flopping a set and shoving all in for 97bb when there is only 7.5bb in the middle then yes, don't get it all in quite so quickly :)

Congrats on the tourni wins though... seem like a decent player.  I've seen you at the cash tables a few times recently and hate being oop to you... Feels like I'm being sledgehammered with your bets at times!
  • edited August 2015
    wow thanx aces yeah man i been playing alot more cash lately up down and around to the same spot but ahead..lol

no ofcourse when i flop a set or top 2 i want to get it in,
    All im saying is that somtimes if they have a hand as good to call an all in they would prob raise b4 the river or on.
    We could do different tactics for different situations.
    But if im short stacked in atourney i can move all in with j10 if im taking a few blinds and surviving with any2 in matter of fact.

• edited August 2015
    i think that your strategy is way too tight and exploitable if your only getting it in with AA, KK and QQ pre, unless your talking about when your say 100bb deep. You won't win tournaments very often by playing tight, you might last longer than the average player but to it'll be very hard for you to win and seeing as all the money is in the top places this isn't very profitable.

Congratulations on recent results and do whatever your comfortable with or enjoy doing. But it's no coincidence that all the best players on the site, be it cash or MTT's, play aggressively!
  • edited August 2015
    yes agreed aggressive is my style and my favourite mode that i play.
    but just say theres 15 players left b4 i would call all ins with jj or qq but now i would rather flat or fold,
    so many times you see players going bust with ak aq jj qq i would rather see a flop kinda small ball style of poker 
  • edited August 2015
    Players always underestimate a fold..
    i used to but not any more theres always a better spot round the corner.
    thanks Groggy

• edited August 2015
    I've found that the more aggressive I've played and the more I've learnt about good spots to apply aggression   the better results I've achieved. When I used to play a tighter style I made less money.
  • edited August 2015
    You havent gone into much detail but it would appear that you base your strategy on getting aa lots. I understand the merits of small ball poker but not calling an all in with qq seems beyond tight and as mentioned above extremely exploitable.
  • edited August 2015
    If you need any more proof that playing aggressively is the way forward then look at matts sharkscope graph- he's one of the most aggro players on the site. You have to have reasons for your aggression though, spewing off and raising randomly won't earn you money!
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: All in or All out:
    yes agreed aggressive is my style and my favourite mode that i play. but just say theres 15 players left b4 i would call all ins with jj or qq but now i would rather flat or fold, so many times you see players going bust with ak aq jj qq i would rather see a flop kinda small ball style of poker 
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Seems like a way too linear approach to the game. A lot of spots are situational and player dependent, so whilst folding QQ vs someone might be the right fold, folding 99 vs someone else might be madness.

If you're at the business end of a tournament, the stack sizes often won't allow you to be too picky with solid starting hands like JJ and AQ. And AK is a monster the deeper you get in a tournament!

Folding QQ with 15 left seems way way too tight, generally speaking.
  • edited August 2015
    Yeah Mtt poker is all about making adjustments, those who adjust best and most quickly will inevitably be the most consistent winners, it would be great if there were certain rules we could stick by to guarantee winning money but unfortunately you really have to earn these Mtt wins... As H said every player is different, some players i can put on such a narrow range that its easy to fold monsters but other players are so unpredictable that I'll end up hero calling ultra light. My advice is to just absorb as much information as possible before making every decision and try and make sense of the line your opponent is taking.
  • edited August 2015
    Thanx for the feedback guys i stuck to my guns and flatted qq with only 1 raiser behind the next player had kings went all in i folded ace come on river i would have lost to both of em,
    Because of that play im still in the main 23 left fingers crossed
  • edited August 2015
    And i must add all i done in the past was be aggro its got me to 1st once in a blue moon, maybe my aggro is different to everyone elses.
    I ve been to mattbates sharkscope after you all mentioned it and onwards and upwards his graph reads.
    brilliant record m8

Also tonight super super agrression i played in the rewards freeroll and came 3rd and won a roller seat..
    but it was a freeroll
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: All in or All out:
    Thanx for the feedback guys i stuck to my guns and flatted qq with only 1 raiser behind the next player had kings went all in i folded ace come on river i would have lost to both of em, Because of that play im still in the main 23 left fingers crossed
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Pretty results orientated thinking really.

Did you fold QQ pre cos you had a solid read on one of them having better? Or did you fold cos you just wanted to ''stick to your guns?''

If its the former then fair enough. If its the latter, whilst every now and then it will mean you dodge AA/KK, just think of all the times you have villains crushed....
  • edited August 2015
    The latter .. 
    Out in 8th ...
    I shoved with tens i was the shortest stack lost against A10 he flopped str8 :(((((
  • edited August 2015
    unlucky, always sucks going deep in a main then going out before the money gets good!
    if you flatted queens and the guy with kings shipped over the open and a flat its a HUGE mistake to fold. even if he has kings this time. Not sure how deep you were but I'm reshoving pretty wide there if i see an open and a flat i assume the flatter is dead money very often. If i'm 15bb maybe any pair, KJ A8, AXs type stuff
  • edited August 2015
    yeah a bit gutted but in the same respect its my best finish in the main event as ive only really ben playing it for the past few weeks,I still won a  nice amount what with my bountys..actually won more than 5th place so really happy.
    Yes flatted with qq but if i hit my set then different story but i never and if i would have shoved i would of been out a few spots b4 the bubble