You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was i beat? did i put too much money in the pot?

edited August 2015 in The Poker Clinic
in a spin up game, 50p/£1, one player had obviously been playing a while and had bulit a large stack. Didnt see him bluff a lot but a lot of player were folding to him so cant really tell. felt like he had an overpair but could be wrong. any tips or info of how i could have played this better? thanks
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
options710Sit out    
bogacki05Sit out    
badtoadSmall blind £0.50£0.50£15.10
Vince_107Big blind £1.00£1.50£357.10
 Your hole cards
  • J

jakeusRaise £2.00£3.50£92.65
FITF3Fold    
badtoadFold    
Vince_107Raise £6.00£9.50£351.10
jakeusCall £5.00£14.50£87.65
Flop

Vince_107Bet £8.00£22.50£343.10
jakeusCall £8.00£30.50£79.65
Turn

• J

Vince_107Bet £17.00£47.50£326.10
jakeusRaise £34.00£81.50£45.65
Vince_107Call £17.00£98.50£309.10
River

Vince_107Bet £98.50£197.00£210.60
jakeusFold    
Vince_107Muck    
Vince_107Win £96.70 £307.30
Vince_107Return £98.50£1.80£405.80

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Turn seems like a good card to flat on and take it to a river
  • edited August 2015
    Dont like call pre but i'm probably wrong.

Calling fine on flop. 

Why raise turn? And so small? We have show down value, a good draw and possibly more outs if we are not already good.

Cant call river. Has to be a maniac bluff, especially after we raise turn.
  • edited August 2015
    As others have said: Why are you raising turn? You aren't getting called by enough worse hands and you aren't folding out better. Just flat and see a river. Folding river seems fine.... we don't beat anything except a hand like T9 turning it's hand into a bluff.
  • edited August 2015
    Raise on the turn makes me puke a bit
  • edited August 2015
    Think my raise on the turn was to get info on weather he was bluffing or not. I was sure he wasn't after the call then bet on the river so I folded, where as if I just called down all the way I may not have been so convinced and ended up calling a large bet on the river... So it saved me money. That's the idea anyway, was this the wrong play?
  • edited August 2015
    I think when you raise the turn you are effectively bluffing in a spot where your hand will be good a lot of the time, the fact he has 3bet preflop means he is repping a strong hand, when you raise him on the turn he might fold ak/aq and thats about it, and they are the hands you want to keep bluffing you. If he has an overpair then there will be lots of rivers which he probably checks down anyway so the raise on the turn just inflates the pot for no real reason, also if you are ahead on the river its quite likely he will give up as 3 barrell bluffing on a board like that is rare imo.
  • edited August 2015
    fold pre! But I'm a nit.
  • edited August 2015
    fold pre! But I'm a nit.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: was i beat? did i put too much money in the pot?:
    Think my raise on the turn was to get info on weather he was bluffing or not. I was sure he wasn't after the call then bet on the river so I folded, where as if I just called down all the way I may not have been so convinced and ended up calling a large bet on the river... So it saved me money. That's the idea anyway, was this the wrong play?
    Posted by jakeus
    Our primary goal with betting should NEVER be to "find out where we are" If you think villain might be bluffing, then why not just call turn and river (if you think he'll continue to bluff OTR?) By raising turn we are just folding out his bluffs (or worse, giving them the option to raise again - and then you're in a situation where you think you've found out where you are and fold but were in actual fact ahead.)

We should have 2 primary reasons for betting or raising: For value and as a bluff. Raising here is neither for value or as a bluff. Getting information is a side benefit we get from betting