You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I be folding in this situation?

edited August 2015 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
shep56Small blind £0.02£0.02£2.62
LozzaG92Big blind £0.04£0.06£1.20
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

Remlin_1Fold    
Mr_ArsenalRaise £0.08£0.14£8.81
shep56Call £0.06£0.20£2.56
LozzaG92Call £0.04£0.24£1.16
Flop

• J

shep56Bet £0.24£0.48£2.32
LozzaG92Fold    
Mr_ArsenalCall £0.24£0.72£8.57
Turn

• J

shep56Bet £0.72£1.44£1.60
Mr_ArsenalFold    
shep56Muck    
shep56Win £0.66 £2.26
shep56Return £0.72£0.06£2.98
In hindsight I can see I played it wrong on the flop, I min raised pre-flop as the table was quite tight. Guy bets out on flop, just called, figured I was good and was slow playing, waiting for the continuation bet, hoping the turn would be a blank. I realise now I definitely should have raised as there is a straight draw and to see were I'm at, unfortnuately I didn't. Turn comes another jack, he bets pot and as you can see I fold. 

I didn't have any reads on him but as far as I could tell he looked tight from the few hands prior. Should I be folding in this situation? I don't really care about the pot, was only a 2/4p table but interested to know if this is too tight, thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Welcome to the forum boards Mr Arsenal.

Not sure what your bets were previously, but if you've been betting bigger pre-flop up until this hand then I'd suggest you carry on with that to avoid making others suspicious and to ensure you get maximum value from your best hands.  Although on a tight table min-opening almost every button (with all hand strengths) is a pretty good strategy for constantly picking up the blinds and playing lots of small pots post with more marginal hands.

Normally at these levels a pot sized donk bet means top pair or better, unless you have built up notes to the contrary.  With that in mind a chunky raise on the flop seems a good play in order to get maximum value from any Jx hands and it's just unlucky if you run into 2 pair hands or sets.

When we call and they bomb the turn it probably is a sigh fold (without reads), given the default logic of them having at least top pair on the flop and the likelihood they won't bomb 67. Yeah that means you will have been bluffed off a pot on a few rare occasions, but you'll have only lost 8bb (32p) on those occasions and that will easily outweigh the times you will potentially lose a whole stack by calling and then likely having to call another pot sized bet on the river only to find they have trips or a full house.

With more reads there may be a different angle to take and at higher stakes there may be a case for saying that the 2nd jack makes the call easier (as its harder for oppo to have a jack / increases chance they are betting a draw or some sort of 7x hand or 88-TT which we crush), but I think a fold is a good default play in this spot.