You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fixed betting buttons and who uses them and what they mean?

edited August 2015 in Poker Chat
""""Fwiw, it is a tell of some sort usually that he's used the half pot button on turn. Most good players dont use the fixed betting buttons post flop, and it often means something from weaker players."""

I read this ^^^^^^^ in another thread and have noticed the odd comment about the same in other threads. My question is this:

Why is it perceived that most good players don't use these buttons and why?  Is there something I'm missing, or is there an obvious advantage to manually typing bets into the box?

Personally I don't know if I would be considered a good player or weak by some but,  I generally use these buttons as I'm usually multitabling and usually don't have time to type my bet sizes into the box.
I might do it occasionally or use half pot then click the + symbol to add a bit extra now and then.

Comments

• edited August 2015

I guess it just comes down to thinking. I sometimes use the fixed bet buttons but generally try to avoid them. When people just snap bet half pot it suggests they aren't thinking things through to any real degree. Typing in a bet takes that little bit longer, thus at least giving the impression you've given some thought as to the optimal bet sizing.

What about people who have their blinds ready clicked for fold? Little things like that can give you snippets of info IMO.

• edited August 2015
    This sounds condescending so I apologise in advance lol but the people who don't realise why picking your own bet size is better must not understand bet sizing in the first place and the different ways you can manipulate pot size or people's ranges with it.

Each varying bet size serves a purpose so by only using 1/2 pot and 3/4 pot you basically only have 2 weapons in your arsenal. Different board textures, different opponents, different stack depths etc, all potentially call for different bet sizes, and there are alot more different scenarios than there are betting buttons.

Fwiw, I play MTTs and generally 10table (sometimes a little more or less) and I pretty much type in 100% of my bets. The only times I don't are preflop at levels where I am either minraising or 3x'ing, but any levels/stack depths where I want to go somewhere inbetween 2x and 3x and every postflop bet I type it manually. I'm not trying to show off, I just mean it is possible, just takes practice.
  • edited August 2015
    I'm guilty of ticking these before its my turn to act. But that STOPS NOW. 

When im ingame and I raise and I spot an instant fold to my left. I will open up the notes and type "  preselects buttons"  

It's free money if someone's going to pre-select check /fold. 
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Fixed betting buttons and who uses them and what they mean?:
    This sounds condescending so I apologise in advance lol but the people who don't realise why picking your own bet size is better must not understand bet sizing in the first place and the different ways you can manipulate pot size or people's ranges with it. Each varying bet size serves a purpose so by only using 1/2 pot and 3/4 pot you basically only have 2 weapons in your arsenal. Different board textures, different opponents, different stack depths etc, all potentially call for different bet sizes, and there are alot more different scenarios than there are betting buttons. Fwiw, I play MTTs and generally 10table (sometimes a little more or less) and I pretty much type in 100% of my bets. The only times I don't are preflop at levels where I am either minraising or 3x'ing, but any levels/stack depths where I want to go somewhere inbetween 2x and 3x and every postflop bet I type it manually. I'm not trying to show off, I just mean it is possible, just takes practice.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Not condescending at all mate. I totally get what you're saying above. As I said in op, I generally use them as I feel they will generally be around the size I have in my head. If it isn't I will click the + button to add a bb or 2 etc.
    I was just wanted to get some insight into it and  the thoughts of others.
  • edited August 2015
    I'm guilty of ticking these before its my turn to act. But that STOPS NOW.  When im ingame and I raise and I spot an instant fold to my left. I will open up the notes and type "  preselects buttons"   It's free money if someone's going to pre-select check /fold. 
    Posted by mumsie
    Yeah I'm guilty of sometimes having fold pre selected (and before any action, as clicking fold in the SB if UTG has raised is a different kettle of fish) if I'm dealt 7 2 UTG+1 for example. I think its more of an issue when on the button and in the blinds.

If you raise the button and both blinds snap fold, IE pre selected and not just a quick pass, then it can give you bits of info that you might be able to use later on. Likewise if it folds to you in the SB and you make up and they insta check, you can generally assume they don't have a very good hand.
  • edited August 2015
    I guess it just comes down to thinking. I sometimes use the fixed bet buttons but generally try to avoid them. When people just snap bet half pot it suggests they aren't thinking things through to any real degree. Typing in a bet takes that little bit longer, thus at least giving the impression you've given some thought as to the optimal bet sizing. What about people who have their blinds ready clicked for fold? Little things like that can give you snippets of info IMO.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I already note the clicked for fold thing. Question though: An experienced player raises pre and is called and wants to bet around half pot and does. How do you know if he is thinking it through to any degree if he/she is on autopilot? Would you note it? Would you only note it if they're a serial half pot betting machine etc?
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Fixed betting buttons and who uses them and what they mean? : Not condescending at all mate. I totally get what you're saying above. As I said in op, I generally use them as I feel they will generally be around the size I have in my head. If it isn't I will click the + button to add a bb or 2 etc. I was just wanted to get some insight into it and  the thoughts of others.
    Posted by cowhead
    A few bb here and there really matter. If we can get the same answer with 8bb bet then why bet 10bb? 1/2 or 3/4 pot is a arbitary sizing and doesnt factor in stack sizing, board texture etc. 

Generally using the buttons means someone isnt thinking in much detail about what they are doing and why.
  • edited August 2015
    there is just such a huge difference between a half pot bet and a 3/4 pot bet, as With lambert in the very early stages of MTT's I will often use the buttons as a means of time saving when it makes very little difference, but as soon as everyone is playing under 100bbs then I'd start thinking more about my sizes, my normal flop bets are between 3/8's and 5/8's depending on the flop and then on the turn it can vary beween 2/8's and 6/8's depending on the texture and what i want my opponent to do/think
  • edited August 2015
    I use the fold pre automatically button after an action has happened and sometimes before an action has happened depending on my hand. I really don't think it matters much because I know what ranges I'm playing from each position and that I'm always folding certain hands (anything off-suit andunconnected) regardless of the action before me. I still have enough hands where I'm wait/deciding that nobody will be able to exploit me by just raising all the time (especially as I'll use that information to 3b them wider)

As for using the pre-select bet-sizes. It would be nice if sky could let you choose your own pre-set amount but unfortunately that's not an option right now! I find bet-sizing an interest topic and it's the one thing that after years of playing I still don't think I've anywhere near mastered it. I'm a lot better than I was though and probably one of the first regs on sky to start utilising smaller c-bets in late stages of MTT's. But deep stacked is a whole different ball game.

It's also different when you are playing against REGs you have history with... against good players you really don't want to be varying your bet size amount too much because trying to balance ranges with different bet-sizes (not to mention the fact you also have checking as an option - and need a balanced range for checking) is just super difficult. But against players you have little history with it's more important to play a little more exploitively and try and find the optimal bet-size for your particular hand in that particular slot. 

Do I use the pre-set amounts? I will sometimes, and don't think it's too big a deal. I'll use half pot bets on dry boards in Holdem when I have a wide range and we're fairly deep stacked. And in omaha I'll use 3/4 bets on semi-wet boards especially if I'm playing against the same villain lots in HU or short handed play. But yeah generally apart from that I don't really use the pre-set amounts.
  • edited August 2015
    All good info fellas. Just  touching on something Ivan has mentioned. Do/would you use the 1/2 3/4 pot buttons to look like its just a standard c-bet etc v certain players in certain spots? Ie: raise with premium or any sort of decent holding and flop huge and just insta smash the half pot button to make it look like a standard c-bet appearing not to have given it much thought? Or: mash 3/4 on a wet flop to appear to be protecting a premium pp?