You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My experience with variance

edited August 2015 in Poker Chat
I will start this with a **touch wood** I have just come out the other side of the largest break even / downswing I have ever encountered across cash and HUSNGS - across all sites it has lasted around 2000 games and a large amount of cash hands 15k+

breaking even for long stretches is brutal.... if i was losing during this period I would probably of quit all together.

The sick thing is this is not even "that bad" compared to what some winning players experience.

Variance can make you question the way you play, your mental strength and anything else you can think of, and if it finds a single chink in your armour it can destroy you.

For new players you need to understand that this will happen to us all at some point and variance is the exact reason that we see so many "poker is rigged" & "this site is rigged" posts..... but non of that is true.... it is just lady luck giving you one hell of a beating.... it can feel like Mike Tyson has just gave you a donkey punch!

The truth is there is only on way out of variance.... keep the volume and study to ensure you have not slipped into bad habbits (this can happen to the best of us)

We all have small stretches when your top 2 gets runner runnered or your straight gets flushed on the river after an opponent re shoves queen high on the flop.... but when this happens over a large sample you need to be prepared.

Keep your chin up.... your strategy tight & soilder on

Comments

• edited August 2015

Terrific post, Danny, especially this.....

".....For new players you need to understand that this will happen to us all at some point and variance is the exact reason that we see so many "poker is rigged" & "this site is rigged" posts....."

Truth is, poker really tests our character & mettle, & not everyone can cope with downswings without blaming something else. 

Every time I play, & put an outdraw on someone, I see the same thing in the chatbox. "of course", "rigged or wot",  & the most senseless of all "this site is a joke". What sort of "joke" is that, mate? THINk aboit what you are saying.

How EXACTLY do Sky Poker, who can't yet even sort the software to implement running antes, manage to get the software to favour player x over player y?

I feel sorry for these players, I really do, they just don't get how brutal & wonderful poker can be. Some days brutal, some days wonderful, but rarely what or when we expect.

At my age, I've had enough high variance stuff, so I play the lowest variance game possible - PLO8 DYM's. You can't get lower variance than those. I make a small but steady profit in them, & I know what I'm doing. I've had several streaks of 11 or 12 straight wins. How is it possible that I could also suffer losing streaks of 11 or 12, too? But I do.

One of the more erudite types - may have been Geldy - did a maths based summing up of those long streaks. He proved that if I win, say, 60% of all DYM's I play (& I do), & I play, say, 5,000 of them every year, then the maths says I WILL suffer a 10 game winning or losing streak x times per year.  

It's why poker is such a great game - if we have the backbone.

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance:
    Terrific post, Danny, especially this..... ".....For new players you need to understand that this will happen to us all at some point and variance is the exact reason that we see so many "poker is rigged" & "this site is rigged" posts....." Truth is, poker really tests our character & mettle, & not everyone can cope with downswings without blaming something else.  Every time I play, & put an outdraw on someone, I see the same thing in the chatbox. "of course", "rigged or wot",  & the most senseless of all "this site is a joke". What sort of "joke" is that, mate? THINk aboit what you are saying. How EXACTLY do Sky Poker, who can't yet even sort the software to implement running antes, manage to get the software to favour player x over player y? I feel sorry for these players, I really do, they just don't get how brutal & wonderful poker can be. Some days brutal, some days wonderful, but rarely what or when we expect.   At my age, I've had enough high variance stuff, so I play the lowest variance game possible - PLO8 DYM's. You can't get lower variance than those. I make a small but steady profit in them, & I know what I'm doing. I've had several streaks of 11 or 12 straight wins. How is it possible that I could also suffer losing streaks of 11 or 12, too? But I do. One of the more erudite types - may have been Geldy - did a maths based summing up of those long streaks. He proved that if I win, say, 60% of all DYM's I play (& I do), & I play, say, 5,000 of them every year, then the maths says I WILL suffer a 10 game winning or losing streak x times per year.   It's why poker is such a great game - if we have the backbone.    
    Posted by Tikay10

there ia great tool for heads up playera that you can play with called the husng variance calculator (it basically keeps me sane during rough patches) the better you are the less variance you suffer but even the best players in the world can gp turough a ten thousand game break even / downswing. 

Also winning 60 / 100 is excellent Nd equates to around a 15% roi off the top of my head

• edited August 2015
    Great post

Just one comment though and I don't mean to derail.
    This 60% Dym figure keeps being mentioned. I know of 2/3 players only over a proper sample that have a 60% win rate at dyms
  • edited August 2015
    Great post Just one comment though and I don't mean to derail. This 60% Dym figure keeps being mentioned. I know of 2/3 players only over a proper sample that have a 60% win rate at dyms
    Posted by Jac35
    I may have been guilty of gilding the lily there, apologies, I guess that generally I'm somewhere in the 57% or 58% region, though I genuinely believe 60% is very attainable for me, & I know of numerous PLO8 DYM-ers that achieve 60%. It's the hope that keeps me going......

Sample size, I know, but we did a 100 game challenge recently, & I concentrated like billy-o to do my best. The thread is still on here somewhere, but I think it was won by someone who achieved 69%. (BBMike?). Think I got 65% or somesuch, & never even got on the podium. Think 67bhoys & Talon both did better than 67%. I'm pretty sure I could name a handful of Ploppers who beat 60% long-term. Maybe you should join us. Come on in, the water's warm......
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : I may have been guilty of gilding the lily there, apologies, I guess that generally I'm somewhere in the 57% or 58% region, though I genuinely believe 60% is very attainable for me, & I know of numerous PLO8 DYM-ers that achieve 60%. It's the hope that keeps me going...... Sample size, I know, but we did a 100 game challenge recently, & I concentrated like billy-o to do my best. The thread is still on here somewhere, but I think it was won by someone who achieved 69%. (BBMike?). Think I got 65% or somesuch, & never even got on the podium. Think 67bhoys & Talon both did better than 67%.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I didn't mean you were doing that Tikay. I don't know your win rate. I only check the players I play against regularly.
    It's just my opinion that players may get a false impression of what is good at Dyms. I saw someone wrote a few days that they were going to pack the games up because they couldn't achieve 60%.

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : I didn't mean you were doing that Tikay. I don't know your win rate. I only check the players I play against regularly. It's just my opinion that players may get a false impression of what is good at Dyms. I saw someone wrote a few days that they were going to pack the games up because they couldn't achieve 60%.
    Posted by Jac35
    If I knew I could achieve 60% in DYM's, & there was enough liquidity, I'd play them all day every day, believe me. That's 10% ROI, I think, which would be stunning.  
  • edited August 2015
    I think Any 2 is grumpy today ;) I'm guessing I'm one of the players mentioned comfortably over 60%....

I had the 'pleasure' of sharing a table with Fliddyfish yesterday. He is the guy who sometimes posts in the clinic, and doesn't like to use punctuation. He said he'd gone 6 weeks recently not winning a flip or any heads, and then the last 2 weeks he'd been winning everything. I mentioned the V word, and he dismissed this out of hand. Apparently the site decided it was time for him to win or some such. I questioned why he continued to play on a site that he believes his dodgy, no answer was forthcoming. He also struggled to grasp the concept that some players will deposit X amount, and that will last them 2 weeks and it is purely a source of entertainment for them.

I think it's safe to say there will always be a small pool of players who will never embrace variance, and prefer to blame the site or other players instead of looking in the mirror.
  • edited August 2015
    I think Any 2 is grumpy today ;)  Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Today?
  • edited August 2015
    I think that you are both missing my point. 
    If players assume that you're only ever any good at dyms if you have a 60% win rate, then there will be many disappointed players. Players who may well give them up.

If Bradman had been convinced by people that you were only a good batsmen if you averaged over a 100, he would have ended up considering himself a disappointment
  • edited August 2015
    I think that you are both missing my point.  If players assume that you're only ever any good at dyms if you have a 60% win rate, then there will be many disappointed players. Players who may well give them up. If Bradman had been convinced by people that you were only a good batsmen if you averaged over a 100, he would have ended up considering himself a poor player
    Posted by Jac35
    I don't think so, maybe my replies were badly worded.

Anyone who can manage 55% is doing ok in my book. Above that, it's all gravy baby.

• edited August 2015
    I think that you are both missing my point.  If players assume that you're only ever any good at dyms if you have a 60% win rate, then there will be many disappointed players. Players who may well give them up. If Bradman had been convinced by people that you were only a good batsmen if you averaged over a 100, he would have ended up considering himself a disappointment
    Posted by Jac35
    Surely the win rate is largely irrelevant to players, who will mostly continue to play as long as they are winning and seenig their balance grow?

Great read in the OP - it'll never change the conspiracy crew but always a nice reality check to see how bad things can run for even the better players out there.

Even if I one day did become a half decent player, that sort of possibility would be more than enough to stop me considering poker as anything other than a fun hobby.  The thought of working 40+ hour weeks and getting no pay or negative pay for a couple of months is horrific. Doff my metaphorical cap to all those that have the mental strength to earn their money that way.
  • edited August 2015
    and if you play 700 games a month for a year, and have a win rate of 66%, then it is 50:50 you will see a winning run of 20!
  • edited August 2015
    I think Any 2 is grumpy today ;) I'm guessing I'm one of the players mentioned comfortably over 60%.... I had the 'pleasure' of sharing a table with Fliddyfish yesterday. He is the guy who sometimes posts in the clinic, and doesn't like to use punctuation. He said he'd gone 6 weeks recently not winning a flip or any heads, and then the last 2 weeks he'd been winning everything. I mentioned the V word, and he dismissed this out of hand. Apparently the site decided it was time for him to win or some such. I questioned why he continued to play on a site that he believes his dodgy, no answer was forthcoming. He also struggled to grasp the concept that some players will deposit X amount, and that will last them 2 weeks and it is purely a source of entertainment for them. I think it's safe to say there will always be a small pool of players who will never embrace variance, and prefer to blame the site or other players instead of looking in the mirror.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    This post summarises a particular issue though - players may understand that some hands they're lucky and some they get unlucky. But I must admit I have wondered why this often seems to be so 'streaky' - I have had about 4 days play when I know had the breaks overly in my favour. Today, I've have 9 losses and 1 win. In those losses had all forms, gutshots hitting when all in against me, gives me top pairs.houses but of course they have quads (twice today that happened in those 9 losses).

A player can realise they will face variance, but it is a lot harder to see why it isn't more spread, rather than just feeling golden or doomswitched in period of play each day.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : This post summarises a particular issue though - players may understand that some hands they're lucky and some they get unlucky. But I must admit I have wondered why this often seems to be so 'streaky' - I have had about 4 days play when I know had the breaks overly in my favour. Today, I've have 9 losses and 1 win. In those losses had all forms, gutshots hitting when all in against me, gives me top pairs.houses but of course they have quads (twice today that happened in those 9 losses). A player can realise they will face variance, but it is a lot harder to see why it isn't more spread, rather than just feeling golden or doomswitched in period of play each day.
    Posted by swanstu
    It's all in the maths, Swan.

There's nothing else it could be, is there?

• edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : This post summarises a particular issue though - players may understand that some hands they're lucky and some they get unlucky. But I must admit I have wondered why this often seems to be so 'streaky' - I have had about 4 days play when I know had the breaks overly in my favour. Today, I've have 9 losses and 1 win. In those losses had all forms, gutshots hitting when all in against me, gives me top pairs.houses but of course they have quads (twice today that happened in those 9 losses). A player can realise they will face variance, but it is a lot harder to see why it isn't more spread, rather than just feeling golden or doomswitched in period of play each day.
    Posted by swanstu

bad beats inherently lead to bad decision however much you wish not to believe this..... you question if what you have been doing is wrong and make adjustments that are possibly - ev.... this can lead to bad calls that lead to more "bad beats"

or luck could just be beating you up that day. the fact is its not streaky at all but you will remember the patches where you couldnt win all day.... you wont remember the days you win on lose one win one lose one
  • edited August 2015
    Posted by swanstu
    You're far too short sighted. You need to look long term, and long term is thousands of tournaments/cash games covering hundreds of thousands of hands over many months and years. Just looking at a 4 day window is ridiculously pointless.

There is no rhyme or reason with variance. Poker, by its very nature, means that variance won't be evenly spread. But the people who are good or excellent players, and who put the volume in, will be on the right side of variance more often than not. They are not immune from going through a rough patch, but they are in a better place mentally to cope with it and let it ride.

And remember, if it can happen in poker, it can happen. 'Miracle' runner runners happen because the maths says they can happen. If you're not drawing dead then you always have a chance, regardless of how remote or improbable it seems.
  • edited August 2015
    Posted by swanstu
    You toss a coin 20 times, and it could feasibly land heads 17/20. You could do it another 20 times, and it could land heads another 17/20 times.

You toss a coin 20,000 times and its gonna be 50/50, give or take.
  • edited August 2015

Didn't help my experience with variance when the last game in bad run happened to disconnect me too! That's just variance taking the P!

I know it can be psychological, seeing and remembering bad/good streaks rather than when it was more mixed. Perhaps it doesn't help when those miracle runners seem to come straight on the back of the gutshot that just beat you, as variance often seems to link hands with ridiculous cards that appear at the right/wrong time.

I guess what itsover said above is part of the answer, that specific aspects will always stay in memory much more than others. 

Scary for OP though, you mentioned 'coming out' of a downswing - that actually makes no sense, if we really believe that past has no relation to your future luck. You could just be hitting an even bigger downswing right now.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : You toss a coin 20 times, and it could feasibly land heads 17/20. You could do it another 20 times, and it could land heads another 17/20 times. You toss a coin 20,000 times and its gonna be 50/50, give or take.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

If you toss a coin 20,00 times you need to re-evaluate what you are doing with your life.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : If you toss a coin 20,00 times you need to re-evaluate what you are doing with your life.
    Posted by jordz16
    Sigh, that was gonna be the highlight of my weekend as well.
  • edited August 2015
    I don't know if this is relevant but, I did a little easy maths on the DYM example. (similar to husngs expectations?)

If a player has a  55% win rate in dym's then after rake he's breaking even.
    Eg: 100 games at $11 = $1100. 55 X $20 = $1100.

IMO 55% in these is a solid rate and as some of the guys have already said, some of the best dym players on the site have a win rate not too much over this (67%ish). Going back to the husngs Id say breaking even over a large sample size is very possible unless you're an absolute hu god.

Bear in mind also that (IMO) most of the players that play husng's are usually pretty good players and may have an edge on you and add to that the luck factor is increased in hu matches. In dyms you generally don't need to win a lot of hands v (again imo not as good players) who make standard mistakes.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : If you toss a coin 20,00 times you need to re-evaluate what you are doing with your life.
    Posted by jordz16
    WP
  • edited August 2015
    Didn't help my experience with variance when the last game in bad run happened to disconnect me too! That's just variance taking the P! I know it can be psychological, seeing and remembering bad/good streaks rather than when it was more mixed. Perhaps it doesn't help when those miracle runners seem to come straight on the back of the gutshot that just beat you, as variance often seems to link hands with ridiculous cards that appear at the right/wrong time. I guess what itsover said above is part of the answer, that specific aspects will always stay in memory much more than others.  Scary for OP though, you mentioned 'coming out' of a downswing - that actually makes no sense, if we really believe that past has no relation to your future luck. You could just be hitting an even bigger downswing right now.
    Posted by swanstu

I could be ready to go on another downswing your quite correct but one thing is for sure in another 10,000 husngs I will have earned more than I am on now.... because variance is short term but roi is the truth.

and you can safely assume you are coming out of a downswing / break even patch when your graph stops going down or level and starts moving up again
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : I could be ready to go on another downswing your quite correct but one thing is for sure in another 10,000 husngs I will have earned more than I am on now.... because variance is short term but roi is the truth. and you can safely assume you are coming out of a downswing / break even patch when your graph stops going down or level and starts moving up again
    Posted by Itsover4u
    Sadly this is incorrect.

I read/listened to an audio book called 'The Poker Mindset' (I think), similar kinda idea as the Mental Game of Poker, and they discuss various mental game issues. One thing is that downswings are totally random and have no pattern at all. Loads of times people make statements like the bolded bit but where luck is involved the past does not inform the future...

The odds of you losing 10 HU SnGs in a row are X
    If that happens, u log out, come back the next day and plan to play 10 more HU SnGs (I know you'd play more lol), the odds of losing those 10 in a row are still X too.

It's like winning the lottery is X chance. If you won the lottery the week before, your odds of winning it next week are no smaller or bigger than any other week.

So sadly you can have a brutal 10 big losing sessions in a row, win in the 11th session, then get hammered in the following 10 sessions again. Pretty much anything can happen and that can deffo be a grim thought.
  • edited August 2015
    I understand that completely but if you are a winning player eventually things will swing your way.... its just a grin and bare it situation
  • edited August 2015
    I understand that completely but if you are a winning player eventually things will swing your way.... its just a grin and bare it situation
    Posted by Itsover4u

Who knows who's a 'winning player' and who's just got some good luck with variance so much around ;)

In theory any player could lose every hand for the rest of their career. Not likely, but not impossible. So, becoming a winning or losing player when you should be the opposite is actually quite likely comparing to that. 
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : Who knows who's a 'winning player' and who's just got some good luck with variance so much around ;) In theory any player could lose every hand for the rest of their career. Not likely, but not impossible. So, becoming a winning or losing player when you should be the opposite is actually quite likely comparing to that. 
    Posted by swanstu

no you misunderstand variance completely..... the chances of a player losing with say a 10% roi in HUSNGs over 100k games would be just about impossible. Variance is something that can efffect winning players but will not stop them from winning long term.

It is not something that can go on for a whole career (unless you are a losing player) as it will always even out the same as the coin flip analogy.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : Who knows who's a 'winning player' and who's just got some good luck with variance so much around ;) In theory any player could lose every hand for the rest of their career. Not likely, but not impossible. So, becoming a winning or losing player when you should be the opposite is actually quite likely comparing to that. 
    Posted by swanstu
    In theory yes but in reality no.

Poker is a game of short term luck and long term skill. If a player is good and puts in the effort to improve, whilst also putting in the volume, they will make money long term. And its the reverse for poor players, they might have the odd result here and there (short term luck) but generally they will lose money. Some of the best players can have a rough patch, just like some of the worst players can put a couple of scores together, but the status quo will soon be reverted to.

It's clear you have a bee in your bonnet about something....
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My experience with variance : In theory yes but in reality no. Poker is a game of short term luck and long term skill. If a player is good and puts in the effort to improve, whilst also putting in the volume, they will make money long term. And its the reverse for poor players, they might have the odd result here and there (short term luck) but generally they will lose money. Some of the best players can have a rough patch, just like some of the worst players can put a couple of scores together, but the status quo will soon be reverted to. It's clear you have a bee in your bonnet about something....
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    No bee, just pointing out the extremes of variance possible.

Saying it can't happen is like saying you don't face quads v your fh in consecutive hands - not likely, but possible.